1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Doomsman's Herald - Roarian/Morta's Priest - T - HP/Tolkien

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Quiddity, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: Doomsman's Herald
    Author: Roarian/Morta's Priest
    Rating: T
    Genre:
    Fandom: HP/Tolkien
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: On the day that Lord Voldemort fell, at dawn, Harry Potter obtained the last of the Deathly Hallows. In that moment, stretching into endlessness, he faces the Doomsman - and the choice of his life. Fate beckons on the sound of an endless symphony.
    Link: FFN

Probably the best Tolkien crossover fic ever written, and certainly the most intriguing. Whilst it never really got going, I think at 20,000 words there's still enough substance to make a judgement, and (unfortunately) it's probably all we're going to get.

More importantly, the share quality of the writing of this one is astounding. It has the cliche DH post-death scene to kick off the crossover, the MoD connection, but it manages to present them and to craft them in such a way that it is unique and engaging.

5/5, easily.

2. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Why should it go to the library?

I think Steelbadger's Shadow of Angmar is better, but to each their own.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a good story, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate for the Library. Not because it's abandoned per se, but because it was abandoned before anything happened. All we really have is several chapters detailing the particular MacGuffin used to get Harry to the LotR world, then one chapter covering his arrival there.

Given that most people skip/skim the MacGuffin and go straight to the arrival in the new universe, there's only really one chapter of substance.

4. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Perhaps we can beat blackmail irc-ban convince Roarian to continue it?

5. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, he did thumb the post, that's a start...

6. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Because we have no Abandoned works in the library?

Taure's point is far better, and perhaps what you were driving at. Still, I think that whilst not much happens in the direction that it was intended to - the grand plot, and so on - what is there is still worthy enough on its own merits. It *is* basically just a prologue, but considering the quality of it, I think it is appropriate nonetheless.

And obviously, if Roarian could be...persuaded to continue, that would be the best option.

Of course.

7. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

Speaking of which, what happened to that guy? I haven't seen him around for awhile.

8. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I heard he got a new job and moved house or some shit like that. Whatever, it's no excuse!

I think the thing with Doomsman's is that we can be pretty sure that if it does ever get anything added to it (nudge nudge, hint hint) it'll be easily library-worthy. We already know that Roarian is good and unless the story has some fundamental issue (which it doesn't, to my knowledge) the story would also be good.

But, as Taure says, it's not really a story yet. More like a prologue-prompt.