1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete That Which Holds the Image by TheAngelsHaveThePhoneBox - Fiction K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Strider, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not really. The Angels can presumably control it to some extent.

In the most recent Angel episode, the Angels more or less took over New York, and were zapping people back just a couple of days, but keeping them trapped within one building. Sort of a farm for potential energy.

Equally, they don't have to do it at all. It's sort of plot dependent.

2. h2o

h2o Professor

I'm giving this a solid 5/5 because its just as gripping as a story should be involving Weeping Angels. Belongs in the Library even if the Author doesn't quite get the Doctor right :)

3. harryplopper

harryplopper Squib

Weeping Angels in Hogwarts. What's there not to like?

It's not without places where the plot could be cleaned up, and as a previous post points out, the Harry Potter setting isn't utilized as much as it could have been, but the story is nonetheless exciting, of reasonably good quality, and has Weeping Angels in Hogwarts. 5/5.

4. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

...I forgot just how much the Weeping Angels seriously freaked me out. Thanks.

It was a really good read, but it had a few issues. Nothing that other people haven't raised though. 4/5.

5. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

Definitely worthy of being included in the library. Writing was good and the first scene with the antagonist and Harry was an excellent hook.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  6. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

I liked the story, and if I happen upon the sequel later, I'd definitely give it a read as well. Well-written, with characterizations that were fairly accurate, especially the 11th Doctor. Still, I thought the emotional arc with Harry was a bit...late to the game? There wasn't enough build-up for the climax to have sufficient impact.

DW question: If Angels reproduce through images, and have existed since the beginning of, or before, the universe, shouldn't they have outnumbered even the insects by now?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There was a huge amount of fridge logic raised over this issue after their last appearance
    in which the Statue of Liberty became an Angel
    . The best explanation I've seen is that while the Angels can 'reproduce' through images, they are a) smart and b) malevolent. It's a somewhat conscious process, so if it doesn't benefit them to do so, they won't.

For instance, in the episode this concept was first introduced, the image of the Angel conveniently came to life only when the least experienced member of the cast was around, specifically so they could fuck with her and by extension the Doctor. It could have come to life far earlier in the episode and pretty much wiped out the protagonists. Partly plot related, of course, and it's been suggested that it's not an instant thing, that it takes a while for an image to become an Angel, but only doing it when it suits them seems to me to be the best explanation.

8. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

The sequel to this has been put up. Its just the prologue so far.

Edit: Here's the summary:
    SEQUEL TO THAT WHICH HOLDS THE IMAGE. Life. All normal and stuff. With jobs and houses and boring-y, woring-y things like that. Normality, as Harry Potter realises, does not attract mad men in little blue boxes, so any hope of seeing his old friend the Doctor again is pretty slim. But then Ginny Weasley notices the sky is falling, and everything goes completely to hell.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  9. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

"What," she asked, "the hell, is that?"

Above them, standing quite apart from the other littering of stars in the clear night sky, was a legion of enormous, shining lights, lined up in perfect formation, and getting bigger by the second.

"I really hope," said Harry quietly, with a squeeze of Ginny's hand, "that it's just Rita Skeeter."

lulz

10. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

A much preferable explanation to Moffat just over-fucking his own creations.

11. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The Angel's War (the sequel to this fic and linked a couple posts above) recently updated, for those interested.

12. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Is the sequel any good? I remember the original as a cute little fic that didnt call for a fallowup. So I would not want to ruin it if the sequel is shit.

13. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

i wouldnt go so far as to call it shit, but it's definitely ambitious in scope but unfortunately so little has actually happened thus far that it feels a bit underwhelming.

and by ambitious i mean it seems like it's involving nearly every Doctor doing their own thing to help that particular timeline, a much wider range of villains all competing with each other for a vague, undisclosed goal, and plot reasons preventing harry and co. from simply explaining and mobilising the wizarding world against it.

in short, the much narrower focus of the original story is levels above its sequel so far. i guess once we get further into the plot it might be different but right now the update speed is most certainly not keeping up with the pace of the plot

14. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I haven't read everything that's been written, but so far it is pretty standalone. More like an episode that comes along later than anything else.