1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned All Roads Lead Back by pandiesboxx - NC-17

Discussion in 'Restricted Section' started by Mage Ronin, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Mage Ronin

Mage Ronin Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Title: All Roads Lead Back
    Author: pandiesboxx
    Rating: NC-17
    Genre: Romance/Drama
    DLP Category: Romance
    Chapters: 27
    Words: 532,358
    Updated: December 31, 2008
    Published: December 1, 2005

Pairing: Harry/Hermione (so slow!), Draco/Luna
    Summary: Harry Potter always figured that once he'd fulfilled his destiny he could finally have a happy, normal life. Unfortunately for him he fell in love with his best friend...and everything went straight to hell. Set 7 years after the final battle. A very gradual, slow moving H/Hr love story told thru multiple canon character perspective.

It's a good story. I find it very well written with a creative and intriguing plot. Only warning is that Harry is initially married to the Whore, but the physical drawbacks of the marriage is pure win.

Checked: Nov. 12, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For something that big, can you at least give us a bit more of a reason to read it? ><

Is voldemort alive? If not, is the new antagonist decent? Or is this just a pure fluff story?

I'm also very dubious about it being told 'thru' multiple canon character perspectives. Does that mean its not Harry centric?

3. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Here's what it is:

It is a story of two parts: one part is set in the present, in which a lot of people are married, Hermione is gone, and Harry is sexually pinning after her. The other part contains flashbacks from the war, but insofar that I can remember, the flashbacks are all about character interactions, and not how they offed Voldemort. It includes a number of cliches such a Reformed!Draco, Hermione-Draco friendship. Includes a number of well done original plot contrivances too, such as
    Draco/Luna
    . Hermione is, as a matter of course, highly aggrandized, but this fic also contains very 3-D interpretations of most of its characters. You might not like the interpretation, but they are well done. Even Ginny.

Its good drama. 4/5.

And it got updated. Awesome.

Edit: It does include multiple perspectives. No, the plot is still Harry/Hermione centric.

4. Mage Ronin

Sorry, Ellisande, but writing a summary for a story of this magnitude is kind of daunting...and my laziness doesn't help either. And I don't really remember the beginning too well, seeing as I read the first chapter 2 years ago.

One thing I like about this story is the characterization each and every character receive in this story. And, although the story primarily focuses around Harry and Hermione, there are entire chapters written in other character's perspectives. This in my opinion, adds flavor to the story by giving it a more realistic feel; different characters have different views of the same events.

There are many enjoyable things in this: the background plot, the main plot, secondary character subplots, the characters themselves... The list goes on. You'll just have to read the story to find them. 5/5

Another reason I like this fic: Ginny marries Harry through an 'old rites' ritual which binds them together. But one of the drawbacks is that if one is cheating, the other will get physically ill (headaches, throwing up, etc.). Harry constantly lusting and falling in love with Hermione counts as cheating = Ginny hurting = PURE WIN

5. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I'm surprised this is up for review. Given that it has several aspects that DLP generally hates, such as Draco Malfoy being portrayed in a good light, and Hermione herself, plus the fact that the fic shifts from one character's perspective to another (though there is no doubt that Harry and Hermione are the main characters), I'm not too sure it would be too welcome in the Library.

That being said, it's one of the best H/Hr fics, and quite possibly the best multi-chaptered one I've read, in terms of characterization and sheer enjoyment. If you are looking for an action-packed fic, give this a skip. There is hardly any in here, and the story is extremely slow-moving. If you are looking for a slow romance story and well-written characters - even the chapters written from Malfoy's perspective is...tolerable - and don't mind the H/Hr ship, you might want to check this out.

Another drawback would be the author's update rate. A new chapter appears about every two or three months, though the sheer length of each chapter makes up for it.

I'm probably biased, but personally, I'd give this a 5/5.

6. Naneu

Naneu Squib

It's divergent from canon post-HBP, since it was started back in '05. Not a bad thing as such, but something to keep in mind.

The story itself reads like pure UST to me, and that is the type of romance I have the least patience for. The remaining plot kind of struck me as a Sex and the City kind of depiction of the lives of mid-twenties people. If you like that, then you'll probably love this story.

As far as an antagonist goes... well:

There was some blood supremacist mentioned, who goes by the name of Cadmus, and is of the opinion that nobody magical should marry anyone non-magical. That didn't come across as a real plot though, and more as just some case at work, for Harry.

I stopped reading by Chapter 4. There was just nothing happening that was interesting to me. Since it is well-written, and even the other POVs are recognizable as the characters they are based on, I'd rate it as a 3/5, but that's more due to having problems with the main premise of the story.

I'm not going to actually rate the thread though, since it is tagged as a romance story, and for people who like the above mentioned premise, it'll be of higher quality.

Edit 1: Protagonist =/= Antagonist, one of these days I'll keep them straight consistently...

Edit 2:
    I didn't read
    as such. The whole interaction was part of what made me label the thing UST. Taking that scene seriously, as in, there is actually something to it beyond the predictable cliche, would kill the characterization for me.

On skipping through some of the later chapters, it is around more, but I'm not sure I'd label it as outright drama. YMMV, obviously.

