1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best Of: Other Fandoms

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Otters, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Christ, whenever I rediscover that I just read it all over again and get disappointed that it will never be continued. It's got one of the best relationships between Harry and Bellatrix in all fanfics that I've encountered so far. Well that and "Only Enemies". Too many of them try to make her some kind of a victim, I have no idea why.

2. halfwaydecent

halfwaydecent Fourth Year

I would say that if we decide to find a best HP story it should probably be in another thread. Trying to do so in this thread would make this thread get bogged down like crazy.

3. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

Best SI? Only one I've ever read is dreaming of sunshine.

4. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

This seems to be great, though I'm only on chapter 66 right now:

Vapors
    By: ElectraSev5n
    This ninja business? It isn't for the faint of heart. Luckily Aiko is far from faint, even if she did get stuck with a ridiculously girly name. SI, OC, whatever you want to call it. Rating is for language.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure/Humor - Kakashi H., OC - Chapters: 103 - Words: 670,658 - Reviews: 3,797 - Favs: 1,576 - Follows: 1,309 - Updated: Jul 21 - Published: Nov 18, 2013 - Status: Complete - id: 9855872

5. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Vapors is excellent, but I'd give the prize to Dreaming of Sunshine.

Also, dat ending >.<

6. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Approx. fifty. A little bit under.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming.

My masterlist has almost hit 100, but I'm hoping to at least double that before I pare it down into the final list. We want some of the best hundred, after all, not the first hundred we could think of.

7. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

From Harvest to the Ark is definitely my favourite Halo fic. Follows a marine from the very beginning of the war to the end, and it's pretty good quality throughout the whole 400k words.

Other than that I can't think of any thing particularly definitive that hasn't already been listed. For Dresden Files I think I'd probably have to go with Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage, but it's been a while since I've read through most of the best Dresden fics.

8. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

Vapors has its moments. It started really great, with much promise and then slowed down and got angsty. It drags, it loses focus, it jumps around with the whole plot and POV changes are jarring and at moments done just to fuck around with a reader. And I felt that at times we're missing a sentence or a short paragraph.

I would love it if it focused only on Kakashi Aiko student-teacher relationship unfortunately the author wanted her Team 7 and got it.

If Naruto SI then either dreaming of Sunshine or Reincarnation Roulette. Vapors is a distant third.

And the last chapter.... -_-

9. melior

melior Seventh Year

Haven't hit DBZ yet, so here's a recent thread with some recommendations:

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=26692

I haven't read enough to nominate one, though. Actually, that probably goes for every fandom, but I'll still throw this one out there:

My Own Kind of Freedom by Steven Brust

Firefly fanfiction by a professional novelist. Been a while since I read it, but it's written so well that it doesn't even feel like fanfiction. IIRC Brust tried to sell it as an official novel, but it was rejected because the show was cancelled.

And if you start counting HP/other fandom crossovers, nonjon's Brown Coat, Green Eyes is awesome fun.

10. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Deja Vu no Jutsu for third is my vote...

11. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

Doing one for HP would be nigh impossible, due to the sheer variety of excellent ones here on DLP and the few outside. It might be easier categorizing them as best in which genre (Action, Mystery, Horror, Drama, Romance, etc) or character portrayals (Harry, Dumbledore, Voldemort, etc).

12. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

Before this thread goes full Harry Potter (maybe there should be a separate thread?) I thought I would get this in - the best Rurouni Kenshin fanfic:

Title: An Unexpected Lesson
    Author: Conspirator | Rating: K+ | Genre: Drama/Angst | Status: Complete at 116k | Pairings: none
    Summary: Three years after the end of the Bakumatsu, a chance encounter with a kabuki troupe teaches Kenshin an unexpected lesson in survival.

This is a touching, interesting and well-told story featuring Kenshin and a cast of properly written OCs. It's set before the main series but after the flash-back period, and Kenshin's character development is central to the story, which is canon-compliant.

A lot of historical research has clearly gone into the story, which is shared naturally rather than dumped on the reader. Even with Kenshin in it, this is almost entirely believable historical fiction.

I'd recommend it especially to anyone who has read or watched Kenshin, but even if not, if you're interested in history it's worth a read.

Just a really excellent fanfic.

13. draykfyre

draykfyre Second Year DLP Supporter

Uh, this thread isn't even the correct place for HP fanfic best of posts. Hence the "Other Fandoms" in the title. And it's in the Other Fandoms (as in non HP) section of the forum.

On topic:

Best of Star Wars:

Son of Suns trilogy, by blank101.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4302076/1/Into-the-Storm

14. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Where are we as far as Teen Titans / Young Justice?

15. fire

fire Order Member

I submit:

Game of Champions, by Lamora [Pokémon]
    Cenotaph, by Notes [Worm]
    Hammered Down, by Tomas the Betrayer [Bleach]
    Gentleman of Weapons, by Menamebephil [Avatar]
    Daybreak, by DigitalTart [Naruto], though there's not much between it and Dreaming of Sunshine, by Silver Queen, and Girl From Whirlpool, by SilverShine
    Operation: There Is No Operation, by Karkadinn [Codename: Kids Next Door]
    Ephemeral, by Sarsparilla [Suzumiya Haruhi]

And for what it's worth, I seriously disagree that Victory at Ostagar is a good fic - let alone worthy of being the best in the fandom.

I found VaO unreadable, despite forcing myself, and this was after I had finished playing Origins and was on a Dragon Age high. I really tried, because it's in the DLP Library and was supposed to be fanfuckingtastic.

It wasn't. The prose was flat - but even worse, it just read like a SI. I think I said something similar in the ASOIAF thread, but I think writing requires a kind of objectivity and detachment from your characters, or you won't be able to write fully fledged characters, or a plot that makes sense, let alone portray important shit like love and relationships in a way that isn't childish.

In fact, I was so disappointed by what I was reading that it actually motivated me to start writing my own DAO fic.

16. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Glad I wasn't alone in that - I threw it back on my to-read list after seeing it mentioned here again and in light of its DLP rating, but I remember not liking it the first time around.

17. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Can't really see where you guys are coming from, tbh, at all. It just feels strange.

18. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

*shrug* It was a long time ago, I'll give it another shot. Like I said, I don't remember what made me turn away.

19. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Probably because the beginning isnt... entirely all that interesting. I've read Victory at Ostagar but... well it didnt hold my interest long enough to keep following it. So there's that experience.

20. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

Yeah, I can understand that. The beginning in Ostagar is a bit slow. The Circle Tower is more interesting and stuff begins to really happen when the heroes get to Orzammar. But the really interesting thing - politics - start around chapter 26 or so.

VaO isn't about the action and it's slow-building.