1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I think we could really use a general thread were we can discuss games/ideas that don´t deserve they own thread.
    The mange one is really useful and I hope that this will develop into something similar.

I would like to begin this with a small Review about a new RPG I played this week.

Demonicon

This is a dark and adult Action RPG that sadly feels like it comes 5 years too late. It is very similar to both Gothic 2 and The Witcher (1) in both graphic and style. (I also think that those both games are a bit better but that could be pure nostalgia).

Pros: - an interesting setting
    - nice dialogues
    - an entertaining plot/storytelling
    - no gamebreaking bugs or similar things
    - and very interesting interaction between the two main characters

Contra: - outdated graphic
    - can be confusing at the beginning
    - "dead" world (not many NPC/things you can interact with or
    similar things)
    - ending is very standard (and I also miss a slide-show that
    explains the con sequences of my choices)

6/10

If you don´t feel really nostalgic and want to relieve you childhood I would suggest waiting for a polished Version and buying it on a sale for ~ 10-15€

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Didn't feel the need to start a thread for this.

Lightning Returns trailer with Fang.

Fang and Sazh were the only two characters I actually liked in FF13/13-2, so that's good news.

On the other hand... if Fang is decrystallized.... so is Vanille.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

3. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

4. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Actually there's something I've wanted to ask for awhile but keep forgetting.

How can you make a good engrossing game that doesn't have any violence or very little violence work? Like how would you make a game like the Elder scrolls where instead of running around killing things, you're working to build a bank or become a prominent merchant or work yourself into the emperor's royal court.

Is it possible to do this and if it is how would it be approached?

5. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Is there really violence, on the scale that you are speaking of, in a Civilization game, or most turn-based strategy games for that matter. Those games can certainly be considering 'engrossing' by those that play them.

Most space games are simply on far too large of a scale to depict 'violence' in any remotely personal way. That being said, it is much easier to perform genocides of entire races of beings and empires, destroy planets, and other conceptually horrific acts of violence that are easy to write off as a player as actually being violent due to their unrealistic nature of personal possibility.

Or even puzzle games, and other 'miscellaneous' category games, that can grab the attention for hours on end at times.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

There needs to be an HP rpg made. I want it to have choice trees, such as in Mass Effect one,and I want there to be alternate endings for each path, or even better, loads of different quests for whatever path you chose. I want you to be able to be a good little wizard and conquer the wizarding world and rule through fear, or be the darkest of dark but still do the right thing and defeat Voldemort.

I want there to still be seven years, but mostly just for main quest progression. I don't care if you can make your own character, or if you have to play as Harry. You should have the option to be able to just do the main quests (like canon Harry), or you can do a bunch of side quests (for lore nerds like Taure) and gain stats, new spells, etc. These quests would be like going to class, but would be standard rpg stuff (collect X blahs, talk to Y about blah, solve this puzzle, do this person a favor).

There should be a normal XP system. Hogwarts is a large place, and a large amount of the castle is unused. You should be able to go to the second floor corridor and fight giant rats as a first year, or go into the forbidden forest as a 6th year and fight some accromantulas (and be able to defeat them, which he can't do as a second year).

Obviously the first boss would be the Troll in year 1. Ron and Hermione would have health bars, and you have to defeat the troll before they get 'killed', and without getting killed yourself. If you do a trick, or time something properly, you would get the cutscene of ron levitating the troll's club and knocking it out.

Quirrell would probably have a set of platforming type puzzle before him. I can't see actually having to beat an AI at chess, and the potions would be a potions riddle that is either very easy or very hard depending on what sidequests you did before. Doing quests for Snape (the equivalent of going to class) would raise your potions skill or something. Whether or not the troll is knocked out would depend on another event, otherwise you have to fight it for real this time (though I supposed technically you could just do the same thing again). Quirrell would be a matter of dodging all of his attacks which would stun your or KO you instantly. It's an issue of timing, like Gwyn in Dark Souls (though not as hard). Perhaps if you chose the 'dark' path, there's an alternate way to beat him that doesn't involve fighting.

I'm not sure how the summer would work. Perhaps a few quests, or maybe just a cutscene as a reward for finishing the year.

Oh, and I think an item system could work as well. Perhaps different types of wands will boost different types of spells. Like if you have ten item points on the wand, more are put towards transfiguration if your want is yew (+3 points) and dragon heartstring (-1 points) Most wands all have ten points or whatever, but you can find rare wands that will have more, such as the Elder Wand (obviously) but there could be other wands, probably all famous in some way. Perhaps there's also a series of quest that you can do to sanctify Rowena's Diadem so it doesn't get destroyed, then you can wear it and greatly increase your intelligence stats. Enchanted robes isn't out of the question either (sheild hats and cloaks are canon).

As for the actual spell system, I'm unsure. I can see it a few different ways. You can have the button combo style such as " < ^ > A B " to perform the blasting hex. Or you can have a mana system where spells like diffindo don't cost that much, and the patronus uses up a whole ton (and there would be ways to increase your mana of course), and this would use the hotkey style system, or radial selection.