I just don't like romance for the sake of romance, and refrained from giving the thread itself a rating for that reason. It just seems to be a mixture between Desperate Housewives and Sex and the City, with a helping of Law&Order. That isn't necessarily bad, since millions of people love those shows, but it should serve as a good yardstick for people wanting to know if they'll like the story.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  7. Mage Ronin

It becomes a real plot though when Harry thinks that Hermione is somehow involved with Cadmus...

But you are right, the romance is kinda of frustrating and long. But that's just make is more realistic in book and the other things that happen in the story makes you forget about it. It's not the "OMG!!!!11! Harry and Hermy fall in love and all is ok!!1". It's characters with real life problems.

Overall, the story gives the characters a real life personality with real life issues with a HP twist: It's a HP Soap Opera. lol

Lol, I'm not too sure about Draco being portrayed in a good light since every character regards him as the "Prince of Darkness". Sure, Draco walks the redemption path, but it's not a quick and easy road like most fic make it seem. I think those kind of fics are what DLP generally dislikes. Hermione, herself, is not a Herman, either.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  8. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

The beauty of this story lies in the details of it... The author takes his time, and uses it to give life nearly every aspect of the wizarding world... I'm not too far into the story, but so far it's looking pretty good; it easily merits a strong 4/5.

9. Josh Trapt

Josh Trapt First Year DLP Supporter

Normally, I don't read drama/romance stories. But I must admit, this story has me enthralled. While not my normal cup of tea, it's quite exceptional. I feel a need to know what happens in the next chapter, and the next, and the next.

Admittedly, the plot is a bit slow for the liking (I've only just started Ch.12). However, wanting to know what happens to each character, both past and future happenings, keeps me reading.

As I said, I don't care much for a romance/drama story. However, for keeping me into this story and the wonderful writing, I give this story a 4/5. The -1 comes for a wait in plot.

10. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

I'm with most peoples opinions, its not something I'd usually read but I didnt stop until I'd reached the newest chapter.

I really liked Ron (WHAT!!!!!) who was potrayed excellently in this, Luna and Glinda, who is Freds muggle wife. They seem to be likeable but still very deep and well thought out characters. Nevilles pretty cool too

Now the bad points, while Harry is fine for the most part, he is slightly stalkerish and incredibly clingy to Herms, who in turn is going through mood swings left right and center. Now while the mood swings are explained, doesnt make it any less annoying for her to be laughing, screaming in rage and then sobbing in the space of three sentences. To close to real women for comfort.

But despite that and the slow pace, this fic does get you involved and caring how it ends.

4/5

11. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

I'm at chapter 22 and so far very happy with it. Even though it is incredibly slow going and detailed. On the other hand I don't think I've ever read a story in which I hated Ginny more. Can't the author just shoot her in the head?!...Or after having finished Chapter 22 can't he just have her raped by a band of drunken houseelves?!!!

4.5/5

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  12. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I truly liked this fic, despite it being far from something I'd normally advocate. Slow? Well, yes, but that is a Good Thing, in stories of this sort, in my opinion.

Character development is there, clever usage of PoV and flashbacks, and while there are a few typos/grammatical errors, they are very minimal, and do nothing to detract from a superbly written fic.

Ginny...is well written, and fleshed out, and is very, very easy to hate. As opposed to simply hating her because she's never well written or fleshed out, even in JKR's original work.

13. Sporangia

Sporangia First Year

I'm liking it so far. It really is like a drama in the Potterverse, which I haven't seen very often. Character development is great.

14. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Oh hey let's check out what's going on on the forums, oh hey something new in For Review... what's this?

Ha ha, my eyes must be playing tricks on me, surely no-one would write...

[​IMG]
    SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER

15. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

[​IMG]

D8

I agree with Tehan..

But really, the story... isn't badly written, I guess... It just doesnt grab my interest. Its ... average.

16. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Vash... just... why?

Why?

Oh, and anyone who's tempted to post more spam-pics can start eating their own spleen now, thankyouverymuch.

17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

...it's not that serious. And spleens taste gross, yo.

Anyways, I've plowed halfway through this story, and I have mixed feelings.

On one hand the writing's great. I could see the pacing and flashbacks annoying a lot of other people, but I think it works for this fic. What annoys me is how everyone is in some way soooooo deeply affected by Hermione - whether through admiration (Neville) or attraction (every other damn male). But since her role in the story has mostly been through flashbacks, it's like Hermione is a diet version of a Mary-Sue.

3/5.

18. Sporangia

Sporangia First Year

The story is pretty much Hermione-centric. I'd say it's because the author is a Hermione fan, if you look at her favorites and whatnot. I finished reading up to chapter 27 today and I want Ginny to finally get what she deserves so badly! The author says the blowout will happen in the upcoming chapter. I've never had so much fun reading drama.

19. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I only got to chapter five or so before the Hermione-love got too much for me. Maybe I'll try again some other time. 4/5 for good writing, though.

20. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Well written and plotted out. My only real problem with the story was the general clueless-ness of both Harry and Hermione. After a bit, the continuous misinterpretation and woe-is-me attitude started to grate on my nerves. 4/5