1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Cyclops, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Frank Darabont circles zombies
    AMC attacks comic series adaptation
    By CYNTHIA LITTLETON

AMC is venturing into zombie-drama territory with multi-hyphenate Frank Darabont.

Cabler is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to exec produce.

Project is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. Numerous editions of the "Walking Dead" graphic novels have been published since 2003.

Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and original content, said the project appealed to the cabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work. The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, he said.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Stillerman noted that the cabler's annual "Fear Fest" movie showcase around Halloween is one of AMC's most popular programming events of the year.

"We've got an audience that loves this kind of material," he said.

Darabont and Hurd pitched the project to AMC and several other outlets. There is no studio attached yet. The duo's involvement made the project a must-have for the cabler, Stillerman said.

"These are two world-class filmmakers who are also brilliant storytellers with experience in the fantasy genre," he said.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007161.html?categoryid=10&cs=1&nid=2248

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Awesome, hope they do a good job with it. One of my favorite comic series.

3. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

There is so much that can be done since it will be a television show and not a movie like I always thought it would be. A series will have much more time for character development, etc.

Is this going to be the first ever zombie television series?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  4. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    They better take it all the way with the violence and the gore and the social commentary. They better not water it down for TV. I hate that.

5. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

There was actually a british zombie television series, called Dead Set, which was based around the idea that Britain turns into Zombie land, and the last people left are the retards in the Big Brother house. Was not bad actually.

6. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

AMC greenlights 'Walking Dead,' 'Killing'
    Cable network gives go-ahead to pilot duo
    By CYNTHIA LITTLETON

AMC has given greenlights to two drama pilots, "The Walking Dead" and "The Killing."

"The Walking Dead" is based on the graphic novel series about survivors of a zombie apocalypse by Robert Kirkman. Frank Darabont penned the adaptation and is on board to direct. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion will exec produce with Darabont.

"Walking Dead" revolves around a group of survivors, led by a police officer, who travel the country in search of a safe home.

Working with people like Frank Darabont and Gale Anne Hurd is the right way in for us to deliver a project of distinction in this genre," AMC prexy Charlie Collier said.

"The Killing," from Fox Television Studios, is based on the popular Danish TV series, "Forbrydelsen." Veena Sud ("Cold Case") wrote the pilot and will exec produce with "Burn Notice's" Mikkel Bondesen is also exec producing.

"Killing" is described as a crime drama that turns on the murder of a young girl and the investigation that ensues. Story is told from the perspective of a femme investigator "who cares more for the dead than for the living," said Joel Stillerman, AMC senior veep of programming, production and original content. It's focused on the character but has touches of a psycho-horror pics a la "Silence of the Lambs," he said.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118014051.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2562&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+variety%2Fheadlines+%28Variety+-+Latest+News%29&utm_content=Twitter

7. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

I think the gore will pretty much have to be toned down. If they show everything that's shown in the graphic novels, it would have to be NC-17.

Also, I'm not sure how TV audiences will react to a series where every character is expendable, including children. I mean, you read an issue of Walking Dead and you know that any given character has maybe a 50/50 chance of surviving to the next issue.

8. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

If the audiences don't like the losing characters, just explain that its like Survivor - their favourite may be "voted off" in the episode, and never seen again... That, or they'll get over it.

Never read the comic myself, but I'm a huge zombie and AMC fan, so I might check this one out.

9. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

10. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Huge ass bump. Pilot officially airs in 10 days.

Has anyone kept up to date with the comics?

11. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Although the series doesn't premiere until Halloween, the pilot has already leaked. So far nothing but good things have been said.

12. h2o

h2o Professor

Watched the Pre-air last night... not gonna spoil anyone but I liked what I saw. A lot. It was scary, it was funny and just.. awesome.

I love post-apocalyptic & zombie movies... but this will probably be the first tv show in that genre that doesn't turn to shit after 5 episodes. Like say... Jericho. Sadly, this only has 6 episodes for the first season and I'm already hungering for moar. This show is gonna win awards.

Now, onto the first episode...
    What an ending. I really thought he was gonna snuff it!
    "Hey you, dumbass. Yeah you in the tank. Cozy in there?"
    So awesome.

13. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Watched the premiere. Maybe I'm just a sucker for zombie films, maybe it's the fact that this is a zombie apocalypse serialised character drama on TV (Never thought I'd see one of those) or maybe it was because the pilot was just awesome, but I am so fucking in.

14. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Loved it, hated that it ended. I hope it delivers on my hopes and dreams and keeps the gore high.

And I did not know that Rick Grimes is played by a British actor. He has the Georgia accent down right.

Huh.

15. Fimbulvintr

Fimbulvintr Seventh Year

That poor, poor horse. 'There might be other horses too' my ass. Just goes to show you, don't ever trust a human...

16. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Horsey ;_;

/filler

17. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

An here I was thinking that the horse had more upside, as far as transportation goes, than the car.
    QQ

18. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was kind of hoping the horse would be undead, kind of like in the new Red Dead expansion pack, which would mean the deputy could gallop it forever without feeding it. But I guess it is the walking dead, not the riding dead.

Perhaps a zombie dog, then.

'rimshot'

19. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just watched it. Awesome show. Also,
    who wants to bet that the main character's partner has been boning his wife since before the zombies came along?

Also, in tribute to Horsey;

My lovely horse, running through the field
    Where are you going, with your fetlocks blowing in the wind?

I want to shower you with sugar lumps, and ride you over fences
    Polish your hooves every single day, and bring you to the horse dentist

My lovely horse, you’re a pony no more
    Running around with a man on your back, like a train in the night... like a train in the niiiiiiiight.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Saw the premiere, liked it.