1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Broken Quill by Joe Ducie

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, Feb 11, 2013.

1. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Didn't see it on the B&N website earlier. I'll check again though.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Ah, it might not be. I know that's where I bought Distant Star but Broken Quill might not be up there for a bit longer.

3. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Yeah, they have Distant Star, but not Broken Quill yet.

4. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

Does anyone know where I can get the ebook that is available to Africa?

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The acknowledgements of BQ made me sad, fyi.

6. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Shoot me an email address and I'll send it your way.

Cheers.

7. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Just finished it up a little while ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Left a review here. Sorry that it's so disjointed, super tired right now.

Cheers though Joe, can't wait for the next installment!

8. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I want to write you an review; I will probably get that done at the end of this break. But for now, read it, loved it, looking forward to more.

question about a scene:
    But was it just me, or was the Secret Garden almost word-for-word from Unfound Door? It felt kind of jimmied in there either way, but yeah. Replace some names and it reads the same.

9. Heart of the star

Heart of the star Squib

Heh, i bought both of them recently. I've only managed to read Distant Star so far but it was awesome so if broken quill is even half as good then I'm going to get any others that come out as well.

Anyway, seriously well done this is majorly impressive. You're an inspiration to all of us who write for fun.

Joe
  10. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Well damn. You are my all time "This guy should write a real book" and here you have a bunch of them out. You should stick them in your sig, or perhaps I should frequent this side of the forum more often.

Gonna grab Distant Star through Amazon Prime, will leave a review when I'm done.

Joe
  11. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I just ordered the two books while getting the anthology. I'll give a review as soon as I'm done with them.

Joe
  12. Joe

High Score:
    It was actually the other way round, but yeah, similar scene. I wrote it for Broken Quill then slotted it into Unfound Door when I got stumped on that chapter.

Cheers.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Finally broke down and ordered DS and BQ from a local bookstore. Next month, I'll be holding them in my hands and chuckling madly.

14. Heart of the star

Heart of the star Squib

I managed to read Broken Quill recently and it was really good and i liked it a lot, so I'm definitely going to keep up with the series.

The only thing i think needs to be addressed is the history of the Story thread. You've created this amazing world with unique systems, motives, new ways of looking at things and ideas. But we don't know that much about it. The characters are well done and realistic (for the setting). But the world just doesn't feel important as a world, it feels to me a bit like a plot device to get the story moving (which it is in a sense...).

But anyway I think it would be better if you were able to do a bit more exploration as to what your world is in the next book.

15. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Just received my copy of the anthology and your two books Joe! I'm going to be busy this week with school and some RPG game, but I should have them done by next week and have some reviews coming up on amazon!

16. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

In the Hale-verse books can be used as weapons, as we've seen. Does that mean that kindles can be used as weapons? I mean, technically they are books. Only reason I ask this is that I just re-read The Forgotten Library.

17. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Just finished the Distant Star. Was an interesting read. I had some difficulty getting into it; there was so many things I didn't really understand at first and I had to wait until the end to finally get my bearing together. There are still some unanswered questions, but I'm hoping the second book will take care of that.

I'm going to amazon to write a review!

18. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Okay, read this one, too: http://www.amazon.ca/Broken-Quill-R...SPGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363876968&sr=8-1

Suitably glowing, but I actually did enjoy it more than the first.

I gotta say, Annie was my favourite character. She was a lot like Clare, but better defined.

I also think your style in general is improving steadily - I compare this to, say, the first third of Wastelands, and the improvement is obvious, but even over Distant Star, you seem less concerned with leaving more on the page, which is nice. DS was trim, almost anorexic, and while that served the pace, the characterization suffered a might.

BQ struck a nicer balance, and I hope this is the style we can look forward to in future works.

Joe
  19. Joe

High Score:
    Aye, LC, I'm more of a fan of BQ then DS. It just feels better. Knight Fall, the third volume, is actually working out really well so far, too. Got me a better feeling about it than BQ, even.

We'll see.

Few other projects may get in the way of writing Hale for a few months, but let's hope not!

Cheers, mate. Awesome reviews.

20. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Oi Joe, any idea when this'll hit B&N? I'm a lazy bastard and don't want to buy from Amazon and then convert it.