1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended V: V is not for Vendetta

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Sep 14, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. KGB

KGB Headmaster

A word of warning on that fic.

About 20 chapters in they introduce a wandless magic super wizard that is the head of DoM and is the grandfather of LeStrade's(who in this fic has changed his name from Lestrange) daughter (who is a witch).

Although i stopped reading at that point, so i have no idea how well the character is handled.

2. Rache

Rache Headmaster

The man comes from a family of monks in Asia who constantly practice how to channel their magic without the hinderance of a wand. And no, he isn't a gary-sue and his reasons for inaction during the first war are explained at the end of second year. The only problem I have with it is the snail speed at which the plot is progressing.

As for Lestrade aka Lestrange, his story is slowly coming to light in the latest updates.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My objection isn't so much that there's a character who can do wandless magic as much as the idea that wandless magic is stronger/better than wand magic.

Given that wands are an invention, and that wizards existed before them, it makes sense to me that there should be other ways to perform magic (though though just willing things to happen is a bit boring/unimaginative).

It also makes sense to me that these primitive forms of magic should be to modern magic as starting a fire with a twig is to a lighter.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  4. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Wands were an invention used by wizards as a better focus for their magic rather than fingers.

Thus the magic systems where the writer says that wandless magic is magically impossible need to be amended.

5. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Yes focus, thus better. The Grandmaster is portrayed as being on par with Dumbledore without a wand, thus wandless magic super wizard.

The way i always thought of spells/wandless magic is:

If you want vitamin c you can eat a citrus fruit, you get the vitamin, also fiber and other nutrients. (wandless/old magic.) If you actually need vitamin c you get pills (spells). And if you are in critical need of vitamin c you get it through an iv. (potions and magical devices).

This way wands are not the end all be all of magic, but they have the clear advantage.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah I thought the Grandmaster dude in that story (Study in Magic) was a Gary Stu. Whether or not he is one... he felt like one to me. The other OCs all irritate me as well, with the possible exception of the little Lestrade girl and the woman who taught at Hogwarts (who is irritating but an acceptable addition I guess?).

Though the whole bits with her inventing stuff and making tech work with magic is dumb, as is John's unexplained ability to make stuff work around magic, and so on.

The story itself isn't too bad and I still follow it, but it's definitely "almost recommended" and not library material imo.

:)

7. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

As long as the thread is in a Holmes mood, might as well ask a somewhat related question.

A friend recommended me the story Chronicles of Harry Holmes which is about Harry reading the Holmes books as a kid which changes the world forever. I tried reading it before but quit, and was convinced to try reading it again. Now, since this story is in the Almost Recommended archive, figured I could ask a question about the story here(sorry if that's not the case) and get a more objective answer than I would by just asking my friend:

Does it...get better? I love the idea of Harry reading the Holmes books and having his life change from that single event as opposed to a full-out crossover, but this story is a bit of a mess. It does a time skip for no apparent reason and re-shuffles events with no actual explanation. But what bothers me the most is that sometimes the writer just flat out lifts entire paragraphs from the Holmes stories and tries to make them fit into his story, which also turned Neville into Watson. It's not really a passing reference here or there--which I'd love--but full paragraphs.

So uh, my question is this:

I'm up to chapter 6 and the pacing is...a bit weird, the writing is also a bit weird, and the plot is...let's go with quirky. Does it get better?

8. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Nah, it doesn't. The placement of Chronicles of Harry Holmes in Almost Rec. thread is debatable for the simple fact that the magic system the author uses in the story is full of crap.

Also, Harry is a gary-stu in it and it's sequel. He never makes a mistake and every case he takes up after graduation, he solves within minutes. Also, Voldemort is pretty lame in the story almost to the level of utter stupidity and the 'moriarty' is someone very predictable.

The story is OK for a one time read. I'd give it a 2.5/5.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

A new Harry/Cho story.

