1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ghost Stories

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Mar 1, 2011.

1. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Preemptive thread is preemptive.

Also, the Ghost Stories sample chapters are out. Go read nao.

Edit: I shouldn't try to write after no sleep for two days. Spelling fix'd.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  2. Fimbulvintr

Fimbulvintr Seventh Year

Just read the chapter, and I've got to say, the whole thing seems really unfair. Also, July? FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

3. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

Well thats a long fucking wait.

Now on to the real dilemma, which book to read, The Crippled God or The Wiseman's Fear. Both of which arrived today, TCG arrived 2 days late!

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Interesting chapter for sure. As usual Butcher jumps right into something and catches the reader's attention. Interesting how they are harping on how Dresden is actually dead and not something else. I had thought that maybe he somehow avoided dying completely, but this is more interesting.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

6. Ched

Oz if that surprises you did you miss the end of this thread? Spoiler post three from the bottom on page 2.

Also, YEAH! @ what Oz said.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    First dibs on Murphy's dad being the Captain.

8. Ched

What do you mean first dibs? It was posted weeks ago in the thread I linked in my last post. XD

9. Aekiel

High Score:
    Do'h! Didn't click the link, thought I'd be first in this thread.

10. Jamie Brooks

Jamie Brooks Second Year

Theres also a few other things that have been hinted at for those that want to know.
    The demonreach mystery will be resolved at the end. Along with Harry's resurrection.

There will be faeries in this book. I dont know if they can see the dead. It was a tweet about Jim having problems with faeries in chapter 34. Could he be back in his body by then?

Also next book is called Winter Knight.

11. Zed

Zed Third Year

Squee~

I'm thinking that there's some Outsider involvement in Harry's murder, what with the "breaking the rules" in his death and all that. Also seems like the kind of thing the Inbetween Death cops would be involved in, with an Angel on staff and the general nature of their existence and the place they inhabit.

12. Aekiel

High Score:
    Using Outsiders doesn't really seem like cheating to me though, especially when he was killed by a sniper. I'm thinking more Sixth Law than Seventh. I think they gazed into the future in order to know when Harry would be vulnerable enough to kill without a chance of defending himself.

13. Brown

Brown Third Year

"You're dead, son. Cheer is contraindicated."

I liked how even a dead guy was carefully vague about the afterlife, and it was stated that Harry was only seeing what he was allowed to see.

Such a great first chapter. Can't wait to see how Harry pulls off his greatest trick ever, without anything up his sleeves.

14. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

1) Learned a couple of new words.
    2) Being dead might absolve him of carrying out a certain bargain made at the end of the last book. I don't yet know how I feel about that.
    3) Status of Lash, now? He doesn't have his physical body, but he still retains himself, which suggests that Butcher is some sort of Cartesian dualist, but Lash was anchored to his physical brain, so her status now is still up in the air. And that is awesome.
    4) Such an awesome freakin' chapter.

15. Aekiel

High Score:
    Lash was also using his soul as a power source, if you'll remember, so her status is even more up in the air than before.

16. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Jim has stated that death is not enough to get out of a bargain with Mab, if that's what you mean.

17. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

I'm not really sure those are the laws they're talking about. I think it's more like how the bad guys were breaking the rules when Lucifer was the one powering up the big anti-magic trap for Ivy and so in response Uriel got to bend the rules by giving Harry soulfire. My guess is down bellow broke the rules in just how much they can interfere in order to kill Harry, so he gets the rules on the dead staying dead bent a little to balance it back out. Just my idea based on Uriels quote in small favor.

“You gotta think that maybe there’s a matter of balance, here,” he said. “Maybe one archangel invested
    his strength in this situation overtly and immediately. Maybe another one was just quieter about it.
    Thinking long-term. Maybe he already gave you a hand.”

18. Aekiel

High Score:
    Could be, though through Small Favor it wasn't so much said that Lucifer cheated as much as he decided to throw his power in when it would most benefit his side. War in the Dresdenverse may be governed by the Accords, but breaking them doesn't mean you're cheating. It just means you risk pissing off Mab if you do.

19. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I didn't want to start a new thread for this and I don't think anyone posted this already - book 14 will be called Cold Days. If Butcher is telling the truth it will come out before this year ends.

Yeah. :)

20. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

JB's twitter says GS is done and Book 14 id due before the end of the year. Yay!