1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Phantom Limb by rbackwards -- (M)

Discussion in 'Humor' started by e1, Sep 6, 2008.

1. e1

e1 Third Year

Title: Phantom Limb
    Author: rbackwards
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Humor
    DLP Category: Humor, Romance
    Pairing: Harry/Ginny
    Chapters: 23
    Words: 177,110
    Updated: March 14, 2016
    Published: March 14, 2008

Summary:

A young man realizes he's been the victim of a prophecy. He struggles to make sense of his place in an unfamiliar world. Sound familiar? Nothing's familiar to this young man. Nothing except his aunt Arthur. [New readers: give this one some time.]

Link : http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4130255/1/Phantom_Limb

WOW! This story is unique in its own way. I don't think I have seen anyone approach HP in such a manner. Don't let the pairing get to you! :)

Checked by Minion, October 14, 2015
    Checked by Minion, October 10, 2016
    Jaust because of a random update after five (in words: Five) years....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2016
  2. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

aunt Arthur?

3. Kate

Kate Elite Member DLP Supporter

^ Exactly my reaction...

Anyway, I skimmed through the first chapter, and it's in first-person POW, so probably not a story for me.

4. e1

e1 Third Year

I can see why 'Aunt Arthur' would bother you ... I'd rather not talk about the not-so-healthy mental image it gave me the first time.

The intro IS quite bizarre. But then again, what more would you expect from a person who has been repeatedly oblivated by his so-called aunt?

I say give it a shot.

Trust me. You'll like this if you are a sucker for mystery.

5. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I read the first chapters, and it has an intriguing turn of phrase. The confusion, and the characters are wonderful. I'm not about Ginny, but this is delightful.

“You have always belonged here. Our house was bent and broken when you were taken away. Lily and I…have always missed you. There’s always been noise and activity here, you know, the boys in and out and even Ginny’s known to make a bit of racket, and they all have their own sounds…but even now, when it’s quiet around here, do you know what I always think?” He looked down, and his hand squeezed my shoulder, not painfully, but firmly. “I think, ‘that’s the sound of my son.’ I heard your absence and I swear, it has been deafening. I never,” he said, looking me in the eye, “ever got over it, because I knew that only one thing would fix it – having you back here with us. I know you don’t remember much at all, but you should know that while you were with us you were loved by everyone around you, and your mum and me most of all. I have missed you like my right arm, like breathing, and if you want to stay here, I will do everything I can to make this your home, and be your father, your family, that has always belonged to you.”

4/5 (at least)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  6. SunderBolt

SunderBolt Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I've read up to chapter three and so far I have to say I’m quite drawn into it.
    The first person POW is not usually my taste either, and sometimes the dialogue is so scatty I have trouble understanding what exactly the characters are trying to say. But that in itself provides an intriguing pace.

I've started so I'll finish, unless I come across any Ginslash (for she must actually be an ugly man in a dress)

7. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

This story is a strange thing. And until now (chapter 5), absolutely lovely.

5/5

8. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I'm up to Chapter 8, and though nothing really has happened yet, I'm enjoying it. Ginny is extremely likable for her character in this story, so I have no issue with the pairing.

A little slow, but well written (the author is exceptionally good and providing scenarios to give the reader a good feel for the thoughts and feelings her characters have).

I can't think of why this story is listed under parody. The Aunt Arthur thing is explained as well.

4/5

9. e1

e1 Third Year

My apologies ... there you go ... it's fixed :)

10. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

This story is a little fluffy, but I liked it. Not-quite-there!Harry is interesting.

3.5/5

11. shadownin

shadownin Fourth Year

This story is surprisingly good. Although a bit different from the usual HP stories, it's enjoyable.

My only problem with it is that Chapter 9 is a bit confusing, although that's probably partly due to the fact that I read it at 4 in the morning.

4/5

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I couldn't really get into this.

The writing is good, the voice of the narrator is interesting, the dialogue is realistic, and yet it bored me. Reading this fic felt to me like floating through a dream. We don't identify with the main character. We don't even get a feel for the main character. The main character in fact doesn't feel like a main character at all - he's an unresponsive shell which merely wanders around and observes the goings on of others. The main character doesn't feel like part of the story, but rather an observer.

I can see how other people would like this, but to me it's too detached. There seems to be no plot - no hook. It may well be that in later chapters a plot emerges (the only chapter I fully read was the first, and then I started skimming), but really, if a story hasn't got me hooked by the end of the first chapter then I'm not interested.

3/5

13. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

To me, the hook *is* Harry's detachment, and the story's going to turn on how Harry becomes re-attached to society. If it's done poorly, the story will suffer.

14. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Decently written and plotted out. 3.5/5 for now and what Taure said.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  15. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

I have seen this around somewhere but I went over it because of the "Aunt Arthur" imagery. Urg!

However, I tried it when I saw there were some good things to be said in this forum. Unlike many, I like H/Ginny and even in this there are some haters that are content to ignore her as the cannon Ginny for this story.

The words are nice and flowery while bringing emotion and humor into it. It is all kind of word-for-thought as some people would find this hard to read. But I like it. I have a question or two, like why Arthur listened to the men at the bar, but the story has lots of little twists and turns and upsets as well as some fluff.

I recommend it.

16. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

Strange story - but awesome.
    The detached way of writing fits the Harry in this story, especially as it is first person POV. The rest of the writing is excellent, the author surely has some unusual ways to express himself. And the humour is great. I cracked up when Harry asked Dumbledore "Does anyone ever invite you over twice?". There were a few more lines I laughed out loud at.

And at a few points Harry seemed like a well written Luna Lovegood.

Only thing irking me is too much fluff that doesn't fit.

Until now (ch9) it would be a very good 4/5 but it get's an originality bonus from me, so 5/5.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  17. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I can't getpast chapter 5...

The writings good, but It holds no interest for me.

I'll give it a 3/5 and only for quality of the style

18. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

So, I guess posting in a thread that hasn't had any action in some 8 odd years could be considered necroing, but I feel like this story deserves more attention than it's had over the years.

Phantom Limb is not perfect by any means, but 8 years later the plot is still basically unique, meaning that it's worth reading now as much as it was back then. How many other stories can you name that've aged this wel? Of course it's still rather out there, so for many it wasn't worth reading and still isn't, but I enjoyed it and figured it deserved a shout out to bring it to the attention of the many many ppl who have embraced HP fanfiction since this thread ran out.

4/5

19. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Just thought I'd pop in to say that this story doesn't seem to be abandoned as it's been updated as of March 14, 2016.

Chapter 26 23 if your interested.

Edit by Minion: Learn to count, man :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2016
  20. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Phantom Limb has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 25
    Words: 208,235
    Updated: 2023-11-16 06:37:07 UTC
    Published: 2008-03-14 10:21:44 UTC
    Previously updated: over 7 years ago
    New Summary:
    A young man realizes he's been the victim of a prophecy. He struggles to make sense of his place in an unfamiliar world. Sound familiar? Nothing's familiar to this young man. Nothing except his aunt Arthur. New readers: give this one some time.

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.