1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fan Fiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ragon, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Seriously? How is there little if any fics in Codex Alera? I dont understand IT!!

Shezza, if you read this. Your next task is to make us a Codex Alera trilogy. You are in the process of doing a dresden Files Trilogy. Next we need an Alera Trilogy

2. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Personally I have always seen the Codex Alera having greater FF potential than Dresden. Dresden has a good universe but Alera is a true fantasy rather than detective series.

3. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Personally I see that most plots in Codex would involve a heavy amount of politics and that makes it very unsuitable for many of the potential writers.

4. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Exactly. I thought about it, but the sheer amount of political maneuvering and backstabbing was rather daunting. I scrapped it.

5. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Alera bores me

6. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

BLASPHEMY!!!!:eek:

How about if we all say please? With a cherry on top?

Get to it tiger!:whipped:

7. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I dunno.. the events in Codex Alera have pretty much built up to a point, and at such a pace that the only thing that can happen now is battle with the Vorde. Be hard to know when and where to start off a story (not that I'd mind someone starting a fic.. )

Dresden on the other hand, you can pick up at any point in the series and write some clever little vignette that slots in handily anywhere in the Dresden time line. Kind of like how Butcher's short stories fit in between the events of the books.

Hmm.. actually I'm sure someone out there would be able to write good Alera fiction.. just my opinion is all.

8. Samuel Black

Spoilers for people who haven't read the books.

The basic premise I had was that Isana died in childbirth. Araris, not knowing what else to do, took Tavi and hid him away. Basically, the whole premise was that Tavi was never recognized as Gaius's heir until much, much later. I was going to kill Sextus off somehow, maybe natural, maybe not, but there was going to be a mass scramble for the throne. Civil war erupts between Aquitaine, Kalarus, Rhodes and various other High Lords. Tavi and Araris, in some way I hadn't figured out yet, were going to get dragged into the war.

That was about as far as I got.

And then I realized it sucked, and there was no way I could pull it off.

9. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

For one, Codex Alera isn't that popular.

For two, for those that have read it, it seems to be a love it or hate it deal.

For three, the starting political situation in Alera is a fucking tinderbox.

For four, the series isn't complete yet, and there's a shitload of information on origins of various races that people are waiting on before they start the fanfic.

For five, do YOU want a page on FFN full of Bernard/Fade? Count your blessings.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Writing a long Alera fanfic might prove troublesome, given the politics and everything, but I should imagine missing scenes and one-shots would be comparatively easy to write.

Samual Black: The problem with your idea is that it would completely change Tavi's character, as he would have grown up with Furies, and powerful ones at that. He would be just another powerful Furycrafter, rather than the innovative and intelligent guy we know and love.

11. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Actually, thinking about it, the politics of Alera are not exactly that complex. Especially in the 5th book. For political complexities as a deterrence to fanfiction, you should look at Song of Ice and Fire :p

12. Skeletaure

High Score:
    The politics aren't that complex, but the characters involved are, thus making them unpredictable.

13. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

The 5th book is a war book. The 2nd and 4th are the most political to me.

14. Samuel Black

Exactly, which would be why I ultimately scrapped the idea. The main problem with writing Alera fanfiction is basically that. If you take it so Isana dies or something when Tavi is young, he has his furies and is basically an OC. If you keep Tavi with her instead, it's basically the same story that we already have, and I couldn't really find a spot to split off afterwards.

15. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Tell me about it, I am still not sure who is the main protagonist in the story.

16. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

As much as I utterly despise Isana, you have to admit that her deliberately crippling Tavi helped make him the guy he is.

17. Samuel Black

I was thinking about this the other day, and Tavi's reaction to the whole thing.

I know he was pissed, but, was I the only one who thought he didn't get angry enough? He had just found out his mom, who he thought was his aunt, had deliberately stunted his growth. I'd be fucking furious for a long ass time.

But, nah, he's pissed for like half a book, and then starts calling her mom.

Seemed a little off to me.

18. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Hes a smart guy. I say he realizes that if she hadnt done what she did odds are he would have been found out much much earlier. Before he meet Maximus and Crassus and gained powerful allies in the First Aleran. His defenses now are greater than his father's war at any time Septimus wasnt around Sextus. Septimus had Miles, Aldrick, Araris and a couple others? What we have seen so far has been expert swordsman.

Octavian has Maximus and Crassus; who are the sons of one of the more powerful high lords; Araris; who is pretty much the deadliest swordsman in Alera; allies in Varg and Nasaug; and the First Aleran who have been shown to be willing to do anything for their Captain. Not to mention that Octavian is no slouch with a sword either and is damn smart.

19. Samuel Black

Well, yeah, if that was a rational moment. For most people finding that out, rationalizing the choice and how they were probably better off wouldn't have been their first move. I was expecting a lot more... reaction and raw emotion, even if it was only just anger, I guess.

But, who knows. It may have gone down differently if Isana had told him instead of Fade, and if they weren't getting ready to march.

20. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Tavi somehow removing Isana's Watercrafting would have been a very satisfying result, given that her Watercrafting is the sum total of Isana's character. And the best thing about it would be that she wouldn't be able to complain without admitting that what she did was wrong.

/me hates Isana.