1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Fan Games

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Alindrome, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    400th post.

Oz's gym is a pink tower. With a Snorlax on top.

Totally worth it.

2. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I can help out with the art part. I actually did a bunch of designs for a fan game a loooong time ago (like 8 or 9 years) that never got off the ground. I'll look around and see if I can find em. :b

3. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

I can script and map too.

Just a thought. How about using RMXP instead? Though I am not final authority on this from what I saw earlier ROMs can tend to overload and fuck everything up. Using RMXP you can code more stuff in too.

4. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Oh, agreed. I don't know why people aren't considering RMXP more. I have lots of experience with it, and it's fantastically easy to use. And it would let me actually know what's possible to implement code-wise (and implement it). I'd rather have more control over the game like I'd get with RMXP, and like I said earlier, the only real drawback is not having the rest of the game. And possibly needing to learn a bit of Ruby for those who want to script, but it's not particularly hard to pick up, and most of the game development can be done without it, just with a bit of knowledge of the game systems which all come in two handy lengthy FAQs. And if the website's down for Poccil's Starter Kit, then I know where to find the downloads elsewhere, with a bit of persistence. Not to mention I have them on my computer.

iLost: Like Lungs said, sprite creation is a lot of work for not much payoff. Essentially you just pick at the sprite until the shape approximates what you want it to represent. Lines: try to keep them neat, only use 1px wide lines, cut any consecutive pixels out - so if you have a diagonal line you only have pixels touching each other diagonally when moving right, for example. It's because you don't have a lot of space to work with, so it's not very forgiving.

Far more enjoyable is sprite work where you're working with a large image and can attack it with a large pixel brush, like these homestuck sprites I made [link] - here, that isn't feasible. Spriting is all about subtelty; use a corner with an extra pixel to suggest sharpness, take that pixel away to create a rounded edge. I'm looking for people who won't give up because of how frustrating it can be, and I'd favour the ideas and originality over the quality of the sprites. Most of all; be pragmatic. Choose your battles, use other people's work if you can. Take a look through other artist's stuff to get a feel for it, like the Kyle Dove's [link]. He's the best spriter I've ever seen, actually. But we don't need artistic genius, just creativity.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  5. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

I'm not that great with coding and have very little experience with sprites, but if you still need some testers, I'll be happy to do that and have quite a bit of free time to do so.

6. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Oooh god, I forgot how bad I was, lolololol

Here's a banner for it, buried in the dregs of my old photobucket account. It's all I can find, aside from the hard copies (wherever they are). I seriously did like thirty fakemons, a couple gym leaders, the boy and girl trainers... and some pokeballs, I think. Damn, I wish I could find those. Anyway, here's the banner, horrible over-saturation and all:

[​IMG]

Ah! I found the old yahoo group! I don't know what's on there now; you have to be a member to join. If anybody's curious: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/PokemonBlack_White/

7. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Looks like you're just the person we need, Rusty. It's great to have more people for the graphics team.

Also, I'm off, won't be online for a while yet.

8. Lungs

High Score:
    And partially about intelligent use of anti-aliasing. D8

RMXP... I have like fourteen copies floating around on usb drives and crap all over my house. D8 Never got around to using it for real, but I think people have released script packs out there for many, many popular games. o_O

At any rate, it's better than that VX crap. :facepalm

9. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I have exams coming up the start of next month, but I'd love to help out as much as time allows, and after exams are done I should have a lot more free time. I'm not a very good artist, but I have a little programming experience, and am reading the docs linked in the thread now. If you still need more help on this, I'm volunteering to pitch in any way I can.

10. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This is too legit! Hit me up if you need any help not on the graphics side though by the sounds of it you got loads of people on that side anyway.

I would bring 14 years of pokefagness to the team. D:

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm up for helping out in any way I can (though I'm pretty much a newbie to all this shit - I'd help out with the storyline though).

12. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Same here.

13. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Okay, I'm game for this. Creativity I can pull out of my ass, and would like to be put on for sprite creation. Rather it be from modifying existing, to creating from scratch. It'll be a damned challenge, but I'm actually looking forward to it.

Shoot me an invite when you get the chance. I have a bazillion questions about going about this.

Also....RMXP? As in Rpg Maker Series? Never got into XP, because of cost, but I toyed around with RPG 95 and 97 fucking years ago. Wow. Seriously, you guys should use that. It was insanely easy to put things together in those programs. I mean almost funny how it easy it was. Those earlier programs were pretty limiting in my opinion. (Had grand schemes and all that.) I'm thinking XP is a lot more versatile. Like I said, no experience with that one.

Looking forward to this.

14. Lungs

High Score:
    Go onto the iRC - /j Pokemanz. We're all working hard (and in some cases, hardly working) there.

15. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Things are getting underway nicely. People are getting the hang of mapping, and ideas are flowing about locations, Pokemon in those locations, and several cameo and storyline DLP member encounters (We have like three Taure/Ashayas, and if I get my way we keep them all! For the lulz).

One thing I'll note is that, right now, the storyline idea will not incorporate your traditional gym plot, which we've all played before. The Team X escapades - both against (WK) and with (TF) will be the focus, as well as the legendary Pokemon boss fights. Gym leaders will appear, however, and for those curious, yes, you'll be able to fight all eight - not for badges, but for storyline reasons (Destroy the Cult of Oz! Free Westside from Vash's moderation!), or in the case of some, just optional experience-raisers (Kill Poytin for kicks!). The leaders will be the same ones as the Pokemon Online tourneys we had - Vash, Oz, MattSilver, ChaosGuy, Poytin, Seratin, Silens Cursor and Lutris, with the same typings we had, probably.

Either way, things are going, on both plot stuff and game mechanics. Just thought you all would like the update.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  16. Lungs

High Score:
    Lagging a little behind is the sprite making (there's only two people on it, working in different time zones), and the event hacking, which hasn't been started.

The first is very long, tedious and somewhat easy if you have creativity and an eye. Not an eye for art. An eye.

The second is very difficult, fast, brutal, and buggy.

I'm somewhat capable of both, as is Palindrome, but we're both in the process of spriting. I'm ashamed to say that while I got several buildings done full custom yesterday, I barely made any work today.

I'm sorry! D8

But me and Palindrome will also be tied up in the Assembly process, and as our Event Hackorz are currently MIA... if YOU learned to Event Hack (maybe several hours of trial, tutorials and testing), YOU can help!

There are a million tutorials, and if you're interested, jump on IRC. Lutris will add you to the group, and we'll coach you on all the resources you can use.

People in full tilt and capable of creating the outfit of the hack and are capable of everything currently MattSilver, Palindrome and myself (I can't map, though D8). We haven't been assembling for obvious reasons yet...

People who've done huge amounts of mapping include Sin and Zeitgeist, and an unidentified amount of people are working on the script and stuff.

So we need Event Hackers!

If you want to help, THIS is the best way to help!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  17. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lungs recruited me. I've been programming on and off for four or five years, and got halfway through a CS major before I decided I like econ more. I haven't done ROM hacking before (events/scripting in particular, I guess) but I can pick it up.

18. Tomatta

Tomatta Seventh Year

So how many people are actually working on it then? Do you have targets set out or is it a project to be worked on whenever everyone is in the mood?

19. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Might I request a cameo as a male gardevoir?

Also, I'd love to help out despite a lack of skills and time: spriting sounds like it's understaffed, so igfanyone knows any good resources/tutorials I'd be glad to help out there.

20. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Hm. I was just going through the list of hacks out there and was wondering if there's one out that let's you be a gym leader. Anyone know?