1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Rig by Joe Ducie

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, May 6, 2013.

1. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck it. Finally signed up to Goodreads.

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Same. I added a handful of peeps from DLP as friends [and all kinds of peeps from my past apparently have Goodreads accounts now]. Is there a DLP masterlist somewhere?

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Try this: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/65817-dark-lord-potter

I actually have two goodreads accounts it seems. I made one ages ago to join the DLP group for recs but after I started writing I made another one, interesting.

---------- Post automerged at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Planning to read it as soon as I finish The City and the city (this weekend probably). Where all do you want/need reviews? Assuming if we have something critical to say it'd be best here (if you even care about that), but I'll happily leave positive reviews on Amazon, etc.

yak
  4. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Anyone so inclined to review should embrace such inclination and plaster their review far and wide! Amazon and goodreads just to say the least.

I'm not encouraging such behaviour if you don't like the story, but yeah I'd love me some critique here on the thread or in an email/PM!

Of course the story is flawless so I'm not expecting any such nonsense.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

1/10, no wind chakras to be seen anywhere. If a 12 year old can get it right in a Narito fanfic I expect you to be able to too, Joe.

Oz is disappoint.

Was that constructive enough, eh?

6. Joe

High Score:
    Oh, you expect too much, Ozington.

So the ebook is a day or two away, they tell me, but you can buy badass paperback copies now:

http://www.amazon.com/Rig-Joe-Ducie/dp/1471402193/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Rig-Joe-Ducie/dp/1471402193/

http://www.bookdepository.com/Rig-Joe-Ducie/9781471402197 (free postage!)

yak, Oz
  7. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Joe what is the word on a kindle edition?

Seems like the book is suffering from the lack of one.

8. Joe

High Score:
    Undetermined at this stage! Shouldn't be too far out.

9. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I've finally sat down to write a shortish review here, even if I read it at least a week ago. I think it was a week ago. I'll try to keep the spoilers vague-ish, but they do spoil some stuff, so feel free to skim this if you haven't read or written the book.

At first, and I say this in a mostly neutral way - it didn't seem much like Joe's style - from what I've read (which doesn't encompass everything, but...). There were a few drops of exposition that drew my eyebrow upwards - put in a way that felt like an info dump, but otherwise fine.

Then, I read the second chapter, and from there it was a book I didn't put back until I finished it back to back- it drew me in in the right ways, and I read through the rest in the fast pace, looking for the way of escape, same as the main character - trying to pierce it together.

It was all very exciting - including the magnet-key. And then, I found the Joe's style that I remember - introducing bigger stakes and supernatural.

My opinion on that front is mixed. I enjoyed it as it was written - and the finale was something like I expected it to be since the second I read about the blue rocks.

On the other hand, I feel that I would have enjoyed a good old outsmarting of the opposition - in a roundabout way, and not clashing in direct battle - proving that the background of those escapes was the mark of a brilliant schemer, and not an opportunist thinker.

All in all, it was a pleasant experience that left me wanting to read more - and very satisfied with buying this book. Rock on, Joe.

That's probably it for the day.

Joe
  10. Ched

Hmmm...

To buy the paperback or to wait for the Nook version? THAT is the question.

11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

12. Ched

Actually, I want a damn signed copy. Joe, how do I make this happen?

13. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

You must travel, my friend. You must travel far beyond the borders of your country and into a land unknown, full of danger and mystery. Keep your wits about you, for even the smallest critter may bring about your demise.

And remember not to exchange currencies in the airport. That sucks, too.

14. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Just got the book in the mail earlier this afternoon; Spent the last few hours reading it, and honestly speaking, I agree with Nauro. Having read Joe's previous works, the ending was really just as expected, once the rocks were exposed (and earlier, what with the red eyes and all). Fact is, I enjoyed the bit about the magnetic locks. For a while, there, it actually felt like there might not be too much supernatural going on.

Other thing is, for some reason, the book really feels more like a prequel to me, though I can't quite put my finger on why. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and looking forward to more.

15. Joe

High Score:
    Pretty well. Been averaging 4.5 on the reviews, so that's always a good indication. Was in London last week discussing the follow-ups. Basically they want me to keep writing Will Drake adventures until I run out of steam.

Heh, I don't think they realised they were talking to the chap that wrote 1,000,000+ word fanfiction on a whim. They want Will Drake, they're going to get Will Drake.

Oh, PM me and will discuss options!

It is the first in a planned series of adventures, some of which will take place BEFORE this actual story. I wrote The Rig with that in mind.

Oz, Ched
  16. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Ok.. seems like I am the only one who didn´t love this book. :-(

I never really managed to connect with Will Drake, too cold, too young and not enough of that dry wit that makes you characters so great, and was disappointed at how much of the escape was based on luck instead of previous planning/cunning.
    The whole supernatural element was also something I could have done without. It was well done but I think that the story would have worked well without it.

It is a good book but it feels like a teenager book to me and I am mostly over that phase.

I would give it 3/5

17. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Why are you even reading YA then?

18. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, this was pretty blatantly marketed as a YA book. Don't knock points off because you read a book in a genre you're 'over'.

PS. Is there an ebook version yet?

19. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Because it was from Joe, I liked his previous books and thought I would give it a try?

20. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The kindle version is on Amazon. I got it today and read it all in one sitting. Absolutely loved it.