1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Wynter, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Is that the 3DS gift shop? If so I'm guessing it's not available in aus, as I can only get the patch and not the actual game.

2. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

That's kinda weird that the AUS e-shop isn't selling it. The sale is only for the US e-shop, afaik, but to not be able to buy it at all?

3. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Very true, I enjoy the Persona series for its charms just as much as I do the SMT games, I've just seen too many people try and judge them on the same merits or in the case of my friend, go from a weekend blitz of P4 on a hard mode clean save where we had no trouble - which isn't exactly saying much, I've logged waaaay too many runs on P3/4 for it to be considered fair- to wanting to try and do the same with Nocturne without me giving any hints other than towards which ending he wanted.

Short version is that he gave up on that right around Matador oddly enough. Ended up making me clear the A Network for him so we could actually finish on 'schedule'.

TLDR; I'm a bit of an Atlus fanboy and I miss having the time to do -and I hate using this term- "Nuzlocke" runs of the games with my buds in a single sitting.

4. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Well it IS Matador, the terror of new players. Although some of the later ones are worse.

5. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

he coulda skipped matador too, what with it being optional (as long as you dont want to do all the extra content at least)

6. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

He wanted Dante and the true demon ending, which amounts to doing most of the hard shit. Had more fun watching him get pissed than playing through the game for the nth time. Least he finally got into the swing of things when he started to abuse fog breath.

7. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Yeah the only games I see are Persona: Shadow of the labyrinth, SMT IV and Soul Hackers

8. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

It's really not. It's the only one of those bosses that you ABSOLUTELY have to fight. There's no going around it. The only way to 'skip' it is to have the original version of the game and not the Maniax edition or newer. Good luck with getting a copy of that.

9. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

Double checked and found you were right- my memory of the game from a decade ago was that it was down a lefthand corridor that deadended, and you needed to go down the corresponding righthand corridor from the fork to get to ikebekuro.

10. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Finished P3P. Final boss battle was tedious but not in any respect difficult. Bittersweet ending.

11. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Now a good ways into Nocturne (I think?). Just finished the Obelisk. Not getting the sense of uber difficulty that I've heard about this game. Have yet to run into a boss that has taken me more than a couple tries to beat, including all of the Candelabrum bosses I've run across. Doesn't measure up to the original SMT game at all in that regard. Is it just because I'm not playing on Hard? Well, if so, I've got too much time already invested in this run to just start anew.

12. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

I'm trying to remember which ones you've run into for Candelabrum at that point. Like... have you hit Red Rider yet? Or the Minotaur thing that I can't remember the name of?

13. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I've beaten Matador, Daisoujou, Hell Biker and all four of the Horsemen as of right now. I guess Dante also counts, since he coughs one up on the rematch. I'm right now about to take on another one in Yoyogi Park. Bosses have gotten even easier ever since getting Divine Shot.

14. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

Hard mode for the game is HARD.

Also, are you preparing for the bosses in advance, or going in blind?

And have you advanced the calpas at all?

15. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I just did Mother Harlot blind, ended up being very badly prepared for her (no electric resistance, not a whole lot of magic damage output) and still won with only one slightly hairy point in the fight. I don't think I would have been able to get away with that even in Persona 3.

I mean, I have died or had to reset a few times. But those have felt to me more like bad luck or just not being prepared right. When I know what I'm doing, though, there's never much difficulty involved. I probably should just be playing on Hard.

16. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I cast Samarecarm on this thread!

New game's been announced, guys. Apparently it's called SMT IV: Final.

Here's a siliconera link.

Looks pretty neat. More info on the 11th, so it seems.

17. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since this is active again~

I completed Persona 3 FES about a month and a half ago, and I've played about 20 or 25 hours into SMT IV. I'm planning on (finally) starting Persona 4 Golden within the next... let's say 48 hours eh?

I have an IRC channel called #OlliePlays that I use to primarily discuss whatever I'm playing at the time as well as a way to track my most important backlog titles and games that I need to return to.

I also might start an LP thread of sorts on the forum to discuss the game as I go through (possibly in a semi-narrative style like the old DLP Nuzlocke thread) - which I'll edit into this post if I do it.

re: SMT IV Final, I'm so relieved it isn't a remix/definitive considering I've made partial but not full progress into the base game so far (and it doesn't feel like it could use a huge overhaul in my opinion)

18. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Thread makes me reconsider going back to finish Persona 3. Loved the game, I just tend to lose interest after 20 hours or so and it is a really long game.

19. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Alright I'm just under an hour and a half into P4 Golden, I beat Shadow Yosuke and also established Magician with Yosuke

Considering the last Magician S Link (KENJI), P4G is off to a great start :)

20. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score: