1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Greats of FF (not HP)

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by J22, Aug 12, 2008.

1. J22

J22 Seventh Year

Hey, I was looking for something good to read and just wondered what is the best fic outside of HP?
    Obviously anything Dresden is usually good and there are alot of good Naruto fics but anyone got any recs for me?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

3. J22

J22 Seventh Year

Yeah sorry, wasn't really specific about that but I meant fandoms outside of naruto and Dresden as well as HP. Kinda worded that badly.

4. headbanger22

headbanger22 Third Year

Right we will start with Stargate crossovers.

This one is a Babylon 5/Stargate crossover.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2938558/1/Stargate_Thirdspace

This one is a Stargate/battlestar crossover.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3546854/1/Reunions_are_a_Bitch

This one is for Darksiders Spearhead series witch is a Stargate AU.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/185761/Darksider

That's all the Stargate fic's I can think of at the moment so on to other stuff.

This one's pure Babylon 5, but I warn you that it's over a million words long.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2594689/1/The_Dilgar_War

And last two I recommend are not on fanfiction.net but well worth a look.
    "Armageddon??" on stardestroyer.net
    http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=118771
    And Rise Of The Tau on the black library forum
    http://forum.blpublishing.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=216&PN=1

If I think of any more I will let you know.

5. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Any specific fandoms?

6. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

The author of The Dilgar War has also done a lot of other stories, not including some guest work for other authors. On most forums he goes by the screenname of Lightning_Count, and he is as prolific as he is good.:)

Here are some of his other stories that I can find.

Stargate: Chronicles of the Crusade

Iron Star (An amusing snippit)

A Matter of Conscience

Star Wars: Birth of the Republic

The Last Warmaster (Dilgar War sidestory)

The Lost Way (SW story)

Forged in Fire (a very amusing tale involving two 'blood sucking' lawyers, a hellmouth, a demon invasion, nuclear terrorism, the marines from Aliens, and the Governator doing what he does best:D)

Star Trek, The Looming Shadow (abandoned due to excessively annoying fanboys who wouldn't shut up, though the story is still interesting)

Abyss (40K)

The Last Star (Set during the final six months of the Earth/Minbari War)

He's also done a lot of guest writing for other authors as well (A Thin Vineer as an example). He'll have another story out sometime this October (he's said he wants to focus almost exclusively on that story for a while before he gets back to a few of his other stories).

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Here's a bunch of good crossovers:

Other good fics:

Jus Ad Bellum, by Jenn - X-men

From the authors notes:
    Phoenix Burning, by Yahtzee - Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Buffy is resurrected into a dystopian future where a corrupted Council of Watchers rules London and the nation is under siege by vampires.

Ill Met By Starlight, by Susan Doenime and Mike L. - Ranma 1/2. This story is even darker than Jus Ad Bellum and Phoenix Burning. If you haven't read Ranma 1/2 then it might not mean much to you. It's been a long time since I read this, and my standards have changed, but from scanning a few pages just now it is still the same high quality that I recall.

Red Moon, by Fire - Sailor Moon. It's something of a political satire. While not technically perfect, I found it very amusing. It is certainly far different from any other fic I've read. Sailor Moon is a dyed-in-the-wool commie and is determined to use her new powers to turn Japan into a communist utopia. :D

Unrealized Peacekeeper, by OneEye - Farscape AU. It's about 1.5MB. It hasn't been updated in years, but it's still well worth reading. John Crichton works for the Peacekeepers instead of fighting them. Sweet holy Jesus, it's been updated!

Darkness Rising and Rage of the Si'Frant by Alex Foster - Zelda. I can only vaguely remember the plots from these two stories which isn't that surprising since they're from 2001-02. The author continues to write good, if slightly emo, fanfiction today. He has a good grasp of characterisation and motivations. Both fics were adventure, iirc. Besides writing Zelda fanfiction, he's the only person writing Buffy Season 8 fanfic that I've come across.

The Bitter End, by Zen - Ranma 1/2. An epic one shot. Like Red Moon, this may not be brilliant technically, but it is so different to everything else out there that it must be mentioned. It's a dark fic on spousal abuse. Highly recommended. Whenever people in HP fandom make the mistake of thinking that 'one shots' are 'short fics' this is the first fanfic that jumps to mind to dispel that misconception.

Not actually fanfiction, but close:

Sailor Nothing, by Stephan Gagne. It takes the 'magical girl' trope and turns it dark. It's an experimental piece of fiction that is mainly, but not entirely, told through text. The author mixes it up in a bunch of different formats. Some of the story is told with 8-bit RPG-style graphics with crude animations, film script, daily planners, and more. Gagne has gone on to create some hilarious Never Winter Nights mods.

Unreal Estate, by Stephan Gagne. It's full of nerd humour that is seamlessly integrated into the story. If you like jokes about Blue Sky of Death, online multiplayer gaming, and Windows vs Linux, then this is the fic for you. I'll say it again: the nerdy references are very well done, and are not gratuitously shoved in there to annoy you every time you come across them. If you're not, and have never been, a computer and anime nerd, then don't bother.

