1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Link The Lost Son of Krypton by SurrealDeceptions - M - HP!Various

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jeram, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The Lost Son of Krypton
    Author: SurrealDeceptions
    Rating: M
    Genre: Crossover (Drama/Romance)
    Pairing: Harry/Chloe, Harry/Rogue
    Summary: After accidentally killing his guardians, Harry soon finds himself on a path to freedom and a heritage that's literally out of this world. HP/Smallville/X-Men crossover. (not the X-men movie - and the Smallville elements are also loosely general Superman canon so far).
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2917811/1/

A fascinating story idea, with both annoying and interesting elements. Harry's desire to stop using magic is, quite frankly, a terrible idea, but the flaming of the Burrow? Nice touch. Harry's growth into a kickass monster is pretty okay, although some of the contrivances grate a bit on the nerves. As it stands, I shall give a tentative 3 out of 5, which is good enough to post for review - but not necessarily for inclusion in the library.

There are some unrealistic characterizations, but then again, he IS wearing the Red kryptonite pendant, which in the Smallville show (if I remember correctly) doesn't cause apathy, but an odd kind of badassness.

-J

Edit by Minion, Dec. 9, 2012
    Dead link is dead. If you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  2. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

It was a very good read. It's interesting the way Harry acts. Especially around Rouge... The idea that Harry would stop using magic is unrealistic and sux donkey nuts in my opnion. It would have been more interesting to see a magic welding Superman type... May be not as physically strong as his twin but more magically powerful.

3.5/5

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  3. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

4. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

It was good though I agree on the magic part except the fact that how exactly would he use his magic? It's not like he knows wandless or anything and his wands back in England where he definitely can't go.

I so have a bad feeling about that amulet, can anyone imagine a major angst fest if he ever takes it off. If he doesn't then its a pretty weak plot tool just to change Harry's character.

3.5/5

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

This looks painful. Harry Potter/Smallville? Wow...

I will attempt to read this though, and pass judgement at a later date.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

My issue with this fic is that Harry doesn't really seem to have much of a weakness and his character is unevenly portrayed. For instance he gets all emo over one girl dying, but doesn't give a flying fuck about a bunch of other deaths.

7. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I take it no one has realized what the amulet actually is?

Its red kryptonite and from what I found about it in Smallville it causes Clark to become "rebellious, unpredictable, and acting on purely on erotic and selfish emotions." As stated in a wikipedia article. Which is basically what Harry is experiencing.

Also, it is not actually his mother's heirloom, but something that Magneto, or whoever is pulling the strings, planted to begin his subtle manipulations. Just as the "seer" was actually Mystique prodding Harry towards Xavier's school, either to get his and their measure or to create an inevitable confrontation.

I will also predict that somewhere along the line Magneto and Harry will meet, where upon Harry will rebel as would be characteristic of him under the influence of the red kryptonite and Magneto will then bust out some green kryptonite to either force obedience or an attempt to kill him. Where he is eventually saved by someone, most likely Rogue.

Once that is over and the moral dampening rock is removed, Harry will find Clark, return to Hogwarts, and use a combination of his powers and his magic to defeat Voldemort.

It isn't a cliche but it is predictable.

8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

and if your wrong? can we all laugh at you?

9. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

I will.

On topic, I liked this story but it when they started the mutant thing... eh.
    I was more looking forward to a Clark/Harry superman battle with Harry using magic as an advange.

Or Harry getting the red kryptonite on Clark and then them both demolishing Hogwarts or somtheing.

10. Necrule Paen

Well it depends on which part you are talking about. If you are talking about the seer actually being Mystique and Magneto using Harry then there is nothing to laugh at because it is already stated as true in chapter 2.
    First thing I would like to point out is that the seer has been imprisoned for nearly a year, but Harry has supposedly been in contact with her twice within the last week or so. Not only that but the two things that the "seer" pushed Harry into doing were the two things Mystique stated as being according to the plan. Now it is never explicitly stated that it was Mystique masquerading as the seer, but it is the obvious conclusion considering her abilities.

Now I admit Magneto has not been implicated in this yet, but Mystique is rarely around without him and he is mentioned too many times not to make an appearance. It is possible she is doing this independently of him

I don't know who this new partner she has, although I am leaning towards someone from the Smallville series because that would explain how they found out about him and Smallville has been underrepresented besides Harry in this fic, but that is purely a guess.

Another minor point is the mentioning about having trouble controlling Harry later in her plot, whether green kryptonite is what they use to try and control him or if it used when that fails I can't be sure but the author has made Harry too powerful for it not to make an appearance. The rest of my prediction may not turn out as I have laid it out but I believe I got the general gist of what will happen.

Now as to what you were probably talking about, the amulet.

For one thing, it is clear that the amulet is causing his callous attitude and bravado from the instances he puts it on and off.

Second that it has been already checked for enchantments used in HP.

Third that the author has made a point of showing Harry's resistance to mental persuasions from magic in HP and mental abilities from X-men.

Fourth, the author has made a point of showing that skin contact with the red stone in the amulet causes the changes.

And last that red kryptonite matches the description and affects of that red stone.

You may laugh if you want if I am found incorrect, but know that my assertions are well backed by evidence and logic.

11. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I was mainly talking about this guess work.

I admit that you observation of what had already happened were very good, even higher than mine, I was stupid enough to believe that the red stone was from his parents, but now that you mention Kryptonite and the way Harry has been acting, I feel stupid.

I kind of figured that the seer was Mystique after the scene with her in the prison, for the author pretty much gave that away.

so, I was talking about what you were saying was going to happen, and if I can laugh at you for your quick assumptions with the story plot.

In no way am I degrading your ideas, for your first couple were very observant, I just don't think that you should guess what is going to happen until we recieve a couple more chapters.

12. Necrule Paen

Oh that? Feel free, I am fully aware that the mysterious partner can completely screw up my prediction and would welcome it if he did. I would rather Harry left the wizarding world to rot.

But why not guess now? I try to guess as soon as possible and I revise it when new information is presented, thats what is so engaging about mysteries and what I liked about the first books.

As for the fic itself, it is good. I would have never even clicked on a HP/X-men/Smallville fic if it was not recommended here, but this is actually well written and I believe deserves to be in the library.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like it, though that may just be because I love Smallville. It could do without the X-Men and Buffy part though. Too many crossovers tend to make a story silly.

3.5 / 5

14. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Alright guys, I had pmed the author inviting him to the forums, but apparantly, he was banned some time ago for reasons I am not aware of. He did ask me to post this though, a little information about the story.

Well, I am pretty sure that takes care of the misconception of Harry never using magic ever again and a few other things that I was worried about myself.

15. Wasteland

Wasteland Second Year

I'm quite suprised that I actually like this story. I like how its written as well as the story line, except I don't like the way at the moment Harry could in fact be anyway. If you started a story and didn't make it a HP crossover if you called him bob no one would notice the difference. I think for this story to be more realistic he needs to be slightly more harryish.

Also I want to see him get it on with rouge :D

16. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Just curious, but does anyone know what happened to this story? It's gone, as is the author. I kind of liked it.

17. Boo

Boo Auror

I think the author took it done to fix it up.
    said he didnt like the way it looked.(i think)