1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Scourge Upon PC.

Discussion in 'PatronusCharm' started by Glernaj, Oct 7, 2008.

?

Should witowsmp be banned?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    43.0%
  1. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    /me goes to see if the sky is falling.

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I actually had it that way on dev for a while. People bitched.

3. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

If you only had updates by author, I would've bitched too. :p

You might keep them both. Updates by author and updates by fics, I mean. If fags rage too much over flooded recent updates, they can choose to see it by author. Maybe even an option in member profiles to select which way they want to see recent updates. That way it'll be available to members who bitch about it when next something like this happens.

4. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Having the option for one or the other is a good idea, since I would preferably go for 'Author Update' rather than 'Story Update'.

5. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

Quality idea. Also MORS D:
    Haven't seen you on IRC in a while.

6. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I thought about suggesting the same thing as Knox a while ago, but then I thought about it.

I really have no idea who most of the authors of my favorite stories are. So I could look at the update list, and have no idea what was updated.

I second Mors's idea, if we have to do something like that.

7. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I second getting Raven a codemonkey...oh wait, let me first it.

Joking aside, I like the option of having story or author update, but I realize how much work it's taken to get PC up. So Rav if you have the time, cool. Otherwise let the bitching continue.

8. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I don't see nonjon banned yet. What gives?

9. mathiasgranger

mathiasgranger Slug Club Member

I admit I like a lot of the stuff on PC, but in all honesty nothing on the site is professional quality.

So, what exactly is up for vote as being banned, the content of the stories or the quality of them?

Does there have to be a specific amount of violence and sex in a story to meet the standards on the site?

If you make the precedent of banning authors simply because you don't like the content, or the way they update, then you really need to go all of the way and just have authors submit work, which must be proofread by staff before allowing it to be posted.

Otherwise, all the site will be is an exercise in complaints and criticism. Of course, that seems to be the unifying thread on this site also, and I mean that more in mirth than malice.

10. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    .... It was a few things that caused for the motion for him to be banned, He/She/It sucks and is a cliche author, He/She/It Flooded the updates every week, Mindless seems to have Witsomp!Rage. And why would staff proof-read stuff? Make the minions do it. :)

11. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

mathiasgranger: You're just bitchin' because your fics are shit.

The author wasn't banned, he took the initiative to have a temper tantrum and leave, taking all his lame ass stories with him.

PC is meant to be the last stronghold of quality fanfiction. Which means that people like 'mohd7590' should be getting their stories stripped down soon.

12. mathiasgranger

Haha this is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Lincos thank you for so brilliantly proving my point, and showing the true maturity of an eight year old.

I make a valid point and suggestion, you say my fics are 'shit'. Has puberty kicked in yet? Because if it has you might want to up your game a bit.

Moving on from that squabble, I do not believe my fics were the point of debate. But rather the point was the best way to ensure PC doesn't get inundated with fics you don't want on it. Please correct me if this is wrong...

Sure you can just delete stuff after it is posted, but if you want to solve the problem maybe a different approach is needed. Why don't you have some of the people on DLP and PC that so love to criticize others' works, (and who typically aren't actually willing to write themselves) proofread fics and give their stamp of approval.

That way quality concerns are made moot, and it gives you all one less thing to complain about. Although I am well aware that there are many people in this world who are never satisfied until everyone around them is as miserable as they are. This is something many on this site hide behind, using the veneer of being critics to cover up their own issues and problems.

13. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

That's precisely what DLP is for.

Just what we needed. A wannabe psychiatrist. You could at least have mentioned the rampant Oedipus complex.

Although I agree with you for one point -- the quality of your fics was never the problem. In fact, the quality of anyone's fics wasn't the problem here at all; correct me if I'm wrong, we were discussing the flooding of the Recently Updated list by a single author. The quality of his writing or the theme of his fics was only brought up later as a secondary, irrelevant point that was no longer discussed by the time you posted.

As such, your first post was completely off-topic, and consequently so were Lincos'...

EDIT: Have to agree with Sree here -- I understand some people might've been annoyed by the 'flood' but I think he's perfectly entitled to update his fics anytime he wants. You could've asked him to only update 2 or 3 fics at once, problem solved and everyone's happy.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  14. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

But of course, we all know that being a writer is in no way, shape or form a prerogative for being allowed to criticise other's works, right? Just making sure ...