Hogwarts Eagle
    Cho Chang has finally entered her fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The prospect of the Triwizard Tournament being hosted at the school is both exciting and frightening. Undoubtedly this year, like all others, is destined to be mingled with some kind of terror and this time, Cho's life is about to be forever altered. Eventual Cho/Harry.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Fantasy/Romance - Cho C. & Harry P. - Chapters: 2 - Words: 10,308​

The diary-like bits are pretty superfluous, but the writing is decent, and I like the nuanced characterisation of Cho. It's from her POV though, so that might put some people off. On the flip side, this prevents it from being a simple GoF-rehash.

10. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

Thanks for the response. Pity the story doesn't get much better because I do like that concept, but might as well just give it a quick read and don't pay too much attention to it.

11. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Here is a story about adult Harry and Ginny's life from a muggle's pov. Has good characteriation story mostly focused on characters. Doesn't have any overarching plot or any action whatsoever and doesn't pretend to either. Has good enough writing, nice atmosphere and decent grammar.

I might even put up this for review but I don't think it is DLP's cup of tea.

Still if you are looking a light relaxing read this is good choice.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was all ready to tear that fic to pieces... but you're right. It's just... nice. Well written, with a unique perspective. It's actually quite fun observing the Potters from the outside.

13. Infidel

Infidel Auror

I think this needs to be put up for review. A very light and fun read.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't believe this is the sort of fare that would do well under DLP's collective tastes. It's a bit too domestic, even if it is technically well written and a nice time waster.

15. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, I think it'd be similar to that one fic a while back, with a special needs Harry. Technically very good, and certainly well liked. But not really HP fanfiction - with a bit of reworking, you could probably make it fit quite a lot of modern fantasy settings.

16. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

So to the review then? I will put it up now.

Edit: Up for the reviews.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  17. frantic

frantic Boosted

A warnier word.

John Watson is a woman.

I can never get past chapter 3 because of that.

EDIT: So, I've been reading this Time Travel fic called His Own Man, and it's... decent? It does some things good, some things bad, and is cliched at times, but its still written better then average.

18. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

Well, I finished "The Chronicles of Harry Holmes." Yeah it wasn't too bad for a quick read, but the straight up copying paragraphs from the Holmes stories got really bad by the end. It was especially bad because it broke any immersion the story had since events happening exactly how they were written in a book that Harry had read makes for this weird scenario where...you get where I'm going with this.

Still, I love the concept and since I doubt there will ever be another story that does the "Harry reads Holmes becomes different" thing, I'll take it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

That story's writing is a bit too heavy-handed for my taste.

I mean any story that has this sentence...

...within the first few paragraphs is a bit weird in terms of characterization. Every character's morality and intentions seem to be stated in plain words, like they all exist in this weird realm where you have to say what you feel and are in order to actually be those things.

The story explicitly mentions Harry being his "own man" four or five times, like the author is afraid we won't get it unless he says it like that.

Plus Harry's...rather sudden personality change is a bit grating.

Personally not a huge fan of it. I got as far as chapter 3 before deciding it wasn't for me based on the writing, so hey maybe it gets better and the plot makes up for the things I have issues with. Or maybe it's more pet peeves of mine as opposed to the story having actual issues, hell if I know.

19. frantic

frantic Boosted

I did read it at like 3 in the morning, so my views on it might be skewed by "Oh this follows basic grammar rules".

I probably missed like half of the shit that would normally send me running because of that.

20. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Hawk has started publishing a re-write of his Harry/Narcissa fix - Black Heir

For those of you that have no idea what that fic is, here is a copy/paste of it's summary:
    It was started quite a few years ago, and to date it remains the most interesting Harry/Nacissa fic out there (insert here hope for Johnny Farrar to update soon his "Story of Hallows and Horcruxes" story, so at least we will have interesting and well written fic that features Harry/Narcissa).

Back to Black Heir - it has cliches, it has moments that will probably force some to hit the red button quite early in the story, but my claim still stands that it is the most interesting Harry/Narcissa story currently on ffnet.

Not open for further replies.