1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fem!Harry?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by DrSarcasm, Oct 15, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Hey DLP. I've been reading series after series and am ready for something different. After reading 'HP and the Mysterious Curse of the Girl Who Lived' and 'Equal and Opposite', I've become curious about GWL fics.

Problem is, that only a handful have the tag on this site, and of those, I have either read them or, in the case of Holly Evans, are terrible.

Any recommendations?

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Since you mention Holly Evans, you possibly searched only for Fem!Harry alone. Try this, if you haven't yet. That's the most conclusive list I know of -- and don't expect quality any near Amerision's work for the other stories. Equal and Opposite is by far the best story of them all.

And it's a fact that there are very few fem!Harry stories around.

3. Antonimus

Antonimus First Year

Which is a damn shame, IMO.

4. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Yes, far too few. Catharsis was meant to be one, but I ended up taking it in a different direction.

gah! now I want to read more!

5. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Harriet by mellowenglishgal

This one is alright... not really library worthy. There are a few things that make me wince, but it's kind of refreshing. But. It's pretty much just a OC with the same origin as Harry Potter. But I guess that's what most Fem!Harrys are.

Try reading a few chapters before giving it up. It might suprise you. It's updated recently too. It has sixty+ chapters.

And also it combines books four, five, six and probably seven and it's done in a way that actually makes sense.

A warning though, in one of the first chapters it mentions Twilight. It's easy to ignore though and does not influence the plot at all. Just thought I would warn you, since I nearly exited the story after I read it. But I'm glad I didn't, since it's a very entertaining story.

Edit: Another wince worthy thing is all the modernisms, and all the mentions of recent bands. It's annoying but still I can overlook it. Story seems to be set in our time, rather than the ninties.

The author has quite a few Fem!Harry stories. Might do you well to check them out.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  6. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Yeah, I'm feelin' the love.

Anyway, there's a few C2's specializing in Girl!Harry
    Miss Potter

The Girl Who Lived Archive

(some really long title)

My initial inspiration was Harry Potter and the Girl Who Lived by Agnostics Puppet, who adapted a piece by Silver Aegis.

What you'll find is a lot of Harry-Draco in dresses. Lately there's been an upsurge of Harriet/Cedric, as might be expected. I can't think of a more non-DLP theme that still involves hetero-sex. I think half the attraction of Jeram's effort is that he's writing it for this audience, making every decision a tightrope walk of potential fail.

I'm not sure how DLP would find a Girl!Harry acceptable without a Boy!Harry to provide contrasting machismo or some such. It's a formula that does not solve with these parameters.

(BTW- I don't see Equal and Opposite as Girl!Harry- that was a mirror demon trying to destroy the real Harry.)

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yeah, no wonder you're doing it wrong in your story.

8. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

Not sure why you're all ragging on HollyEvans; maybe it's not the best story ever stylistically but at least it's actually interesting.

Anyways I know of only one other long-ish fem!harry story not mentioned here:
    A Butterfly Effect

It's not exactly DLP friendly, though, as it's mostly H/G.

9. wordhammer

Inb4 THAT'S WHY

Also, the story above won't suit most in here either. As I said, it's an incompatible formula, like cats and swimming pools.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  10. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

Yeah, and here I was thinking DLP liked the kinky shit.

11. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

...okay, maybe it's just me, but in my opinion, just because something is kinky or erotic does not give it an excuse to be poorly written and sloppily-plotted. There's a reason why the best smut!fics, the ones that are remembered, are written by good authors. 'Oedipus Flower', 'Alice in Wonderland', 'Harry Fucking Potter', and a few others were written by solid authors and had the benefit of excellent writing. Other stuff (like the massive amount of kink that cloneserpents shovels out) after a while seems tasteless. Even smut gets dry if there's no good writing or characterization to back it up. That's why Silence Game (my venture into smut) took me so long to write, and why Temptation Game is sitting half-finished on my hard drive - these sorts of fics, if you want them to be memorable with the right effect, require a careful hand.

As for 'Equal and Opposite' - well, shit, Amer himself has said he's not satisfied with how the story played out, but it's unquestionably the best fem!Harry story in the genre - a genre, I might add, is pitifully small. Wordhammer, no offence, but I find it hard not to place Holly Evans in the same group I place fics like 'Crack'd Mirror'. There's a fine line between the presence of smut in a fic and being gratuitous regardless of plot - unfortunately, for me, your work tends to cross that line more than I care for. Sorry, bro.

12. wordhammer

Thank you for the consideration, but I think your assessment is maybe too kind. Even as a first effort, I'm still barely able to walk as a writer. I have no illusions that I've got a seminal work in the making. I'm just having fun with the challenge I set myself, and learning as I go. The smut keeps me motivated. Cloneserpents' work is 'in my neighborhood', and I give him credit as a more straightforward writer.

I don't believe I've tried to defend my work here since my original eye-opening (and I wasn't trying to defend it earlier in this thread, either). Anytime it's brought up, I cringe first and then forward the link to the Review for fair guidance.

I also think Equal and Opposite is a killer story; all I was suggesting is that it wasn't really Girl!Harry, but even that was caged as opinion. As it is I haven't read it in over a year, so my memory is due a refresh.

So, for the new folks- please don't defend the Spiral Path. Read it or don't. It's not like it's hard to find or easily mistaken for something else.

For everyone else- the thread is about finding Fem!Harry fics- I provided the links for the sake of the search, then warned you of the crap you'll find.
    (And the story is in all three of those C2's, if you had any doubt.)

Late EDIT: Looked up Equal and Opposite- I haven't read it at all; I was thinking of a different story entirely. (Pardon our mess...)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  13. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Really? I have a fan? :awesome

Honestly Im rather... ashamed of that fic. It never turned out the way I wanted it, and I just kind of ended it rather abruptly. Still, it generated a rather large following, so go figure.

14. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I liked it myself. I preferred yours over Silvers simply because he was too fucking lazy to get a Beta for his horrid spelling mistakes he made in his stories.

15. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

It might not be for everyone but I like Distaff Side by Clell

Agnostics Puppet: Every time I see your avatar I shudder. Where did you find that?

16. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

It is from an SMBC comic.

17. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Flowers is a decent fem!Harry. One shot, and clearly shippy, but meh. Expected.

18. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The issue with me and Fem!Harry is that they're only doing it for the ship. It changes absolutely nothing critical about the plot besides the strength of his/her mood swings in OotP and who my protagonist is paired with. I'm sure as hell not happy with H/Ron or H/Draco, so who? Cedric Diggory? Bill? That just flips my stomach and don't even get me started on the fem!slash...

Holly Evans and the Spiral Path can suck my fat cock and pretend it's a dildo.

19. wordhammer

So... you want my story to petrify your dick and slice it off for you?

After all, (quote from an ex-Dominatrix I know)

20. Portus

Portus Heir

^ My guess is you're actually paraphrasing the last parting shot of a disappointed ex-gf as she walked out the door.

No offense, of course. I'm sure Blaise hears it all the time. :awesome

Not open for further replies.