1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Freak Parade by The-Caitiff - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Title: An Independant Parody
    Author: The-Caitiff
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor/Parody
    Pairing: Harry/Luna (Or, so it seems)
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 23,147
    Updated: August 4, 2006
    Published: July 2, 2006

Summary: A parody of the formula most independant!Harry stories follow. Overly friendly Goblins, Manipulative Dumbledore, a shopping trip, a will from Sirius etc...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3022004/1/

Somewhat amusing little story so far. Has a few well-known cliches parodied.

Checked by Minion, August 19, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

This was hilarious! Definitely recommended.

...the purple side...:D

3. f77

f77 Backtraced

It has some funny moments, and a good read if you're bored. I liked it!

The purple side... lol!

4. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I was just reading this on a Yahoo forum. This is fantastic. I'm still trying to figure out what F.P. stands for. Even without the over-the-top funny parts in the latter half of the chapter, the beginning of the chapter was really well done for even a normal Independent Harry fic.

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Sigh. I must say I was quite disappointed by this. When I saw the link to it and title I thought "Finally! A proper independent!Harry parody!" Sadly, this one didn't really do much for me. A few cute mocking moments and a not annoying little Harry/Luna romance veiled within. But for the most part, I'm disappointed.

I've had a small plan for a good old fashioned Indy!Harry parody that I just keep putting off for several months now, thinking someone's going to do one right so that I won't have to. It was the brainstorming and planning when I was writing Dimension Hopping that sparked it. People suggested mocking the letters Harry always receives from his parents and Sirius beyond the grave. I knew that couldn't really work into Dimension Hopping, since A.K. only shows up and mocks when it's near time to toast Voldie. Not when Harry's sneaking out for a shopping trip.

A "moody youth trunk" cracked me up, mainly for the double meaning of a "Moody/moody" in describing the trunk. But for the most part this seems too rushed and uninspired. Maybe because I've had so many ideas for one, that I expected too much.

But when the entire sections and conversations are all dialogue, it just feels like they're not putting in any effort. By that I mean when you see nothing but:

".... Harry"

"I know Luna,...."

"...."

"...."

Where they mention the names in dialogue and never once describe anything going on. It can work in the right spots, but not over and over and over again. Sigh. Oh well. Maybe it'll get better. Probably a more enjoyable read for those who haven't brainstormed ideas for an Indy parody.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Thus the "somewhat amusing" bit. I do agree though, the moody trunk was a great double-meaning tha I found hilarious.

7. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

It was entertaining. But I didn't have to worry about busting out laughing. Very enjoyable though.

8. Lord Ravenclaw

The latest chapter was amusing...not gut-wrenching laughter, but amusing nonetheless. Seemed a bit forced in areas.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

This part got a laugh out of me

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I like this story, even though it's not a parody. The first chapter started off as one, but the author then went off and did the whole time-travel thing, making what was supposed to be an overclished parody rather original in its own right.

Unfortunately, I don't like where he's taking it now. 40 year old Harry pretending to be student for the fun of it seems kinda childish... The whole way to move everything to Hogwarts was rather forced, actually. Also, lact of real plot now that the time-travels are over, is a bit of a problem too.

11. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

The ending was somewhat of a let down. It felt as though the author really just wanted to start it off as a Parody but didn't know where to take it so he just finished it off as quickly as he could - which may of been the case. Both the Freak Parade and crazy!Luna and crazy!Harry had so much potential that just went flat.

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Ending was a let down, but at least it ended. Somewhat amusing, but it doesn't hold a candle to other humor/parody stories.

13. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

I didn't like the story.
    I was planning writing a parody of Indie!Harry myself where Harry is thinking that Dumbledore manipulates him while it isn't true at all.

14. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Thanks for reading. Wish I could please everyone but I can't even try for half.

15. Acelin

Acelin First Year

Hmm, Don't want to be accused of necroing topics or anything, but I had to express my the sheer hilarity of this fic. I decided to also join the "Purple Side"

16. Photon

Photon Order Member

Unfortunately for me it was unfunny story with time-travel in the worst version ("we must protect original timeline"). Characters were not funny, original or with original personalities. 1/5 for me.

EDIT: OK, time-travel was not in the lame version, my mistake and misunderstanding - but it still is unfunny story that was supposed to be funny.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Actually, it was quite the opposite--they abused the fact that Time Turners can't affect the future to ensure that things would play out okay. I found it a reasonably competent play on the premise and (at least to me) had a few moments of decent humor. Screwing with Hermione is always good fun. 3/5

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  18. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Back then it was quite original. Holy macaroni, it was 7 years ago. Also agreed with Pers.

3/5