1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

An original fiction version of DLP

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Polycarp, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Polycarp

Polycarp Squib

Does anyone know of a forum that has an equivalent to the library for original fiction. I find it so easy to find the quality fics here but searching for the quality stuff in original fiction is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I have seen the small selection here but was hoping that their was a larger website for original work. Thanks to everyone in advance:)

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

If you want to read high quality original fiction, why not look for novels?

Not being sarcastic or mean here, just genuinely curious. I know there's a handful of stories posted as webfiction that are of similar quality to published works (Mother of Learning is my favorite so far, and a lot of people like Worm), but what about online original fiction makes you want to seek it out instead of books?

3. Polycarp

Polycarp Squib

I also love "Mother of Learning" its a great story. I enjoy web fiction in how it can often be original and in the WIP stories how it develops over time. I have also pretty much read myself dry in the past even our local libraries having nothing left worth reading. Their also seems to be a great deal of variety online its just trying to find the good pieces that is so difficult.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I saw the title and thought this was about an original fic about the DLP members.

I am dissapoint.

5. Ched

CheddarTrek grabbed a quick slice of pizza from the corner stand and ambled down Potter Alley towards the DLP library, eating as she went. Hopefully the new Original Fiction annex would have something decent to read today.

"Sup Ched?" asked Republic as she walked through the gigantic double doors.

"Not much. Anything decent today?" They fell into step as they walked towards the stairs.

"Read that Avatar fic yet?"

"The one with Aang and Azula and the kid? Yeah. Not bad. Was hoping for original fiction though, and don't say Worm. Everyone always suggests Worm."

Republic shrugged and didn't say anything. They split up at the top of the stairs, Republic going to sort through the new incoming fics in search of quality and CheddarTrek to the Dewey Decimal Search Engine. She picked up a portable fic searcher and plopped down at a table by Taure, who was reading one of the few existing books on Occlumency and drinking tea.

"Right then," CheddarTrek whispered to herself. "Let's find some shit to read."

6. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

CheddarTrek was startled as a man in a hooded robe stepped out of a dark, shadowy corner of the library. He looked extremely sketchy.

"Minion, stop doing that," she said, annoyed.

Minion hefted a briefcase, which was bulging at the seams. "I've got stories," he whispered. "Pretty stories, dark stories, fantastic stories, all kinds of stories."

"All of your stories end up being Snape/Harry/Giant Squid smut. Sorry, not interested."

"But... but..." he reached into the briefcase, pulling out a faded, yellow piece of parchment. "This one has a gender-bent Ginny and a Harry who accidentally transfigured his..."

"Damn it, Minion, I'm not going down this road. Not again!"

Minion sulked back into his dark alleyway. "Fine, then."

He fiddled with the brass handle of his briefcase, muttering to himself, and waited for the next unwary soul to pass.

7. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Republic continued down Potter Alley, grumbling to himself that if CheddarTrek got to call herself 'Ched' then he could certainly be called 'Rep'.

Suddenly his attention was drawn to the spectacle of two men in recognizable Mod robes, one of them of much more impressive girth than the other, coaxing and all but dragging a young man in a crazy vest down the Alley. He recognized Oz and Xiph0. As for the third ...

"You're wrong!" The tied up man screamed "Do you hear me? Wrong! It's magic! You can't analyze it with a practical-nay, a muggle- thought process!"

Rep was close enough to hear Oz's soothing words as the Mod leaned in close and whispered "No one cares."

Rep shuddered as the trio passed him by, the captive's screams fading as they moved further away. An inspection of the other passerbys of the Alley yielded either grim or snickering faces.

Few envied Taure's fate.

8. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  9. Anme

Anme Professor

I expected this thread to be about a DLP library for original fiction as in novels instead of fan fiction. Although not very realistic (only think of the amount of recommendations, although it might be possible to limit that somehow), it would be pretty cool in my opinion to see which books get the best rating and reviews and how these ratings compare to the fanfics. A lot nicer than the Book recommendation thread on its own anyway.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We could have a sub-forum dedicated to books.

Oh wait, we do.

11. Anme

Anme Professor

That we do. :p

12. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    EDIT: Yeah, I just had to be that guy >>; Carry on good folks!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  13. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I just started reading this, but I'm kind of put off with how unlikable the main character is. But I'm only like halfway through the first chapter, and I really like the premise presented in the summery. Does he get better?

14. Ched

I think so, but that might be the sort of thing more should weigh in on. The way I read it, a large part of the story is actually his character growth. Not just in terms of power, but in his ability to socialize and connect to the people around him.

One example, which shouldn't spoiler too much, is the reason his sister is jumping on him to wake him up. It takes him a few restarts to stumble onto the fact that she's not just being bratty that morning, and afterwards he views his sister completely differently.

So yeah, I think that part gets better. But at the same time I was never put off by his characterization. Yes, he's an unlikable asshole, but I don't always mind that in a fictional character.

15. fire

fire Order Member

How interesting is he? I (and many others, I think) are willing to forgive an asshole everything so long as he/she is interesting - and, to be honest, assholes are probably more interesting since they're both more unpredictable and more understandable in their motivations.

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

17. Ched

Hell, I don't know how to answer this. I guess the best way to give a general idea is to say that this guy is not powerful in the traditional sense of the word. His magical reserves/power/whatever are below average, but they grow with practice, and he's been stuck in a time loop for while. What it does mean is that he has to be smart about things, or at least try to be.

There's another time traveler who has a shit ton of raw power, but he goes at things headfirst and while he's a badass that tends to end with him bashing his head against the wall. I think our character is probably more interesting than that one would be, and manages to figure out a few things the other character couldn't.

His motivations are pretty clear cut. For the most part it amounts to "What the fuck is going on?" He approaches this in a believable manner, worrying about himself first. "What is happening to me?" But answers aren't easy to find, and before you realize it he's bumping into the bigger picture as well. And you from early on that the 'big picture' is a big deal, and he wants to help with it somehow.

But does any of that answer your question about how interesting the character is? I have no idea. He's not the most interesting character I've ever encountered in fiction, but I didn't find him boring either. He's fairly standard in the interesting department, like the majority of protagonists in the majority of stories. And let's be honest, he's not that big of an asshole that it's such a major character flaw he needs massive props elsewhere to make up for it.

In other words I don't know. But if you read through to the first or second time loop and weren't into it, you probably aren't going to get into it. He hooked me on the first loop back, but that's partly b/c I just so happen to like Groundhog Day stories in general.

18. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Have you not seen my two short stories in the Original Fiction section?

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    No?

/10char

20. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter