1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Fallout: Equestria by Kkat - M - MLP FiM x Fallout

Discussion in 'My Little Pony' started by ZombieHunter, May 28, 2011.

1. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    New chapter is up.

Nice to see LittlePip finally diversifying her magical arsenal a bit.

Possibility of Fluttershy coming back to life? That'll be interesting.

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm on Chapter 39 right now. This story's fantastic... and incredibly heartbreaking in places. Lots of places. I was expecting far less out of it, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I particularly like the fusion of the Fallout backstory into MLP. It actually feels appropriate somehow. And the sheer number of puns are amazing.

My only real complaint so far is that it seems to take a lot from Fallout 3, by far my least favorite game in the series. But then it takes a lot from the other games too, so it's not so bad.

Hopefully it really does end in "Sunshine & Rainbows!"

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  3. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

This is kind of scary... just yesterday, I was reading in Game Informer about some go going off on the editors for downing MLP. He said they same thing that Aekiel said..

And then, lo and behold, I get onto DLP and here we have...

MLP.

How...weird.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

So, is this a fic just for MLP fans?

Are people who have no experience with MLP going to be able to read this?

5. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    You can probably follow the story reasonably well without being a MLP-watcher since the story centers around original characters. However, you'd obviously miss the mythology gags and whatnot.

6. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Chapter 43 is up.

Epic chapter is epic.

7. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

I've never read a Fallout fic before, but this crossover and the reviews make me want to give it a try. I've only played Fallout 3 though, is that in any way a problem?

8. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Shouldn't be a big issue. The fic draws on Fallout 3 more heavily than the other Fallout games (though it definitely borrows from all of them), and you won't really need to know the Fallout lore inside-and-out to enjoy the story.

9. Red Aviary

High Score:
    You'll probably miss out on some references/puns and such. A quick jaunt through The Vault might help a little, but it's not necessary.

10. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
  11. Censure

Censure First Year

Story continues to be very epic and well done. Definitely the best of its genre that I've encountered.

Honestly, the whole pony thing has slipped into the background completely by this point except for when there's a direct physical reference. I really like the "We Need To Do Better" push that's been building up throughout the story. It's rare for a piece of fanfiction this long to have such a theme weaved in throughout.

12. shizuki

shizuki First Year

The most significant accomplishment that this fic achieves, in my opinion, is that all the characters are fully fleshed-out, complete beings, regardless of their actual species. Not only do I care about the central cast, I feel like I know them. I feel like they aren't just Lilpip's bosom companions, but that they're mine as well. That's my hallmark of great characterization.

13. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Final Chapter (except for the epilogue).

Not sure what to think about it; it's good, but there seems to be something missing from it. Can't quite put my finger on what it is that bugs me about this chapter though. Maybe it's just the shortness not giving it the same lots of important and epic stuff happening feel that the previous chapters had.

Then again, the short finality of it all is kind of fitting.

I'm torn between loving the tragedy of it all, and hoping that the author manages to somehow pull off a happy ending for Littlepip.

Also, I loved what Celestia had to say about Littlepip's colorful euphamisms.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  14. shizuki

shizuki First Year

At least for me, I was disappointed that this "ending" chapter concludes almost nothing. We don't know how to the fighting ends, we don't have any after-stories, we don't even know if everyone makes it out alive. It's practically a filler chapter, serving only to tie the end of the story to the beginning, tugging heartstrings all the while.

15. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Presumably the epilogue will handle the after-stories and such.

Fallout:Equestria has always been told from Littlepip's perspective, so it is somewhat fitting that the main story ends when Littlepip's role in it ends. Unless there's a happy twist at the end, the epilogue will presumably handle everything that happens after Littlepip's comafication, including what happened to all the other characters.

16. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Epilogue is up.

Not a bad finale to an epic fic. Everything isn't a perfect happy ending, but then, that was never in the cards. In the end, it's still a pretty optimistic ending; there's a lot of problems left to deal with, but everything Littlepip did has finally managed to push things to the point where all the damage can be fixed. Just restoring hope counts for a lot.

17. Red Aviary

High Score:
    The ending chapters just didn't... wow me as much as the rest of the story did. They're decent enough, but I feel that there are still a lot of loose ends to tie up. Unless he's planning on doing a sequel, that's unacceptable.

Still, the story on the whole is excellent. Definitely a 5/5.

Oh, the previously-inaccessible .PDF version listed on the story page is now accessible. It's lacking the epilogue at the moment, but that will probably be fixed soon.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  18. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    I have to agree that the ending felt like it didn't quite match up to the continually escalating awesomeness of the climax. I think that's it's biggest fault; the ending itself works, but the transition is just a bit too abrupt. The final chapter and epilogue would both benefit from having a few thousand more words in them to smooth things out.

The ending definitely leaves the door open for a sequel, so I wouldn't be shocked if one happens. Ending on a note of 'Hope is restored, but there's still a lot more work to do' can work as a finale, but it would be very easy to return to at some point. If there is a sequel, it's probably going to be a bit before it shows up; the author cranked out a huge amount of material in a fairly short time, so I wouldn't be surprised if s/he wants a break from writing post-apocalyptic ponies.

And I definitely agree with RA; the slightly weak ending is still better than 95% of the stuff out there, and the rest of it is pure awesomeness.

19. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter DA Member

This fic is so good that I feel like making a bound hard copy.

If only I knew the first place to start for that sort of thing.

20. bombdiggity92

bombdiggity92 Temporarily Banhammered

I'm a few chapters in and i've never watched a single episode of MLP, but i have played the fallout series. What i've read seem to be put together pretty well. 4/5