1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned He's Not Normal by Uncle Stojil - T

Discussion in 'Humor' started by KrzaQ, Aug 4, 2008.

1. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Title: He's Not Normal
    Author: Uncle Stojil
    Rating: T
    Genre: Parody/General
    DLP Category: Humor/Parody
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 6
    Words: 51,722
    Updated: May 24, 2010
    Published: June 5, 2008

Summary: Harry Potter goes back in time and has to start everything again. Do you think he will be careful not to screw the timeline up? No, he doesn’t even think about it! A story featuring a loony Harry and a Magical World that seems willing to adapt to him.
    Link: [He's Not Normal]

It's my first recommendation, I hope format is all right.
    I laughed quite a bit while reading. There are no obvious grammar or spelling errors (at least for me).
    “What do you mean you don’t have super-uber trunks?” asked Harry not a little shocked.
    “Sorry but…” started the confused clerk of ‘Magical Trunks’ only to be interrupted by the strange boy who had asked strange questions for the last five minutes.
    “Are you saying you don’t have trunks that contain at least a million compartments, infinite space, a room where you can train and where the time passes by much more slowly than in reality, and that are protected against all kind of charms, jinxes, hexes and curses?”
    The clerk made to speak but his eyes narrowed dangerously when he was interrupted again.
    “Maybe you call them in another way,” Harry mused, bringing a finger to his chin. “Mega-ultra trunks? Great-grand trunks? Bingo-bongo-“
    “WE DON’T HAVE THAT KIND OF TRUNKS!” shouted the poor guy, red faced, who had yet to meet such an annoying client in his two years at his job.
    The clerk tried to regain his temper, while Harry for a moment wore a very puzzled expression. Then the boy shrugged.
    “Okay. A cheap-standard one then, thanks.”
    The clerk just facepalmed himself.

edit:
    Aah! I forgot my rating! 4.25/5

Checked by Minion, February 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  2. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

The Olivander part is fucking win. Just for that, 4/5.

3. Modgudr

Modgudr First Year

The monologue in front of the Leaky Cauldron was more amusing, I think, than the Olivander skit. Some very nice barbs at the various AU stories out there, including Twin-Who-Lived and whatnot.

A few places it breaks narrative flow to go on a tangent addressing the reader directly, and I am not sure whether to read it as Harry's stream of consciousness or just a break of narrative. It would probably fit better if the story was written in first person, if the former. Since it never lasts long, and since the story is a parody, it does not really detract from the reading, if the latter.

4. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Love the way hes dealing with the cliches you see in other storys :) Most amusing part so far would have to be either the magical trunk or Olivanders.

4/5

5. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

In desperate need of a beta, but a lot of fun ideas here; 3.5 rounded up.

6. Cy Block

Cy Block Second Year

This is really badly written. I understand that not being a native speaker complicates things, but I’m not entirely sure that is the cause of the biggest problems. The constant jumps from third to second person are bad. The fact that the author is very much in love with his own cleverness is worse. This needs a lot of work to become decent and even then I’m not sure I like the characters.

Update: Because I’m trying something new: This is like a Friedberg/Seltzer film. 2/5

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  7. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Really does need a beta, but other than that it's a pure-fucking-win.

8. della_couer

della_couer Second Year

A funny read with a real sarcastic edge. I enjoyed this story, it's a little early to foresee what sort of plot or purpose this fic may have but in general the mocking of some fanfiction convictions has been well worth the read.

I'd have to disagree with the previous comment about the writing. I personally found it well above the average level of shit you can find on ff.net and frankly I give props to anyone who attempts to write a story in a secondary language. But even without considering this aspect and evaluating it as I would any fic, I found that the style easy to get immersed in and perhaps more importantly the writer creates a vivid scene and world that the reader can't help but enjoy. The humorous slant and sarcastic view of the 'fanfic canon' is a nice find for those of us who are used to perusing the normal fics. The trunk and Ollivander scene also had me cracking up. Really some funny dialogue all around, some falls flat but, shrug, when doesn't some?

I did note some typos and some structural errors, but in general it wasn't enough to take away from the fic. At least not for me, mind I'd hardly a anal perfectionist when it comes to grammar. I'll let a few errors slide by all in the interest of a good fic. And these chapters are a decent length, which in my opinion both explains and excuses some of the errors.

Harry's character was also well worth the read, no pouty melodrama here, rather a bizarre quirky Harry that isn't intruding on the plot with his uber-angst over the situation he finds himself.

It's hard not to draw parallels to another time travel fic, Timely Errors by Worfe. Each manages to capture a more amusing Harry and avoid a great deal of inner monologue. While that fic in some ways questions the fundamentals of the time travel genre and conventions this fic delves deeper into fanfic lore. Am oddly finding myself optimistic about the future of the HP time travel genre (One which I had assumed would remain plagued by fangirl cliche and abandonment.), although this fic may actually fall more into the 'redo' category.

Either way I enjoyed. 4/5 (merely because a five has to really kick it up a notch, into the "they should publish this" level)

9. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I liked it so far but I'm not sure if the quality can be kept up, once he gets to Hogwarts this is going to need some sort of plot and thats were it might start to go down hill.
    Tentative 4/5

10. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

haha, that was some pretty funny stuff. :)

3/5

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  11. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I read this one around the time it was plugged in Almost Recommended a month or so ago. It's got some moments that make me chuckle and smile. I guess I'm just highly skeptical the author is going to take this anywhere, has any sort of worthwhile plan, or we'll get any sort of plot and story here.

As opposed to the more common parody writing style of making up shit as you go, where you get some really funny hits and some tiresome and unamusing misses before the author runs out of ideas or desire to write and simply gives up or ends the fic suddenly without any story arc or climax.

Because frankly, if that's all this is going to be, then there are some funnier fics of that ilk already. lunakatrina's So Sue Me or even Amsuhl's You're A Wizard, Potter made me chuckle more than this and had just as much purpose and direction as this one appears to have.

3/5, but could easily go up if there's a genuine plot I've overlooked (and not one thrown in after the fact).

12. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Its ok, pretty funny and entertaining, but seemed Meh somehow. Oh well it's worthy of a 4/5.

13. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

It's funny and creative, but it's obvious that there is no general plot. Right now the story has a go-with-the-flow feel. I'm assuming not even the author knows where it's headed. 4/5

14. ZanyMuggle

ZanyMuggle Third Year

I agree, but it doesn't seem to be a bad thing, iin this case. 4/5

15. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

Eh perhaps, the latest chapter seemed to be lacking something though, or maybe the novelty of the story is wearing off.

On the brightside according to the author's note there is some direction on the other hand a direction that makes eye color important is something I think i can do without. I'm counting this at a 3.5/5 but I won't vote till later on.

16. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I disagree. These two are barely funny. About only funny thing in former is owl name. Latter one has no noticeable scenes. Both fics should be in independent-and-sly-and-not-taking-shit-from-anyone-Harry category rather than humor. For me, they hold no candle to this story.

17. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Funny, but practically abandoned after 40k words. It's sad to see all these little strands of plot that'll never be resolved. Quite enjoyable for what it is though.

4/5