1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Morphosis by NonSequtur - M - Worm/Sandman

Discussion in 'Worm' started by Aekiel, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Morphosis
    Author: NonSequtur
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action
    Fandom: Worm/Sandman Fusion
    Pairings: None
    Summary: N/A
    Updated: June 2014

Link: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/morphosis-a-worm-sandman-fusion.291136/
    Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/1361893/chapters/2844076

So I've been trawling through the Spacebattles forums for Worm fics, since they're being pumped out at a ridiculous rate. This is the best of them so far.

The premise is yet another Taylor-With-Different-Powers fic, this time one where she gains the powers of Dream from the Sandman graphic novels. The writing is technically sound, if a bit rough in places, but more importantly it feels the same way Neil Gaiman's stories do including the vaguely 'mythic' tone that Sandman has.

It's also well paced, doesn't follow canon in the slightest and has a well scaled level of conflict for someone who is learning how to be one of the Endless. She starts off scaring the shit out of the PRT and it just goes up from there.

This is a full fusion too, with creatures like the Corinthian showing up (with an appropriate Worm-verse twist) and interacting with various canon characters from Worm. I'll let you guess who they are.

All in all this is one of those fics that I've been following religiously since I picked it up. The update rate helps in that regard. The author gets a new chapter up every couple of days, mostly without fail. So...

5/5 would read again.

Checked by Minion, October 1, 2015
    Added the AO3 link.
    The last update is 15 months old, thus I labelled the story as abandoned.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
  2. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Sounds intriguing, is Sandman required reading?

3. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The way you word it is wrong. Taylor doesn't gain the powers of Dream, she is becoming Dream, and it's implied that something really bad happened that wiped out all of the endless except Death, who the author said is both better and worse off than her siblings.

As one guy posted on the forum...

The moment Taylor puts on the helmet she stops being Taylor as Dream and becomes Dream as Taylor.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not really, but it helps. Taylor's powers are explained well enough that I don't think you should have problems with them and the Sandman characters that show up get their own intros that give you a good idea of their personality and such.

I would suggest reading them though. They're very good.

---------- Post automerged at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Didn't want to give too much away. :p

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I've never read Sandman and I'm able to follow it all just fine. It really is quite well done.

6. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Thank you :)

7. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Is Worm required reading? I've seen fanfiction about it a lot on DLP lately, and don't really know what it is. Is the original source worth reading? Or should I just jump into the fanfiction?

8. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Required or not, you should read Worm.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I wouldn't read it without reading Worm first.

Fic is very, very good, and supposedly the author's first piece of writing which is hella impressive. 4/5

10. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

I know basically nothing about Sandman and have only occasionally been confused about what was going on. If you suspect you've missed something significant just read the thread after the update and there's a very good chance someone will have asked about it and had it explained.

11. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm a fan of Sandman and I love this fic. The author gets the Dream mythos better than I ever did - it feels like Sandman.

5/5

12. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

I like most of what's written of this, but the second arc where
    Taylor just goes through dreams and solves everyone's problems annoys me.
    It was all done far too easily. That makes it a 4/5.

13. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

I've never read Sandman and I found some parts of this mildly confusing. The setting overall feels a little disjointed after the first arc; it may have been just me but the apparent skips in time didn't read right.

Other than that I've enjoyed this immensely and it seems like the update schedule is pretty regular. 4/5

14. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah the skips made for a bit of a disjointed reading. The writing and plot is very good, considering no beta and no previous works.

The only thing that I want would be some more character interaction and maybe her getting a companion/Sophia a bit earlier in the story.
    (And some Interludes of how the rest of the world deals with her... but that is a guilty pleasure of mine. I like reading about how powerful "my" character is in that type of stories^^.)

15. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Aekiel: Can you fix the url. It's not fun copying and pasting text in a mobile.

16. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Here is a link to the archive of our own location of the story, I find it much easier to navigate, and the starting chapters are already there.

17. UVgamma

UVgamma Squib

Like most Worm Fanfics, it starts getting weird after the first plot arc/introduction is finished.

Otherwise, it's a pretty good read.

Rym
  18. Charlesnaismith

Charlesnaismith First Year

It's awesome. Two fandoms I really enjoy and the writing fits both. I would like it if there was some more interaction with the full cast of Worm.

Where can it go from the last chapter though I am not sure.

5/5

19. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't been exposed to Sandman at all and the first chapter really put me off with things like
    Something was just a bit odd, but I decided to give it two or three chapters since a few people on DLP said it was decent. Little did I know that it has probably become one of my top five worm fics, if not top 3.

4.5/5, rounding up to a 5/5.

20. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

It's well written, and unique in concept when it comes to "Taylor getting different powers", but really not seeing the love people have for this.

There's a big lack of characters. Despite Taylor going around fixing people's problems, no one really stays around for long enough for her to actually interact with anyone. The start was interesting, but now that we're into the plot I really have no compelling drive to see where it goes.

Her accidentally and horribly fucking over Sophie was interesting, but her bringing on Ghost!Sophie along for the ride was terrible. I do like Sophie/Taylor interactions, but not like that.
    Even if I really liked it, I don't think this is anything more than another guilty pleasure, over powered Taylor fic - well written or not. 3/5.