Using certain branches of spells increase proficiency in them. Whether that means unlocking new spells, or being able to alter spells you already know (like in diablo 3), or increasing power/decreasing cast time, unlocking special quests, or whatever. Perhaps if you get all your branches up to X percent, you unlock the ability to train with Dumbledore.

Potions would be fairly obvious, I think. It's been done in another games before (TES for example). Different combinations of ingredients do different things.

Romance should be possible, and there would be rewards such as +stats or a special item depending on who your dating. Can't actually be too graphic since they're underage for the majority of their time at hogwarts. You would be able to do canon-compliant ones, such as Parvati Patil, and perhaps if you see it through a certain amount of time, you unlock something (chastity belt joke obviously). Most of the Canon choices will have preset items, but other random people would probably just be generic/randomized items. Obviously there would be a fan service achievement of ten points for Daphne Greengrass. Obviously.

I'm on the fence whether or not it should end after book 7. By all means, it doesn't have to. I'd love to be able to become an Hitwizard and go around collecting bounties, or become a crook, and have to dodge Aurors and stuff because you're wanted. I guess this would be the 'End Game' since all there is left to do is DLC dungeons or whatever, level up professions, learn more magic. Perhaps you can buy buildings like in Fable, and you can make money off them. There could be a pvp system, since dueling is a thing.

Also, quidditch. Personally I don't care about it, and I feel like doing it justice would be a game in of itself (which it has been before), but modern mmorpgs can have a lot of different elements to them, and while I don't see some sort of franchising system where you can make your own teams and chose players with different stats and the like, I can see there being something.

Anyways, that's just a few ideas off the top of my head. This game would be awesome, as long as it's not made by EA, which it probably inevitably would be.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Just started playing Deus Ex for the first time.

I may or may not worldbuild a crossover featuring Red Faction, System Shock, Half-Life, Fallout, Deus Ex and other 'old school' sci-fi games.

8. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

So basically, you want to play The Sims?

9. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

To be fair, you can do some pretty violent stuff in The Sims, too :p.

10. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Fallout 4 confirmed?

Nothing actually confirmed, It could be anything really.
    That doesn't stop me from being way to EXCITED!

11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well that font, that logo, the nuclear reference and the date all point to Fallout. If it isn't then someone's getting way too close for comfort.

FO4 will be made by Bethesda though. Maybe it'll be better than Fallout 3 (or maybe worse), but it probably won't reach the level of New Vegas. I'm still interested in seeing how they'll use the stuff they developed for Skyrim in it.

12. Quick Ben

So what do you guys feel about the Witcher 3 not coming out on the 360 and PS4? Especially for the guys who can't afford those consoles for now and don't have a PC.

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

There's a dedicated Witcher thread, but to answer your question: I'm fine with it. I know I already have a PS4 so my perspective is probably a little skewed, but frankly games have been increasing in complexity for years. A decent chunk of recent multiplatform titles (like Saint's Row 4 and Far Cry 3) barely even run on the old consoles. I can't imagine how poorly a game like the Witcher 3 would run on them.

Plus, the game might not even get released until very late next year, and games - especially third party games - do tend to abandon the previous gen of consoles very quickly. Not every developer is like Atlus.

14. Quick Ben

Still feels like they're alienating some of their fans(if I didn't have a pc I would have had to wait a long time before I ever got the new consoles) hope other developers will at least give people a chance to afford the consoles.

Anyway. If you could pick any IP original or currently existing and offer it to any developer to build it, what would you pick and who would you give it to.

I would give CDPR a Malazan IP. I think they would do it and the world justice and like Mike Pondsmith the author is open to a game but just hasn't been made an offer he likes(although he did say he would like it to be like an FPS which is just weird)

15. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I played through Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate recently. It's a pretty bad game. What a disappointment that was (even if I knew in advance it was bad thanks to reviews and the like.)

16. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is mass effect worth playing? I've read an increasing number of crossovers with it but I've never played it. Not sure if it is worth the effort to pay through the games or just read the summaries.

17. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  18. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Yep, it's fake. Man I'm disappointed. :(

Oh well.

19. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The first one is one of the best games ever made. The second two, not so much.

20. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't agree, all three of those games are effing fantastic, barring a couple very blaring errors that, while significant, don't change the fact that they're still incredible games.

My favorite of the series is #2, personally, though #3 had some really incredible moments that are unforgettable, and still great combat and story until one blaring part.

#1 is a fantastic game, but I found the leveling/powers/combat interface to be clunky, personally.

The entire Mass Effect series IS worth playing at least once, and I'd recommend looking for a spoiler-free guide/tips on how to get the most out of your playthrough if you're only ever going to play it once.

P.S. Go VANGUARD. Vanguard OP. Vanguard is Love, Vanguard is Life.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
Not open for further replies.