1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New and Almost Recommended Harry Potter Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Sep 20, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

New and Almost Recommended
    Harry Potter Fanfiction

Other Almost Recommended Fanfiction threads:
    Harry Potter: I | II | III | IV | V | VI | Submission Archives
    Other Fandom: I | Submission Archives

Vash once posted a set of rules for these threads which caused the library review boards to almost dry out, because it sounded as if almost everything should be posted here.

Thus:

Some words about what (not) to post here
    and what's better be submitted for review

"Almost Recommended" board and thread are supposed to work as a combination like "Story Searches":
    • If you consider the story you want to submit at least almost recommendable (rated about 3/5 or three stars), submit it for review and start a thread in the Review Board.
    • Post the story in this thread if you think it doesn't deserve its own thread: Either because it's too short to be judged, or if it is so bad it's likely to end in the Trash Bin.
    • Don't hesitate to submit something for review, even if it already was mentioned in this thread. It's way easier to follow the progress and discussion of a story within its own review thread than in here.
    • Please don't use this thread just because it's more convenient to post something in here instead of starting your own thread.
    • Not to be posted here is utter crap. As in 'Worst of'. Something like 'My Immortal' or similar. For that we have our 'Worst of' threads.

Oh, and....

If any story you posted in here is received well or developed further, etc...:
    Don't hesitate to repost it on the Review Board!

I'll hand out warnings and more if someone dares to flame you for it.
    Except, of course, your shit really is crap.

If there are further questions, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly (albeit sometimes deadly) staffers.

Also, lets try to keep things clean and easy to follow, for your fellow citizens of planet DLP. Keep to the following format:

Title: [Example]
    Author: [Example]
    Pairing: [Someone]/[His Hand] (If applicable.)
    Rating: [NC-17] (Go away, kiddies. D: )
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2153630/1/
    Story Summary: (If provided on relevant site. If not, please provide one to the best of your ability.

[Insert your comments here. Lets try to give it more sustenance that "LOLOL SO FAIL CHECK IT OUT GUIZES! 8D"]​

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Oh, yeah, as tradtion dictates: The last post worth mentioning of the last thread:

Second last post worth mentioning:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    By: The Carnivorous Muffin
    Having spent over fifty years as a notebook the fragment of soul who still refers to himself as Tom Riddle regains influence over the mortal plane and finds reality to be an ephemeral thing while Harry Potter, a young boy of eight, discovers that things both are and are not what they seem. AU
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Drama/Horror - Harry P., Tom R. Jr. - Chapters: 15 - Words: 75,101 - Reviews: 247 - Favs: 321 - Follows: 427 - Updated: Sep 18 - Published: Sep 21, 2013 - id: 9702269

Premise: Harry finds Tom Riddle's Diary at a muggle library when he's very young.

I like it, but I'm not sure if I would post it for review, better post it here.

4. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

I think I read the first few chapters of that but forgot to set alerts for it. Is Tom still in the Diary?

5. Andrela

No, he
    he killed Dudley and now has a body

6. PrometheusII

PrometheusII Second Year

I also like it, as well as his other currently updating stories.
    The problem is, in my opinion, that the author seems to be developing a certain style (he calls it "absurdist"), and now all his stories tend to converge a bit.
    In "October" he keeps true to this weird style all the time, as well as in "The Art of Being Sysiphos", but in this story (Androids..), I hoped that he might stay a bit more "real"... in the beginning, there was true sadness, fascination, horror to the story... now as it begins to be more and more like "October", it gets so... foggy, absurd, whatever, that one cannot really feel with the protagonists any more.. .
    But I have to read the latest update now, so maybe I'm wrong.. ;)

7. Stan

Stan Order Member

Both "Lily and the Art of Being Sisyphus" and "Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep" (From where does the author get these names?) have been mentioned in favorable light quite a few times already , and are both around 80,000 words long. I would personally put them both at 3.5/5 , the Lily one rounded up to 4 and the other one rounded down to 3.Maybe its time to put them up for review?

8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I swear to God I read, "Lilly and the Art of Being Syphilis."

Reading comprehension, I should try it sometime. ;)

9. Photon

Photon Order Member

I know the correct title and I still read it this way.

10. gbbz

gbbz Professor

I wonder whether there is any art in pushing a boulder up a hill.

11. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I didn't even realize it wasn't Syphillis until Scrubb pointed it out.

12. Stan

Stan Order Member

As fascinating as everyone's fixation with Syphilis is , perhaps it would be wise to move the discussion to the actual content of the story instead?

13. KGB

KGB Headmaster

"Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep" is the title of a Phillip K. Dick book, it's what Blade runner is based on. "The art of being..." is just a rather common title choice for a bunch of semi inspirational, pseudo instructional books.

How are his other stories by the way? October is slash so I'm kinda put off by that and the other one is a fem!harry, so not helping. But I generally like fics that are a bit more absurd. So does the style outweigh the negatives?

14. Avierh

Avierh First Year

The only thing truly off putting to me, about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, is that the author is applying a physics-like explanation to magic.

As for the the slash in October, so far there's isn't much in the way of that, besides Tom's being attracted to Harry.

The author is female btw.

15. Stan

Stan Order Member

Hmm, I have never heard of the Philip Dick book. What does it have to do with this fanfic?

The author's writing style is rather unique , so you would have to read to find out whether its your kind of fic or not .Lily is unlike any other protagonist - she commits suicide on a regular basis so that she can speak to her 'uncle' death , can perform highly complicated acts of magic (like wiping memories) even without a wand or any training, believes that magic is actually a consequence of the universe slowly falling apart, leads a double life as a drug lord called 'Lily Riddle' who may or may not be her and her life's ambition for now seems to be to torment Snape as much as possible and give 'Wizard Lenin' (i.e. The horcrux of Voldemort in her head) a physical body . Her thought processes are quite entertaining and probably the best part of the fic. You should definitely give it a go.

Android is fine - it starts off well with Harry somehow getting his hands on Riddle's diary (I forgot exactly how). Riddle proceeds to tell Harry about the wizarding world , and after gaining a body , adopts Harry under the alias of Thomas Evans. The latter chapters are quite unremarkable - there is no real sense of conflict yet. Still , a decent time waster.

On a side note - both fics give a slight manipulative Dumbledore vibe , though its nothing too absurd . Dumbledore hasn't even been introduced in the Lily fic yet , but its known that someone wants to desperately keep Lily at the Dursleys.It shouldn't affect your reading too much.

There is nothing too exciting or repulsive about October . For now , the slash is limited to Tom having a slight crush on Harry. Considering the lack of good , or even half decent WIPs at the moment ( The only good ones update once in a blue moon - Song of the trees , On the Way to Greatness , Forging the Sword , PoaDK. Although Hogwarts Battle School updates approximately once a month and is quite good) , you can give it a read as well.

16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Are you underage (less than 12 years old)?

17. Andrela

Son, I am disappointed.

18. Stan

Stan Order Member

Actually I'm 18 , thanks for asking . This book doesn't seem to be too popular in the part of the part of the world I'm from. *shrugs* Might give it a read now, I guess.

BTW , just a little something to traumatize the whole of DLP:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10414292/1/Asked-For-It

Fuck You , Potter Law.

19. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

You must have watched Blade Runner, though? It's on BBC iPlayer right now, if you can get access to that. If you havn't seen it, go watch it.

20. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I'm twice that age and, while I've heard of the book, I never bothered reading it.

Not open for further replies.