Anyway, the point was not about quality. It was about the fact that witowsmp was continually flooding the sites with updates of like ten old stories he'd already finished, which was annoying as it left no place for anything else. Shezza put up his old stuff, too, for example, but he did it all at once, so I don't see why witowsmp couldn't.

Edit:
    Fast Tinn is Faster than me ;)

15. mathiasgranger

No the quality of the fics was an issue, if even it wasn't the biggest issue up for debate. I did read the entire thread, and I have read several similar threads on this site in the past.

Yes DLP has some portions dedicated to reviewing new and promising fics, of course there are an equal number of threads that pretty much are used solely for the bashing of fics. As Lincos so elquently stated, my fics are 'shit' and while not killed as bad as many fics on this site, certainly weren't given a glowing recommendation.

So, no it wasn't off topic, and no I wasn't attempting to be a psychiatrist.

Also, it seems to me that with the whole mass of updates issue, that there are links on PC that allow you to bypass the main page and look for fics using the search button...

Surely clicking two links instead of one isn't that great of an imposition.

16. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Now that is a relevant contribution.

Yes, yes it was. The quality of his fics was said to be an issue in 3-4 posts at the beginning of the thread, and I'm convinced many more posters thought the fics were shitty as well, but guess what -- they didn't continue the discussion because it wasn't the issue.

As you said yourself, there are other 'Quality Check' threads on the boards. Now, guess why Glernaj didn't post in those threads? Because it wasn't the issue.

And guess what you should've done if you wanted to suggest a quality check? Post in a thread that has quality check as its main issue.

Moving on.

17. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

PC was never supposed to be an extension of the DLP Library. If I understand the original intentions correctly, it was supposed to be a place where EVERYONE could post their crap, but users would be able to filter out stuff they didn't want to read, such as Slash or smut.

Banning users and deleting stories that haven't broken any rules will only come out as pretentious and obnoxious,
    in the eyes of the general public.

This will, in turn, mean that writers will refrain from posting here, due to possibly exaggerated rumours. No new authors, no new readers, and Patronus Charm will be but a mere shadow of what it could be.

This is just my take, I may have misjudged some things though. But we definitely need a better policy for similar situations that might arise in the future.

BTW: The FAQ and Rules section of the site are in serious need of upgrading.

18. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I'll make a tabbed window there then. Story in one, author in the other. A preference in the CP will set it to one or the other by default. It really isn't that hard, I've been doing an overhaul of the code behind it anyways.

PatronusCharm is not an extension of DLP's Library. It is a forum, used in the other sense, for people to post their work for others to read as long as it meets quality criteria. Obviously, I will need to define these criteria sooner than later. I will be posting a news item and including links to said criteria on PatronusCharm in the upcoming days.

I've been incredibly busy with classes, so I've been unable to keep up with all of current events. I'd appreciate it if you all tamed yourselves a bit, I'm not really around to mediate or administrate PatronusCharm a lot. Most nights I get home 10pm-midnight and just go to bed before 8am courses. I cannot hand off administration of PatronusCharm to others due to the lack of formal administration tools.

19. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Spamming old stories one day each week is fucked up, frankly. It's annoying, and I'd be greatly ticked off if I was waiting for an update from Shezza and Joe updated over nine thousand stories in one day even if they were all awesome. It's just fucking rude.

The author should have updated two daily, to escape from the flooding problem... Then again, he probably didn't exactly KNOW that anyone was angry, so it would have helped to tell him rather than asking for a banning and sending him the ever-amusing IRC logs that probably said some lulzy but unkind things.

The antibandwagon bandwagon (as Darius?? calls it) was beautiful to watch, BTW.

EDIT: You know, now that I noticed that Lord Ravenclaw had posted before me, my post seems rather useless. There is this sort of THREAD ENDER!!! quality to his posts that says to me 'Hey, Plebians, I've made my decision already; do shut up now.' It's rather epic.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  20. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Your power of observation blows hard. Raven posted three days before you and you didn't notice, nice.