1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing: Bookmarks

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Hey everyone!

As part of our series of ongoing adjustments and improvements to DLP, today we'd like to introduce you all to a new feature: Bookmarks.

Bookmarks are a handy tool that will allow thread creators in the Work by Author sections of the forum (though they can be used in any forum) to specifically mark posts of theirs to be included in an 'Index' which can be accessed from the top of the threads, or inside each individually marked posts!

For an example of how they look please check out Harry Potter and the Elves Most Fabulous by Steelbadger.

What follows is a quick guide to get you acquainted with Bookmarks in both how to use them as a Writer and how to use them as a Reader!

Posting in WbA with Bookmarks

There are two key components that you have to remember when making a WbA post with Bookmarks!

1. The name of the Bookmark is taken from the Title of your post!

If you do not enter a name then it will default to Bookmark #

[​IMG]

2. To choose to Bookmark your post you have to tick a box!

[​IMG]

Reading WbA with Bookmarks

Interacting with Bookmarks is easy! There are two ways to do it. One is located at the top of each thread and is titled Bookmarks. The other is located in each bookmarked post at the top and bottom!

[​IMG]

Clicking on the 'Bookmarks' opens up a dropdown menu containing a list of every post that has been bookmarked!

[​IMG]

If you're engrossed in what you're reading, however, you don't have to jump to the top of the page! at the end you'll find the post name with arrows to let you go back and forward through the Bookmarks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you guys have any problems or issues using this new feature, don't hesitate to post in the Support Forum so we can fix the problems as soon as possible!

I hope this guide has been helpful to those who need it, and that it provides our wonderful authors with another tool they can use to showcase their talents!

The ability to use Bookmarks will become available over the next several hours as the sites cached templates are updated, however, until then we'll make to make do with the example provided.

This has been made possible by the efforts of Lord Ravenclaw who has taken extra time out of his busy schedule to do the back end work to provide us with this great feature. Everyone show your appreciation!

2. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well, damn! You guys are amazing. Thank you!

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    More awesomesauce!gravy for DLP! You guys rock!

So the announcement is pretty self-explanatory, older posts in WBA threads which can't be edited will miss out on bookmarks. Question: would it be possible to ask a mod to insert bookmarks in a thread (like it was done with Steelbadger's thread) since we can't do it ourselves? Sort of like the Name Change Request thread. Figured it's better to ask while the announcement is fresh and have a clear answer.

4. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

This is so damn sexy. Also, I love that mine is the only thread with this properly enabled at the moment :cool:. I feel like I've won a particularly nerdy lottery.

The only thing that would bring it to maximum amazing-ness would be the ability to edit posts in my other story threads so that I can add this to my other pre-existing stories.

Also, for the authors who make significant edits to their stories the ability to edit posts other than the first becomes necessity with the book marks (if you 'update' a chapter and post it in a new post then you'll need edit rights to remove the defunct version from the bookmark listing, right?)

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's exactly what happened. You lucky devil, you.

QFT.

edit: on the other hand, there's also the possibility of reposting the fic in a new thread. It's something that's been on my mind with regard to my ongoing story since the thread is so cluttered. Damn, now I want to do it. A shiny new thread would be delicious. I'll wait for an answer from our benevolent G(M)ods though.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I second Fishthulhu. This is awesome, guys.

7. DC

DC Groundskeeper

Discussions on DLP introduced me to SV forums too, the first thing I thought was how cool it'd be if we had something similar to their Threadmarks feature. Thanks for making it come true, guys!

My brain processed Fishthulhu as Fist Cthulhu. It was not a nice moment.

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

This is great. Definitely something that will make WbA more reader and writer friendly.
    Lord Ravenclaw - Thanks a ton. I appreciate the hard work!

9. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I'll work on making older posts editable, but until then feel free to ask a mod or admin.

Shouldn't be too hard to do (now that I've re-leveled my vB mod capabilities). I can probably put something out tonight to make that possible.

10. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

This work has been completed. Thread starters in WBA/Little Italy will be able to edit all of their posts indefinitely (including toggling bookmarking).

Additionally, a few issues threadmarks created (hanging but successful edits, doubleposts, PHP errors in PMs) have been fixed.

11. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

Can bookmarks be added to the new post tab. When I select the new post it doesn't show them. It would allow me to determine if the WbA post was a chapter (interested) or discussion (not as interested).

12. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Well, generally speaking a chapter post is fairly shortly followed by discussion posts, making such a thing questionably useful at best.

Now if it indicated if there was an indicator for a bookmarked post within the last 24 hours or something, then maybe...