1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Something that the 90s kids will understand

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Zeitgeist, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Children of the 90s, watch this.

Ah, the memories. xP

2. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

His touch on the gate seemed to have done it. A sign had risen out of the ground in front of them, up through tangles of nettles and weeds, like some bizarre, fast-growing flower, and in golden letter upon the wood it said:

On this spot, on the night of 31 October 1981,
    Lily and James Potter lost their lives.
    Their son, Harry, remains the only wizard ever
    to have survived the Killing Curse.
    This house, invisible to Muggles, has been left
    in its ruined state as a monument to the Potters
    and as a reminder of the violence
    that tore apart their family.

But Harry barely glanced at the words, for his eyes were fixed on the bottom right corner of the board. Hermione pressed her hand against her mouth and choked back a sob.

'Oh, Harry.'

Harry's nails pressed deep in his palms as he clenched his fists tightly shut. He was shaking, rage beating through him like a drum. For all around those neatly lettered words scribbles had been added by other witches and wizards who had come to see the place where the Boy Who Lived escaped. Some had merely signed their names in Everlasting Ink; others had carved their initials into the wood, still other had left messages. But the most recent of these, shining brightly over sixteen years' worth of magical graffiti, made all these fade away. Just two simply lines, carelessly scratched in the corner.

Voldemort was here.
    Harry is a Loser!

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Dude, the series is still going. You can't nostalgia about a show that's still around.

4. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

As far as I'm concerned, the series ended years ago. I still watch the new episodes but so far there hasn't been one where I haven't had the urge to nerdrage.

:(

5. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    No. Fuck that.

I caught all 150 back in 1998. Anything since has been to milk the cash cow dry.

I mean Jezuz-tap-dancing-Christ, look at this shit:

[​IMG]

That was the evolution of Pokemon. Nostalgia for the original and the best.

*Stolen from Pokemon pics thread

6. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

Ah, I thought Gold/Silver was pretty awesome :(.

7. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Mudkip is awesome shut up.

8. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

A lot of people, even in the rather devoted fandom, maintain that the show ended at the end of the GSC saga. a.k.a when Misty left.

The show did change a lot since its initial inception. It isn't too far-fetched to assert that what we have on TV now is different to what we had to start with. Even without the changes that Joe alluded to, the dynamic is different. The rival isn't an arrrogant douche or mf like Gary, the chick is pretty bland compared to Misty, and the show has gone on for too long.

Ash is still meant to be ten, after all those regions? Fuck that.

Either the entire cast had to be rotated out much earlier, or the show had to finish before.

Either way, what we have now isn't what we grew up with. Hence, we can feel nostalgic.

EDIT:

Another point. Even the original cast has left entirely, leaving the characters with complete new voices. If that isn't evidence that the show isn't the same, then I don't know what is. Makes sense, since Brock and Misty are both gone, and all of the original cast (Ash, Gary, Oak, etc.) have been defanged and rendered dissimilar to their original characterisations.

The games are still good, though. Thankfully Gamefreak made an actual effort with the plot in recent years

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
    TSN