1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fandoms with great possibilities for fanfiction.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Varaug, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Bleach, The Gamer, and Re:Monster.

The basic ideas are fantastic, and I feel like they have a lot of potential, but the authors are sadly retarded. At least with Bleach you can keep the main characters and still do fine, but the other two need a complete overhaul to be anything more then a guilty pleasure.

2. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Gamer's victimized every single fandom in existence with crossovers.

3. SeekingSerenity

SeekingSerenity Third Year

High Score:
    I wish i had enough posts to thumbs up you....

4. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

From checking out Gamer crosses, my impression so far is that it's a detriment more then anything. It just clogs the story up with stats and other junk.

5. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Victimized is the right word. Despite the potential of the idea, pretty much everyone insists on copying exactly what the gamer did, or trying to use GURPS instead of making their own system. Instead of adapting the game system to the story, they adapt the story to the game system, and totally ruin any chance of writing anything more then PnP wank.

Most of them, yeah. Check out The Games We Play or Ramen Days, both of which did well with the concept, though only the first is explicitly The Gamer. I've come across five or six readable to good stories spread out among the five dozen piles of shit.

6. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

I've seen way too many RE:Monster quests where I hang out, so that's soured me on the concept for fanfiction. The concept is very power-wanky, which makes it perfect for wish-fulfillment quests but awful for any sort of serious story.

I don't feel like there's any saving The Gamer fanfiction. If you change the systems from the original, it's not really a Gamer fanfic. "[character]'s Life is a Video Game" stories have existed long before The Gamer showed up, so the systems from the manhwa are the only reason to call something a Gamer fanfic.

7. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Planescape.

Can't believe I forgot to mention this before, but Planescape has amazing potential for fanfics in general. The setting itself is very varied given that it's not confined to merely one of the Planes. Shit, you could do a fanfic with stuff only happening in Sigil and that'd be a big enough playground to start with.

I'd also like to see some stuff from Dark Sun, but I'm not holding my breath given that it's not that widely known.

8. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Hmmm.
    MCU? I haven't see any good stories in the fandom. It is choc full of yaoi writers wet dreams bu nothing else.

Espacially Captain America.

9. salts

salts Third Year

There's more to The Gamer than just its mechanics. If you're angling for a crossover, you could have any number of characters be thrown into its modern-day Korea setting--initial teething problems and all. Then again, the manhwa's plot is threadbare with unoriginal sounding villains--IIRC, the organisation? Girls' The Wild shares the same problem--I'd kill to read a good fanfiction for GTW.

10. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I still feel the world of RWBY has a lot of potential that hasnT been tapped.

Magic: The Gathering has a HUGE world that would work both for crossovers and other stories.

11. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Agree, Magic The Gathering should have an unholy amount of fanfics, but never found a good one. Think there are a few crossovers where some character is made into a Planeswalker but meh. Want to see some bitching Kiora fics where she runs around, collecting sea monsters.

The Warcraft fandom is relatively small, especially considering how big the games are and how long they've been around. But cool world, lots of characters and an easy magic system. Potential for large scale military stories, political stuff, and small stories focused on characters, either original or canon.

12. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    The only Warcraft stories I have on my list are The Obsidian Dawn and Frostblood. I recall enjoying both, but I remember feeling that Obsidian Dawn might not be for everyone near the end. I don't remember much about Frostblood, so I can't comment on it, I just remember really enjoying it.

13. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

A large portion of Warcraft fanfiction is not on FFN, so that's why it looks so small. Like Spacebattles and Worm, most of them stayed on WoW fansites and forums. I wouldn't be shocked if there was some gem that's lost forever on a random site.

No one cares about The Gamer's plot or setting. The mechanics are the sole reason anyone reads it, and removing them leaves you with just a sub-par modern fantasy setting. You might as well write a RE:Monster story without the reincarnation.

14. Ankan

Ankan Professor

I agree wholeheartedly. I used to be a lorenerd when it came to that universe, it has alot of untapped potential with alot of small/big actions that could have caused massive ripples in the lore itself.

Some examples of these might have been that war of the ancients turns out differently with more negative effects. Another one is that Jaina helps her father Daelin in his final fight which could have resulted in the deaths of Thrall & Rexxar. The possibilities are innumerable when it comes to this fandom.

15. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Though its probably juvenile by now I always loved the Artemis Fowl series, largely due to the growth of the main character throughout the books.

The world itself was interesting enough that it could spawn any number of fanfics. There are a few out there but none of any note.

16. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Most of the existing Artemis Fowl stories get bogged down in the romance with Holly(?) and angst.

17. Ankan

Ankan Professor

I must have been blind not to notice it before but there is a quite a few fics on Blizzards own forums.

EDIT; decided to start going through the pile of fics, I will tell if I find any gems.

18. mortalone

mortalone Sixth Year

I somewhat disagree on what stories make for great fanfiction. I'd list the following properties:

1) Large setting with numerous unexplored possibilities (already discussed)
    2) Very popular (already discussed)
    3) A core cast of characters who are easily identifiable and the audience has a vested emotional interest in
    4) Visuals that readily come to mind when thinking about certain characters, places, or events
    5) Easily tied into other fandoms (somewhat discussed)

No more needs to be said about (1) or (2), and (5) is as much a curse as it is a blessing.

3) Hasn't really been addressed and I think this might even be THE essential ingredient. If I say Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker, or Captain Kirk, you already have a vested interest. You enjoyed previous adventures with them and you want more. Try writing a SW fic with ONLY OC's. You're just not going to have the same audience. Likewise, it's pretty much impossible to get anyone to read Naruto fanfiction that doesn't have Naruto. Does anyone read Harry Potter fanfics without Harry Potter? I've never seen any. And Star Trek has utterly failed to escape the shadows left by Kirk and Picard.

The fact that you can drop any one of those characters in another setting and attract audiences is telling all by itself. And yes, the fandom versions of those characters are badly bastardized, with Naruto being one of the worst offenders, but it's the emotional investment in the character rather than the character itself which attracts the audience.

You can see this phenomenon also with games. It's easier to write for Mass Effect than for World of Warcrack because Shepard is a character -- not uniquely determined, but still readily identifiable by his/her choices and Shepard is surrounded by similarly interesting and likable characters who the audience feels vested in.

On this account I certainly agree that The Witcher is surprisingly unloved.

4) I think this is a huge part of why anime/manga/comics do so well compared to novels in fanfiction. In terms of absolute sales in the English speaking world, I think novels probably do better, but outside of a select few series there isn't much in the way of fanfiction for novels. The fact that I can say Gundam and you immediately have a visual makes it a lot easier for hack authors to write.

19. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ...Alexandra Quick?

20. gorgonfish

gorgonfish Second Year

Not to mention all those Marauder Era stories.