1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Resurrexit by Master Slytherin - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Stalin's Pipe Organs, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

You're not wrong, but his answer is post number thirteen in a review thread. I mean come on, what were you expecting by reading this many reviews of a story without reading it yourself first?

2. S1234567890m

S1234567890m Third Year

Because not concealing spoilers for the story in the initial review forum is against the rules?

3. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Thank you. Also, if the 12 first could give their review without spoiling it... And he just dropped the main thing about the story in just, what his second line with no warning whatsoever?

4. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Wow, I'll be real honest, I didn't give one thought to spoilers. At all. And I even hate being spoiled in the extreme.

My apologies. I feel like a dickbag in the extreme. I don't know if putting things in spoiler tags would be of any use now since others have started talking about the plot points, so I'm at a loss. But I apologize.

5. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

If you're sorry and feel like a dickbag and all that, wouldn't the natural response be going back to your post and, you know, actually putting spoiler tags in it? :facepalm

Anyways, the story was excellent. The plot, pacing, and execution were brilliant, and really pulled me into the fic. Harry was OOC, but that’s the nature of fanfiction in general, so I was fine with that. While what the previous posts said were true and there were things that could have been better, the twists made up for them in my opinion. Ah, the twists :D

4.5/5, rounded down to a 4. While things were slightly rough in some parts, I think this story definitely deserves a spot in the library.

6. johnny

johnny Temporarily Banhammered

I tried to read but got bored after the first chapters. Tried to skim but couldn't even do that. Skipped to the last few chapters to come across the worst bit of fanfic ever.

The Weasley Beggar kills Harry lol thats the biggest fail I have seen written sorry that makes the fic -100000000000000 for me.

7. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Pretty sure I addressed that. Others have done it too, and unless we all go back and edit... is there a point? Plus, I just tried, and I can't edit my post.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. Jswords

Jswords Squib

Very solid writing but the plot for the second half just didn't work nearly as well for me.
    4/5

9. klauth

klauth First Year

I didn't realize I had a craving for a mystery until starting this story. Actually reread What Lies Beneath a few months ago. Master Slytherin's newest work is fantastic. Even his use of some older story tropes like secret agent unspeakables is easy to get around with the quality writing and original ideas. Easily a 4/5.

10. Manavz

Manavz Second Year

I liked it. Good grammar, clear diction and a rather interesting concept. Solid 4.5/5.

11. Lord_Frost

Lord_Frost Squib

This is a very good story, It was very well written. I give it a 4.5/5.

12. Tomas19

Tomas19 Squib

Definitely in the "Not a Fan" category.

I'm not particularly impressed with the technical skills of the author. I've always been a sucker for someone who can evoke emotion or feeling, rather than technical precision. This didn't do it for me, and I'm unwilling to overlook the flaws I saw in the pacing and delivery (I agree with the opinions that the tale sort of went off the rails about halfway through).

The ending (not the epilogue) was weak and conflicted, and the epilogue itself was a disappointment. Not in that 'it didn't end the way I wanted it to' way, but in a 'gee - who couldn't see that coming?' way.

2/5

13. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

I've always felt RoP was really good when it was first written (compared to the rest of the fandom), and it both hits and misses many tropes.

Still, I didn't like many of it's concepts (Vampires?) even then. If I reread it now my score would probably be 3/5 or less... plus, it's not exactly a small chunk of words.

14. Bootleg Beerkeg

Bootleg Beerkeg Squib

Personally loved it, one of the few decent mystery fan fictions I've read. The writing was excellent, and it was very well paced. The twists and mystery kept me invested the whole way through, easily a personal favourite. Also, all the chapters were released at once, giving me a new, complete story to read. Of course, it had its problems, and a few things were strange, as I don't quite remember Harry ever getting so... excessive... after anyone's death in canon.

Still a great story, easy 4.5 for me, rounded up to 5/5.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

This is a textbook acceptable post from a lurker.

It is short, concise, contains valuable information relating to how the user felt about the story. Praise them.

16. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Despite being impressed by the story, I didn't care for it. I thought most of the mystery telegraphed and Harry's break far too sudden. Technically, it is excellent. The pacing is handled well and the characterization for nearly all of the characters felt fine.

Nonetheless, it's not something that I would reread. 3.5/5, rounded to 4 because it probably deserves to be in the library despite my personal preferences and misgivings.

17. Tomas19

Tomas19 Squib

Wrote a long response to this, pointing out that:

• Beerkeg Bootleg is a 36 hour old acct,
    • this post was 15 min after his first,
    • that this story has a rating of 3.88 stars and that a couple of 5 star reviews don't hurt in keeping this from falling below 3.5 stars into "Almost Recommendable'
    • and given the "wars" going on in General Fics & Almost Recommendable where throwaway accounts (I presume) are pushing certain stories back and forth between 3 & 4 stars to either force them back into 'For Review' or out of the Library, I was uncomfortable giving 'praise' to Beerkeg Bootleg when - at this point in time - this could just as easily be a throwaway as a lurker.
    • I also pointed out that only more time (and a review of activity by mods) can actually tell whether the account is legit.
    When I posted that review, my security caught 'virulent javascript' coming from DLP that tried to grab information from my computer and killed my posting. This has never happened before; I don't know if its worth checking the site for any invasive intrusions.

Apologies for the diversion, but figured I point both out in one.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yes? They signed up and started to post. As opposed to other people with actual, useful content. And on-topic, as opposed to your post. I am not sure I get what you want to point out, unless you want to construct a conspiracy over ratings of a Fanfiction in a forum (read that sentence again, please). You are posting to explain why you did not make a post praising someone elses post?

Also, there is no such thing as 'virulent javascript' on our end. You may want to make sure everything's good on your end.

Edit: Naturally, there'll be only reviews below my post. If there's still need for further clarification, profile message or PM.

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

As far as I'm aware (pretty aware). That wouldn't have originated from the actual forums. Sounds like it may have been a browser hijacker, but I'd suggest posting in technical support with more details and Raven will take a better look at the case for you.

Also, I'm not quite sure what the issue was with the post I quoted. I specifically said that it was an example of a good post.

Edit: 'Praise them' was also a reference to Doctor Who link here

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  20. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

I just couldn't get into this fic. I think the death thing got me, but when that is the main point of the story, it really isn't a point against it, just something that i'm not looking for. I quit early though so I guess things may change.Technically though it is fantastic.

I'd give it a 3/5

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015