1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quest Idea Thread

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Probellum, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I did toy with the idea for doing a Theon Greyjoy ASOIAF quest before I settled on Stannis instead. He certainly has a lot of fun potential directions he could go. It'd probably be best to start off close to when show/book canon does, though. Being a hostage in Winterfell rather severely restricts his options.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Never played it.

3. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

What I want to see is a strategy and tactics oriented Pokemon Quest. Basically, my dream wish would be a Lamora meets Pokemon Online kind of quest; epic storytelling and feel coupled with smart party forming and tactics. Add to this shifty alliances, mysteries to be solved and damsels to be saved and I'll be a happy camper.

Then again, Lamora is supposed to post the next chapter soon so I guess I already am. :)

4. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Check out theific by wildbow. Dead now but good prose. https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/theific-fantasy-oc-quest.276045/

5. Aekiel

High Score:
    Nice, though different to the idea I've been working with. If I come up with something good I'll post it.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Average person quest.

Basically we design a person living in modern-day earth.

We choose their gender, name, country, etc.

We guide them through their childhood, school years, teenage years and eventually adulthood.

We determine their hobbies, likes, dislikes, dreams and fears.

We look for a job, a potential life partner, etc.

It could be fun.

7. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

That's horrifically dull.

8. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Until he starts running quests, and then quests within quests.

9. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Well certainly with that attitude.

10. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

It's called the Sims

11. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

Could be interesting with an unnatural twist.

After reaching a certain age the protagonist doesn't get older or when the protagonist's first child is born he dies and his consciousness gets transferred.

On the other hand it might be too difficult to predict our modern-day earth's future.

Quest Idea: Pokemon Gym Leader (Lamora-style Pokemon)

The QM rolls the core theme (or Gym) and region.

The OC starts as rookie trainer of the Gym and has to challenge the contenders before they get to see the actual Leader.

The dream of the OC is to become the Gym Leader (and maybe even regular leader) of his town.

The OC has different tasks, which help him level certain skills.

Treating and breeding pokemon at the Gym. (medicine)
    Fighting in the Gym. (tactics)
    Ranging outside of town. (outdoor survival)
    Bureaucracy inside of town. (managing)
    Helping other trainers. (social skills)
    etc.

Get cozy with Nurse Joy for some special treatment or friendly with Team Rocket to get your hands on rare Pokemon in exchange for shady dealings in your town.

If the OC gets tired of his Gym and his town he can always choose his successor and aim for a spot in the Elite Four.

12. Varios

Varios Third Year

I'd really like to see a Code Geass quest, Lelouch of Britannia style

13. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

The problem is Lelouch is a certified Magnificent Bastard who has Plans Within Plans. Even when those plans go wrong, he's able to adjust fairly well on the fly and come through on top most of the time. At the very least, he'll be able to survive.

Whereas the majority of Quest Players....are not. A Lelouch Quest would require a Closed Vote at the least to ensure staying in character, and even then, Lelouch is one of the hardest characters to write because of his vast intelligence. The QM would need to be one of incredible skill.

Or, you could go for a crappy, half-assed Quest where SV kills itself in 3-4 updates because they couldn't plan right.

14. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I was thinking about doing a quest but the voters are really stopping me. The people who vote in quests are prone to metagaming, overcautious behavior and schizophrenia, I don't really know how fun it would be to have the main character behave hugely erratically.

If I do get the motivation I kind of want to do another ASOIAF quest, I like the setting and it does get attention, but starring Eddard Stark from just after Harrenhal. The central idea would be that he and Ashara fall in love but since he's a second son her father won't let them marry unless Eddard does something to prove himself. It has several points I like, no possible shipping wars, the players are forced to be active, and it utterly murders canon.

Ideally it would be the Ned and Robert smash Essos show, but who knows, Indiana Jones style adventures in Sothoryos are not out of the question.

15. Aekiel

High Score:
    The easy way around that is to use an OC gaining a Geass of some kind.

16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

That would be rather awesome, not gonna lie. I'd read the shit out of it; and I'd totally vote for Robert and Ned sellswording over in Essos.

That said, it's not gonna stop the players from being overly cautious and consistently terrified of potential consequence, nor will it stop them trying to metagame everything. It's unfortunate, but that's the nature of the beast. As the GM, you'd have to go out of your way to actively punish players when they try that shit, probably through DP (or whatever equivalent) penalties, as very little else seems to actually get through to most voters.

Edit:
    Probably the ideal way to do it would be a 'characterization scale' type thing, where you as the QM decide on how 'in-character' a given action is after the vote is done and then reward/penalize DP based on that. That way, the metagaming way to success is to, well, not metagame and actually try and come up with a coherent characterization and semi-consistent process.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  17. Manavz

Manavz Second Year

Eragon/ASOIAF

Eragon leaves Alagaësia at the end of the series and sails to a new land. Little is known of the eastern lands of Westeros. Depending on the QM and how much of the canon you wish to derail, you could either personally choose when Eragon makes it to Westeros or have the players vote.

18. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Eragon could solo the setting, you'd have a hard time giving him challenges.

19. Manavz

Manavz Second Year

Well, you could always use QM powers and remove Eragon's magic. He's still a dragon rider and skilled swordsman but not stupidly op. Take a note out of Hasheen's book really.

20. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

If you can't figure out a way to make things interesting without nerfing, don't write it.

I wish to see a short quest (or a story), for example called "Manipulative Dumbledore" where you start the play as proper, canon Albus Dumbledore, and get to interact with indy!Harry who believes that Dumbledore is manipulative, and blames him for everything, and whatever you do he takes it for an offence.