As the World Dies, by Rhiannon Frater. It's a lengthy zombie apocalypse fic. A female lawyer and a battered house wife escape the city as chaos rises up around them. They struggle to survive in the new world. It's both a dark and uplifting story. The author has since taken it all down except for the first chapter. A revised version is due to be released as a novel in three days, on August 15.

Read the first chapter on ff.n and if you like it enough I might be inclined to send you the remaining 210 chapters. Lesbian themes FTW.

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

This seems like a less than stellar idea and request. One of the biggest differences between fanfiction and original fiction is the audience. Fanfictions are written for people at least familiar with a fandom and its fictional world. Fanfics are for people who are clearly fans of the characters, the universe, and the original source material. (Yes, there's a point where some of the most diehard of fans begin to hate their fandom, but for the most part this is true.)

So identifying the best, let's say, Sopranos fanfiction won't necessarily lead to an enjoyable reading experience unless you are a fan of the Sopranos. Or at least, it won't be as enjoyable to Joe Schmoe as it would be to a big Sopranos fan.

You're better off just thinking of movies, books/comics, or tv shows you like and seeking out the popular fanfictions there.

Fanfiction is like writing the sequel to something extremely popular, only your audience has zero expectations of your sequel living up to the original. They just want to see the world they know expanded on.

But if you've not seen the original or didn't like it, you won't appreciate the truly "Greats of FF" out there.

I'm just saying.

On a more related and completely objective note, I'll say this Superman (Smallville) story is absolutely hilarious: The Incredibly Dense Mind of Lois Lane.

11. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  12. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've often been introduced to new fandoms via the fanfiction, rather than the other way around. Fanfiction crossovers are especially good at this. Our collective introduction to the Dresden Files is a case in point.

I'm just saying. ;)

I completely agree with you that there are better ways for J22 to find decent fics in the fandoms he likes. I wrote my post as a scattershot blast of high quality fics across a spectrum of fandoms. It may or may not hit upon a fandom that J22 likes, but I'm hoping that a few entries intrigue enough people that it wasn't a waste.

Also, I wanted to make a post that I could refer back to in the future the next time someone asks the question. It fills that role nicely.

13. della_couer

della_couer Second Year

Nonjon makes a good point, really you find the best fics in the stories that already interest you. Crossovers always have unique audiences in that respect. You essentially need a fan of two genres, or someone who is enough a fan of one to not mind reading something that incorporates another. But I have great time reading crosses that don't seem to naturally incorporate the others. (Let's face it, there are certain genres that compliment each other or that are more manageable to mix.)

One I found that very well done was a House and Sherlock Holmes cross. The idea of the two genres crossing made me have to check it out and the storyline was actually well planned and, even better, complete.

A Case of House and Holmes
    By: Michael Weyer
    Found on FF.net Here

If you have any inclination toward the show House I think you'll enjoy watching these two intellectuals solve a crime.

14. Robo Jesus

I can't believe I didn't post this the first time around.><

This story is one of the greats in the Evangelion fandom. Ladies and Gentlemen, I hereby present, Shinji and Warhammer40k.

The name may seem odd, but don't let it fool you. This is an epic story. This takes the Evangelion universe, and shows how it can progress beyond what happened in the original series, progressing beyond almost all of the Evangelion fics seen out there (that only seem to be direct rehashes of the original series). The only other Evangelion fanfiction which even comes close to how entertaining, unique, and utterly epic this story has become is the Evangelion crossover fanfic Children of an Elder God, yet even that does not surpass how truly fucking awesome Shinji and Warhammer40k has turned out to be.:D

15. J22

J22 Seventh Year

@nonjon: I know what you mean but the well seems to be drying up pretty quick on anything good I havn't read and that isn't slash. I've only recently started branching out into other fandoms and have read some good ones straight off the bat, could say I'm eager for something new. Also I tend to read new fandoms in the form of crossovers then get into the cannon afterwards.

As for specifics... X-men, Smallville/Superman, SW and anyone know of any good Dark Tower fics?

As for the recs thankyou all. I'm not a fun of Star Trek or Warhammer but many of the other shall be read.

Edit: Oh and House, need some good House fics.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  16. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

...You have no idea how much I wish there were more X-men stories as good as this.

17. J22

J22 Seventh Year

Sweet, I'll have a look. It was actually world that waits that got me into x-men so thankyou to della-coeur (or however the fuck you spell it).

18. Robo Jesus

I'm sorry, but Warhammer40K makes everything better. That fic is the fundamental proof of that fact!:D

Imagine Calvin and Hobbes. Now replace Calvin with Shinji right after his father abandoned him, and Hobbes with 'Space Marine', 'Chaos Space Marine', 'Eldar Farseer', and 'Ork Warboss'. Now imagine things falling into even greater insanity from there as Shinji grows up.

Read the first chapter at the very least. It really is worth it.

19. J22

J22 Seventh Year

Hmm... I'm still not feeling it. Might help if I knew who any of those people actually were...

20. HomicidalPsychoJungleCat

HomicidalPsychoJungleCat Fifth Year

...you don't know Calvin and Hobbes?:eek: