1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Fan Games

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Alindrome, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Can anyone recommend any?

For those who don't know, pokemon fangames are games made by fans - most often they'll have new story lines, new protagonists and villains, maps and regions, pokemon or graphics. They tend to be either patches or mimic pokemon games' gameplay while being built from scratch (a good base is Poccil's Pokemon Starter Kit on RPGXP).

My recommendations:

Pokemon Toxic Purple - Probably my favourite game of those I've encountered so far, despite only being a demo at the time of its release and no longer worked on as far as I know. Very unique gameplay - short but well worth it. You play as a team rocket grunt working their way up the ladder by stealing pokemon and completing assignments. The system of getting pokemon really stuck out as great, and the game is just the right amount of challenging - you even start out with a Rattata.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pokemon Flora Sky - Haven't finished playing this one through, but I like it a lot from what I've seen so far. Great graphics, great maps. There are fourth and fifth generation pokemon in this game, and they've been animated well and fit well into their surroundings. Unlike Pokemon Toxic Purple this one is definitively finished, with two versions available; a regular version and one with an alternative pokedex. The hack doesn't seem particularly strong on the story line, but for the most part there aren't horrendous grammar mistakes.

This is essentially like another Pokemon game in itself - a new region, though still referred to as Hoenn - all comprised of new maps and things to do. I'm not particularly far through it, but it's entertaining. Well worth a play.

Also has its own website with handy things like walkthroughs and pokemon location lists.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pokemon Sienna
    - Another one I'm playing right now. Another complete game - not as strong on the maps as Flora Sky, but with a more interesting premise. This one is also a whole game of its own; a new region, new maps, some not terrible fakemon (though some of them look horrible, haha).

Apparently you can join the evil Team in this one, though I haven't got to that point yet. You can play the game either by opposing them or joining them - so I'm willing to bet it has replay value. Won Hack of the Year on the pokecommunity forums - it seems to have a stronger story line than Flora Sky does. You play as a character just rejected from the Indigo Plateau Trainer School, who decides to journey out on their own as the alternative.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So - ever played a good pokemon fan game? Do share.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Doesn't this fall under Wares, considering they are rom-based hacks? I mean, if you removed the direct link toward the site in question where the patchs can be found at, and just discussed the content in general, but...

3. Alindrome

Nope. All the hacks are just patches, not ROMs themselves. Nowhere in any of those links are ROM downloads.

4. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok, then. I'll take a look through- sounds interesting.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Plus no one gives a shit about distributing ROMs anyway. <_<

I looked int stuff like this years ago but could never find anything and promptly forgot. I'll have to check 'em out, cheers 'Drome! :D

6. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I played Pokemon ShinyGold for a bit, until my computer started its overheating problems. Pretty great game. It wasn't ever finished to my knowledge, but it was great regardless. Link.

7. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

There's Pokemon Prism, it's a Gold hack that features a new region, story, soundtrack and Pokemon-only sections(Where you play as your Larvitar).

And the best part? You can find it on mobile.

8. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Can someone help me with Pokemon Prism? I want it on my Android, but I can't figure it out. Get on IRC and IM me, or PM me here. (due to no warez)

I really want to play this on my phone :3 :3

EDIT: NVM. I think it's only available on PSP. Also, it's only to the 4th gym. Coolboyman is apparently working on the next update, though, so I think I will just wait. :/

---------- Post automerged at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Scratch that. Palindrome is a boss/goddess/my hero.

She helped me install it on my phone, and I'll be starting it tomorrow. I will post my thoughts once I do. Sooooo excited. <3 <3

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  9. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Ah, fan made Pokemon games. I still remember playing the one that was modeled after a creepypasta. Something about shattered dreams and forgotten Pokebros.

I think I'm due to look into some happier ones...thanks for reminding me.

10. Alindrome

Was that the Lost Silver game I posted a while ago? That one wasn't really a game - more of an interactive story, I suppose.

11. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Yup, that's the one. Kinda put me off Pokemon afterwards, but then I picked up White and it was all better.

Also, browsing that pokecommunity site, there's a lot of pretty interesting hacks out there. There's Pure White and Pitch Black, solving my biggest complaint of the newest games being too easy.

12. Alindrome

Pure/Pitch certainly does solve that problem - it is insanely hard, though the quirky changes to the game like the gender swaps make it more bearable. The problem with Pure/Pitch's version of hard is that while it gets you to use tactics more effectively, it also still means a lot of grinding on the terribly weak wild pokemon, which isn't particularly fun.

13. Ash

So far, Prism is awesome. I got to play as my Larvitar :3

Also, I have to post a screencap at some point of Professor Ilk and how he speaks lolololol.

14. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Why do they make you give a credit card number to join the website? Feels kinda dangerous :(

15. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Sounds really dangerous. Also like a scam. What's the site?

16. Ash

What website?

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The one with Toxic Purple, I assume. My friend had the same issue when he tried to register, he was asked for his credit card. Didn't happen to me, though, and eventually he managed to register without that, though he didn't tell me how.

18. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I love me some good Pokemon Hacks. Pokemon Quartz was probably the first big hack I played way back, batshit crazy Spanish and poor sprites and all (Also spawned a fantastically funny LP), but Shiny Gold was always my favourite, especially Shiny Gold X. There were others - Prism, Brown, ToxicPurple, Orange Islands - and countless others that just sorta blend together in my mind. The great thing is that the whole process has gotten a lot more streamlined and easier as time goes on, which has lead to some great releases, people using them to tell stories, like interactive fanfiction, which I love and would love to do something like one day - hell, it's why I tried making some years back at PokeCommunity.

Haven't played any hacks for a while, though. Might now when I get some free time, so cheers for the reminder, Drome.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  19. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

If anyone else wants to play Prism on mobile but they don't have an Android or an Iphone, you can find it on Mobile9. Just do a search for Pokemon Prism and look for the one that's over 1mb.

20. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

/me pauses

...I have this stinking notion in my mind that we could make a lulzily epic DLP-version Pokemon game.

...Could we?

...Naaah.

...Can we?

...Naaaaaaaaaah.

............Should we?