1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Dionaea House

Discussion in 'Flash and Spam Games' started by Styx0444, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Most have probably come across this before, but I found it earlier today when looking up creepypasta and thought I'd share.

It's a journal entry/correspondence style work of original fiction that starts when a man named Mark is anonymously sent a newspaper article about an old friend of his murdering two others and then killing himself. Mark sends emails to Eric, another friend who also knew Drew, chronicling his search for answers.

After you finish reading, click on -updates- and read those. Several of those entries contain links to other blogs and IM logs that continue the story. Sometimes the comments on one posts are signed as another character, replying or continuing the story further. On the whole, it's done pretty cleverly.

Unfortunately the entire thing seems to hit a brick wall and stop suddenly at this livejournal, though it's entirely possible that I missed something. Rumors say that this was supposed to be publicity for a movie, but I kinda doubt it at this point. It may have been abandoned by the author after that post, though if you look through the comments, you can find posts continuing it that aren't mentioned elsewhere. Maybe some of the bigger fans took hold and gave it a life of it's own.

Either way, it's interesting and fairly creepy on occasion.

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

This is very well done. I also didn't know about Creepypasta before. Very talented writers on that site.

3. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I read this creepypasta a while ago. Pity it was abandoned; it was very good.

4. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

If you liked The Dionaea House, you will probably enjoy House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielweski.

5. Andro

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  6. Styx0444

Sounds extremely weird, so I'll give it a shot if nothing else. I think I saw it at my library a while back.

7. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

House of Leaves makes my head hurt.

8. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

9. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

God I have a lovehate relationship with creepypasta stories. Some of the shit flying around on the internet are so complex and incredible that you could believe it if someone said they were going to turn it into a movie.

Others are so devastatingly simple that they leave me with cold sweats.

We should totally make this into a creepypasta thread.

10. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Make this into a creeypasta thread? Okay.

Recently, I found an author of numerous creepypasta stories that are just mind-boggling. Most of the stories aren't connected, except for one which is a sequel to another, and three that are in a series. The most popular of the stories is called Necropotence, which is one of the best. Here's a link to his first posted story, Clash.

Seriously, I cannot recommend this author enough.

11. Andro

The Violent Harvest story in June 2011 was fantastic. Loved it. The vampire hunter who uses science to develop Liquid Blue, and the unique point-of-view decisions.

I can't get The Stranger on a Train out of my head. This is the same kind of thing that you'd expect Neil Gaiman would write, except better, to be quite honest. I read stories like Sand Kings by G.R.R Martin that write Nebula or Hugo Awards, and Stranger is amazing to the same level.

12. Fiat

Really? I thought it was good - hell, even great - for a creepypasta, but nowhere near the quality I'd expect from a published work.

13. Styx0444

14. Lightfighter

Lightfighter Third Year DLP Supporter

I loved The Dionaea House; super creepy but in a way that it almost seems plausible. The whole blog/email way of telling the story was neat too. Anyway, Eric Heisserer, the writer, is actually a screenwriter. He sold the rights for TDH to Warner Bros, but unfortunately it got stuck in development hell. Apparently, according to tv tropes, it's set to finally be released this year under the name "The Occupants." The only thing I could find for that was this, which unfortunately doesn't look like much of a real movie, or if it is, a B-movie at best. Pity, I think it could have been really good.

Oh, and I just read House of Leaves. Creepy, too, in way that makes you think. I guess I'm gonna be hitting up creepypasta a lot more these days.

EDIT: Also, for those interested, here's an afterword from Heisserer about the whole thing, which implies that as far as he's concerned it's done.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  15. Fiat

GLORIOUS SOVIET CREEPYPASTA!

Warning: Not scary, but it is a pretty funny parody of a classic creepypasta.

16. Styx0444

New adventure from the same writer

Been a while, but I thought this was worth a necro.

The guy who wrote The Dionaea House is back with a new tale, which can be found here.

Started only ten days ago, but the most recent update claims that it's the last entry. In character, but the dude hasn't broken character once, so it's a little hard to tell. Hopefully, he keeps it up.