1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete In Flight by gabriel blessing - M - Fate/Stay Night x Sekirei

Discussion in 'Fate/Stay Night' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Nim

Nim Second Year

What character portrayal? If I didn't already know Saber, after reading this I still wouldn't. It's too bad, since I was sort of looking forward to Saber curb-stomping any Sekirei that tried something (especially Miya). Partly as a guilty pleasure, and partly to help develop their characters a bit more. They're accustomed to being the big fish in the small pond, and seeing a Heroic Spirit could show them the difference between that and the ocean.

I really liked this story when it started, but recently it's been too hard to get into the goings on as it degenerates more and more into harem antics. I keep reading, because there is the occasional scene that gives me hope that it's going to get better.

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You can all hate if you want, but this chapter set up a big fight for next chapter. If there's one thing that Gabriel consistently writes well, it's fights. I'm eager for the next chapter for once!

3. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Yes, I'd agree on that part. To be honest, there's no better scene to develop Saber then in a battle. Still, I can almost guarantee the fight will end up being interrupted, so I doubt it will be as awesome as you may expect, Yak. I simply cannot see the consequences of Shirou or Rin/Saber losing, without too many consequences. And unless we are going to get an entirely new arc, then I'd imagine Minaka or probably Karasuba joining in some how.

4. Imraefi

Imraefi Third Year

5. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Gotta upgrade to those cardboard cutout wives. They are cheaper to handle and they love you since cuz.

6. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Screw it, not even going to bother reading it then. Calling this a massive failure and abandoning it.

7. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As a general supporter and fan of In Flight... this was an absolutely terrible. I just tore through it after hearing about it on IRC.. and I am apalled. This was shit characterization, shit logic and shit writing in general. Way to take a Dive in Quality, GB.

8. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Defeated with a Hanya mask? Seriously? Turns out its not JUST a terrible gag. It's terribly plot relevant. Trolololol.

I actually liked the 2nd half of the chapter with Karasuba and Kazehana. But the Rin/Saber arc was just sorta silly. I wish they'd of been left out entirely.

9. Vikraal

Vikraal First Year

I agree it was disappointing.
    I didn't really mind the whole Mask thing, I even let it slide that Matsu can control even those MBI Satellites that are specifically suppose to have a Anti-Brain Type Firewall/Hardware....or Karasuba was lying/Misinformed and MBI saw everything.

Shirou even defeated Saber in true Arthurian Legend Style, By Stabbing her in the Back.

I don't know much of Nasu-Magic system, but can't some other Magi remove the Geas from Rin?, or she doesn't trust anyone enough to allow it.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  10. yak

I liked this chapter. The Rin and Saber fight wasn't anywhere near as big as I was expecting, but what was there was okay. I did enjoy the interaction with Karasuba and Kazehana. Part of me was expecting Karasuba to take a stab at Shirou, and another was... I dunno, it's sad that Karasuba and Shirou never got together - forget the rest of the harem.

11. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This.

/10char.

12. yak

Talk about missed opportunities.

What's strange is that even the author and the protagonist seem to see the not-winging of Karasuba as a major missed opportunity. I'm hoping she plays a key role in the resolution of this drama.

I'd love to see a Debt of a Sword style short story revolving around Karasuba and Shirou.

13. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

The fight with Saber and Rin was utterly terrible. GB has written some fantastic fights this fic - so why does he skimp out on what should be one of the biggest ones? He even did a short one - which is out of character for him.

The interaction with Karasuba and Kazahana was amazing - some of the best interactions I've seen all fic. I actually managed to feel genuinely sad by the end of the chapter (a feat GB hasn't managed to pull off yet) - not because of Shirou's (lack of) emotions mind you, but because of the way Kazahana put it.

And I honestly don't get why he's obsessed with maintaining the canon harem - because as cliche as it is in most Sekirei fics - having Karasuba as his Sekirei would actually work very well.

So confused though. What's going on here? The fight scene (what GB usually can write) was shit and the interaction (which he can't) was good? o_O

14. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

Karasuba is awesome specifically because she isn't in his harem. The second that happens, the entire "I will dismember you cause it makes me hot" thing, which is what makes the relationship so interesting, goes away. Doesn't mean that Karsuba/Shirou isn't the OTP.

And I liked the fight. It was messy and out of control in a way none of his earlier fights were. It had real consequences and real costs, despite the brevity.

15. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

I think Karasuba is like Miya: the only way to get a working relationship with her is if it it one-on-one. Or at the least have Shirou replace the Ashikabi of the Disciplinary Squad, though I prefer the single relationship.

The fight scene did feel way too fast. I get the intended fast and dirty, but a fight between Saber and Shirou decided in the span of a few seconds? Even with the sacrifice of an arm, the fight was over too fast.

I'll probably stick around the story since it's almost over and I've been following since the beginning, but it just feels like a disappointment overall.

16. SmileOfTheKill

In Flight updated. I got highly confused on why all the Sekirei were so annoying but I forgot I am not reading Steadfast, the much better In Flight story.

Mind, I do like how the plot ended up for this chapter. It was amusing at least.

17. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    The best thing that could happen at this point would be Counter Guardian Emiya showing up and killing everyone. Happy Ending >> On a more serious note, the reveal with Minaka was unexpected. Foreshadowing is for losers I guess, also Post UBW Shirou can crush any magus in this era, suspension of disbelief is impossible when the MC can simply rain swords on his opponents

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  18. SmileOfTheKill

This is false. gabriel blessing already competitively balanced Shirou. He will barely win everything he fights, even if he should completely overpower them. See, the first two magus fights.

19. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I recently replayed the VN, igniting my rage at how he can try to balance a character that is meant to be OP due to the enemies he has to face. Ignoring Canon completely ><

20. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I spent a good five minutes lauhhing when GB said he understood the importance of pacing in his notes. Everything went downhill from there. Until Minaka, that was a so bad it's good momment. I'm actually looking forward to the next chapter, just because I want to see what other ridiculous nonsense GB cooks up.