1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Intoxication by nos tres reges - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Dark-Stallion, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I thought this was supposed to be slightly creepy and not represent a normal and healthy environment. Harry was in that regard the innocent one.
    The Slytherins are in an extremely fucked up culture with often times extreme power disparities, even among the children, which causes these situations.

I thought the situation with Daphne was handled especially well, because children who grow up in such an abusive environment don't act like adult rape victims and withdraw from sexual contact altogether. (I'm overly generalizing here, both characterizations don't apply to everyone in that category obviously.)
    I actually thought the sudden move from Daphne unto Harry was a mood switch which can happen often in such individuals.

Of course I don't have a problem with young teenagers having sex (at least as long as no power disparity exists between the partners), but the portrayal in the story was obviously negative. This wasn't supposed to be normal.

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

The only thing that bothered me was Daphne and Nott having sex at twelve (second years).

I mean, come on. I know one of you will try to one up me and claim that you know someone who had sex at twelve, but still...

My brother is twelve right now and can't even muster up anything interesting to talk about to a girl, let alone persuade her to fuck.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, Taure, the reason people got married so young, is that people kinda died by the time they were 25-30 half the time.

All depends on nurture, the environment that they have grown up in, as well as their nature, ie what age they hit puberty. Some early bloomers get really keen around then, some don't.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Fuck me Harry, fuck me Harry, fuck me dadd- er Harry."

5. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Well, there's my token extremely depressing story for the next several months. As others have said, it was well-written and creepy and thought-provoking, and I suppose it was even somewhat enjoyable in a sad way. The one thing I didn't like was how quickly everything shifted near the end; it was wrapped up very well, but the ending sequence of events was rushed. 5/5.

And now I'm depressed, with a shitload of homework to do before the sun rises. Ugh.

6. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

I remember our 8th grade class trip involving massive numbers of girls getting fingered. Kind of gross to think about now, but plausible.

7. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was very impressed by this one. Not perfect, with a few weak points, but highly above average. A nice bizarre HarryPotter that subverts some annoying cliches.

4.5/5
    -J

8. Maki

Maki Sent Back to India

Loved it, although the whole Chamber scene seemed a bit abrupt and jarred - the whole "drunken calming pot" plot device was really weak imo. I liked the smut. And the banter between the two. Epic.

9. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Awesome.

I'm also having some trouble wrapping my mind around this one, however. To go back to what some people were saying, that it's not really enjoyable, I partly agree. I wouldn't expect people here to be too bothered about Harry's insanity, but he is hard to identify with.

The story is unpredictable - which generally is good, but here may be overdone. For example, after the great sex scene, when it seems to be steadily forming into a very good, slightly fluffy guilty pleasure fic (à la Perfect Situations), the plot U turns, and takes the story's whole atmosphere along for the ride. Or the fact that every time you think you could identify with Harry, he does something crazy. In other words, I think it's not the plot being unpredictable, but the story itself not being what you expected (wanted, maybe) that is bothering people.

So it's definitely unsettling, but I found it terribly enjoyable too. It's been a while since I read 30 thousand words straight, and this attentively. The writing is obviously excellent, but I found the characterisation great too - Harry's insanity is wonderfully subtle, and Daphne is as good and as complex a female ff character as I can think of.

Added to that, the author perfectly navigates the genre and its clichés, the magic is very well done and relevant, and the sex as well as the fight scenes are almost perfect.

In the end, it's difficult to find real faults, apart from the fact that it doesn't leave you in quite the state of mind you wanted.

5/5

10. Lord Eressar

Lord Eressar First Year

This part had me cracking up. Has anybody seen the movie in Dizstance's sig? Talk about forced sex angst.

11. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Amusing, slightly insane, and oddly interesting. 4/5 from me.

12. Inert

Inert Headmaster

An amusing twist on the post "Final Battle" plotline.

The writing was good and the characterization of Daphne was refreshing, as opposed to the simple "Ice Queen" persona that everyone and his 13 year old fangirl sister gives her.

The ending really brought things together for me, and the little piece about the calming draught was both original and intriguing.
    4.5/5 from me, only because I didn't like the kiddie sex (twelve year olds? really?)

13. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I give it a 4/5, Certainly well written and entertaining. I didn't like all the sex in it though and usually I don't give a damn but everyone in Hogwarts was fucking like bunnies in this story and it just didn't suit well with me for some reason.

14. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I liked this one myself. Definitely a masterpiece, or very close to it. A 5/5 from me.

15. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I could not understand why Harry would attack Daphne with a lethal curse, hell, I couldn't understand why he would even draw his wand. It felt really out of character from the rest of the story. Everything Harry had done so far was noble and graceful. He could have dealt with her without his wand, disarmed her or taken her torture.

But I guess he was supposed to be crazy... the last scene feels like a cop out though. He was obviously a teen off his rocker, but I didn't buy into the idea that he was malicious or even Voldemortesque. Felt forced.

Prior to the fight, the story was also very formulaic, if written well.

Despite these misgivings, I found the story to be excellent. The end had a nice twist, and disliking it because it did not have them marrying, well, there's enough of that stuff on ffnet.

The whole bit about the calming drought causing arousal should have been explained at the beginning of the story, somewhere. Felt cheap being tacked on at the end.

5/5

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  16. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

-Snorts-

Not bad. Not the be all end all that some of you are making it out to be, but not bad. four-ish, maybe four and a half at parts, but certainly not a perfect 5

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...what? He was a crazy creepy stalker. One who tortured several teenage boys.

18. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Harry hadn't wanted to torture them. And they forgot about the torture anyway, no permanent damage either. For the children of his enemies, children who wanted to bully him out of seeing Daphne – he handlded them quite gently for someone who probably fits under the psychological category "War Veteran".

Harry was used to following people around, I no doubt that it is odd behavior to follow people invisibly, but Daphne interested him so he learned the things she liked. He never mentioned watching her sleep, or showering or something... I'm reluctant to call it true stalking.

Harry gave her the flowers she liked, was cordial, mostly polite, logical... everything he did was just an attempt to impress her. Yes he was a little messed up, but – I just didn't get the stalker vibe from him. He wasn't even that creepy. The ending of course changes everything, but I did mention it was kind of unexpected, there really wasn't much to conclude that he was that crazy until that point.

19. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Ummm....They disappeared-ed. He didn't just torture and obliviate them like he said he would. They disappeared *prior* to Daphne.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just wanna point out that you have a very very fucking scary view of morality. I hope to hell you are never in a position of power to dictate morality to other people.