1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Ruin by Master Slytherin

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Ragon, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

MS always surprised me with his pairing choices. A dark harry with ginny! unimaginable but he has done it and it was well readable.

2. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Again, 'Grapevine' was H/G. 'Ruin' (you know, the current incarnation) is apparently not. Frankly I'd say he's angling for L/H in this one.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    His earlier story was H/G, but not H/GinnySue; there is a difference. For what it's worth, some of the best H/G I've read were linked on this site.

H/G can work if written carefully, though you have to work much harder to find anything novel. This is in contrast to, say, Harry/Lily or Harry/Molly, where the pairing itself supplies all the novelty one needs.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know, I think there's some kind of odd blindness occurring on DLP with regards to this story.

5. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Harry/OCsister?

6. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I'm thinking that it might be Harry/Andromeda. So far I'm enjoying the story, it hasn't blown me away or anything but I'm still looking forward to the next update. For now I'd give it a 4/5 with potential to be better.

Edit:

Considering his sister would be at most something like 2 and 1/2 years old that makes oh so much sense...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This. ^

Ted Tonks is in the way. I predict death.

8. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Great minds eh? ;)

9. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

He's even dumber than canon Harry then. Lestrange returns Teddy to his grandmother. Then yells "Gotcha, bitch!" and AKs her in her blood traitor face since the only person who knew there was danger walked through the veil. Zing.

The first chapter was a lame device to get him through the veil. But the story improves markedly from there, at least.

10. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Andromeda would seem likely but like MS mentioned on the title page it would happen in the second installment even if Ted Tonks died like next chapter i cant see HP hookin up with Andromeda anytime soon...well unless he goes like 19 years in the future epilogue? Im hoping for Alice Longbottom, with Vash co-writing the Lemon that kicks shit off.

11. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If HP and Andromeda are forced to continue working together on missions for the Order after Ted's (hypothetical) death, then I can see something developing despite the inappropriateness and guilt.

That's a bit of a long shot, but I'm calling it.

12. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

When I sat down to read the first chapter of this, my first thought was, "Damn, Harry's let himself go."

13. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Master Slytherin's story-telling is at a level not many can compare with. While I do not really liked how Harry essentially threw himself threw the Veil, everything from there on was well-written. Definitely a 5/5.

I also think MS is going for a H/A pairing, but I would not really be surprised if it became H/Lily in the end, if he thought it fit the plot.

In "What Lies Beneath", he originally intended it to be H/T, then changed his mind and tried to go for a H/Hr because of plot-related reasons before finally settling back for H/T after he altered the plot. In short, nothing is guaranteed with Master Slytherin, pairing wise, despite what he might have said.

14. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Ah, I can see the confusion.

By L/H I meant Luna/Harry, not lilly

Edit: Always vote for the more insane pairings when it comes to MS's work...

Actually I'd like to revise my vote, I'm going for Harry/Ariana.
    ^.^ It'd be an Epic Win.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  15. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Meh. It has promise. Too short though to really tell.

16. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Agreed. When an author takes the time to make Ginny their own, she can be just as good as any other character...

EXCEPT, even a great depiction of Ginny will carry the baggage of canonsue!Ginny and marysue!Ginny around with her, because people will automatically assume what she'll be like and dismiss your story, even if you've rewritten her from the ground up. They will not only choose to pass over your story, they will recommend that others do the same, even though they haven't read it.

Personally, I don't bother clicking on Harry/Ginny stories anymore unless the summary is very compelling (edit: or it has been recommended), and since so many people write summaries full of spelling/grammatical errors and/or say things like, "I stink at summeries" (sic), story is much better!" (yeah, right) you can bet that's not many.

It's a shame that a story with a decent Ginny was discontinued. This Ginny seemed like a good person and while it wasn't precisely smart to follow Harry into the veil, it was selfless and devoted.

Hmmph, it would be nice to see a decent Harry/Lily story actually survive to completion as well (no, one-shots don't count).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  17. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

no harry/lily? :(

18. Cy Block

Cy Block Second Year

The opening scene in Harry’s flat was very well thought out and executed. There should be more stories where he is a proper Englishman and watches the football. So far this alternative universe seems suitably alternative to be utterly unpredictable. I did not read the H/G story this is based on, don’t know if I would have, but am interested enough to keep following “Ruin”.

It is very well written and reasonably well paced. For now it’s a solid 4/5.

19. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I thought proper Englishmen were more into Cricket, and the hooligans were the Soccer lovers or is that just stereotypes?

Moving on to the story.

I have never read any others of Master Slytherins's works, but I like this one. Others have expressed that Harry's reason to jump into the veil were dumb, I happen to disagree. It completely fits into canon!Harry's character. He wouldn't let his godson die, because of him, even if it meant his own death.

Following that the story has, so far, been very well written, and it has a reasonable pace. The update rate isn't too bad. The characterization seems top notch for the characters we know like Dumbledore, Moody and Harry, and even Lucius, once you take DH into account. Lily and Andromeda are interesting, but Lily's character should be explored better once she she gets over her grief. As for the pairing, I believe it is headed into the Harry/Andromeda direction. I have seen only one one Harry/Andromeda pairing before, so they don't get any rarer than this one.

I found only one mistake in the latest chapter.
    It should be "Yes, it is I who convinced the Ministry"

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  20. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

RIP Heath Ledger