1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Soul Calibur 4

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

So I just got the game for the PS3. Haven't played the actual story yet, just messed around in training and played a few guys online. Playing against people online on a games release date is awesome, no one knows wtf they're doing and they're just mashing buttons. I kept owning these two faggots that couldn't even block because I had bothered to train for 10 minutes beforehand. XD

Anyways, who else has it? Thoughts?

2. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

Bought the 360 version yesterday and spent quite a bit of time playing it. I think that it's a great fighting game and that it definately continues the Soul Caliber tradition of excellence a playability. Haven't been able to get an online match going yet, so no opinion there. I have been playing a lot of the Tower levels and playing around with the character creation. It's a pretty in depth system and I do like the rpg elements that the skill system brings to the experience. The character creator is pretty deep at least in my opinon. I have been playing as Yoda quite a bit and I found his control scheme to be really quite fun. Little bastard is a flying muppet of ass-kickery. What do PS3 gamers think of Vader?

3. The Deadman

The Deadman Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

I got this yesterday and spent all day playing it. This game is full of win. Vader isn't so bad, but it's kind of difficult for me to control him. But that's just me.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Vader is pretty fun to play with. I still have to get a handle on his Force moves though. ~_~

Nightmare is also an awesome character to play with. XD

5. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I haven't played it yet, I might rent it though.

Are the Jedi pretty well balanced?

6. kraytkiller

kraytkiller Second Year

Guildmate of mine broke his cellphone, TV, TV remote and mic because he got so frustrated trying to beat some kind of jedi apprentice.

So i'd say theyre rather balanced, yeah.

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

... what? Rofl.

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble beating the Jedi Apprentice in the arcade mode. More trouble with him than the final boss, in fact. Took 20 minutes to beat him, 10 or so minutes to beat the last character. Worth it in the end, got the Apprentice. :D

I like the Apprentice much more than Vader for the sole fact that he's agile. Vader moves too slow for me. >_>

8. kraytkiller

kraytkiller Second Year

Wish I had the money to buy this game, but I have to save up for MMO subscriptions. Lame. The commercials looked pretty amazing.

9. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Soulcalibur or Soul Calibur not "Soul Caliber".

10. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ^lol

I haven't played yet, but I thought I'd comment. Why would anyone think Vader would move fast? Or even regular speed? We saw what happened to him in RotS, don't you think he might have had trouble breathing, and he couldn't move quickly?

Anyway how is yoda? A friend of mine got it and I'll probably play tomorrow.

11. kraytkiller

kraytkiller Second Year

Yeah, I once read a Star Wars book (An actual, official book) where it mentioned that his suit was rather badly crafted and had several problems and he didn't get used to it until after 10+ years of being in the thing, and had to remake his entire lightsaber style due to it. Also it was amazingly heavy of course, I believe he had to use the force to even be able to move.

I heard yoda is kind of annoying to play with, since every attack is a jump, as it should be. But I also heard that he attacks super quick and if your good with him it really shows skill. But, I have not played the game at all though I have ordered it now. So this is all collected from comments on youtube videos and the like.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  12. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

One thing is for certain about Yoda. If you have a friend that's grab happy, USE THE SHORT GREEN GUY. Fucker can't be grabbed.

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Funny thing about that is that even if you have two Yoda's against each other, they can't grab each other. XD

But yeah, I hear Yoda is fucked up. He's so short that some moves just go right over him, and then there's the whole grab thing.

14. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

The game looks interesting. Makes me wish I had a PS3/Xbox360.

But I hated SC3... so I'm still wary. How is balance? Move sets? Are they more like SC2 or SC3? I loved the first and second Soul Caliburs.

And what's with Soul Calibur and cameos? First there's Link/Spawn then Lloyd and now Star Wars stuff. It's a little awkward, no?

15. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I lol @ Zasalamel in a suit.

But then again, out of all the endings that was the best one.

16. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Yoda is ridiculously broken in comparison with the other Jedi. I gave Vader a whirl yesterday at my PS3 owning mate's house, but for online annihilation he's got nothing on the green midget.

Seeing some dumb twat try to grab me for the 5th time online: Priceless.

Still, just unlocked the Apprentice, (my advice, use some Kilik-Fu) so now its time to try out the character creation. Hmmm... hopefully Katanas won't be plagued by instant-fail online in SC4 as well.

17. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

From what I can remember of Darth Vader's story, he sensed a slight ripple of power. He didn't dismiss it and began an investigation, without anyone else knowing. As time went on, the ripples became more frequent, until there was a constant disturbance in that area of space. He realized that a being from another dimension was trying to open a portal into their universe.

He figured out that there was an immense energy source beyond the portal. He wanted that energy for himself, so he secured that area, and once the portal was fully open, he entered. The power, of course, are the two swords.

The apprentice's story is basically the same, I think, except that Vader sent him into the portal instead of going in himself.

But does the story really matter? :p

19. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

I have this game and I can officially say I still fucking pwn with Voldo.

20. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Hate that freak. It's just disgusting, and his moonwalk doesn't make it any better.

Love Amy, though. Fast and agile as hell, just how I like my characters in a Fighting game (and my lolis). The only problem I've got with her is her short range, which puts me at a huge disadvantage against Siegrfried, Nightmare, Astaroth and other "big bastards".

As for the Jedis, Yoda is sort of broken but fun to play with, and the apprentice makes a hell of a fighter once you learn to control him.