1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Short Fiction Markets and Contests

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Perspicacity, May 8, 2010.

1. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

At any rate, I can try to write out something to see if I have any ability at all. I've only ever written one rather short bit of fanfiction. It was written in approximately an hour and wasn't proofread or conceptualized beforehand, plus it was years ago, so I'm wanting to try my hand again.

Just to be safe I can change some of the basics of the characters to make them just different enough that they couldn't be said to be the same.

I guess we'll see how far I get in the next week or three. I got my PhD yesterday so apart from the Job search and taking a break I might actually have time to try my hand at this writing stuff.

3. Ched

So, time for another necropost. When I posted on the previous page I had never written any fiction, fanfic or otherwise, save for a 1k HP short that I'd churned out in half an hour for a contest (it was horrible and I do not count it).

I've probably gone through about 100k of words since I started in Feb of last year. That's not a ton, and my writing still sucks, but it's not that horrible as far as putting pen to page goes.

I missed our first Anthology deadline. I had all but two scenes written and got stuck, though I finished them up in November (then lost them due to a flash drive SNAFU, and only recently rewrote them, but that's beside the point).

The point is that I started looking at other places I could eventually try to publish it. It's not good enough now, but it's a complete draft to work on editing while I try to write something for Anthology #2.

I found this site: http://www.aswiebe.com/writing/markets.html

If you click the "Download Markets Spreadsheet" you get an excel spreadsheet that is apparently updated every month with a listing of all the markets currently looking for short stories / novellas complete with word length requirements, payment offered, and topics accepted.

I don't know if all those markets are legit -- some of Pers links in the first post might help to figure that out, along with google -- but I thought it was neat anyway. There's also some "useful links" near the bottom but I haven't read them to see how useful they actually are.

This also led me to Kindle Singles. It's apparently a little different from self-publishing through Amazon, as you have to get them to "accept" your work as worthy of being a "Kindle Single." You still publish through KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) but apparently it's better (more legit?) because it's gone through at least a little of the editing process? Anyone know any more details about this?

There are apparently similar programs in place for B&N (Nook Snaps) and Apple (Apple Quick Reads), but finding submission information for those proved difficult.

And all of that, plus Pers post, is what I found out today while looking. Great post by the way Pers -- super helpful, thanks.

I have been meaning to sign up for Critters.org for a bit but haven't -- from what I recall, in case anyone else is interested, you basically agree to read and provide constructive criticism for one thing per week (you pick from a few, all <20k) in exchange for getting several reviews on your own work. I'd been waiting until I had something worth submitting to sign up.

How about a list of useful links for people looking to publish longer works, like Novels? I remember looking into it semi-seriously at one point last year, but I didn't save any of the links and I was a far cry from having a novel written anyway.

Cheers everyone. Also congrats to all our newly published authors in the DLP Anthology, here's hoping even more of us make the next one.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. Ched

Anyone interested in writing short short fiction (<1000 words) might find this interesting. I've got one I'm working on that I might try to submit later, though I am having trouble with it so not sure how it'll turn out.

Flash Fiction Online

Excerpts from the link above:
    We publish stories from 500 to 1,000 words in length. We look for previously unpublished material.

We’re not that concerned about genre. Many of us have a fondness for science fiction and fantasy, but we also like literary fiction; and in any case, great flash stories aren’t always easily classified. If you wrote it, and you love it, then submit it.

Publication in Flash Fiction Online counts toward the requirements for membership in the Science Fiction Writers of America (SFWA).
    Please note that the SFWA requires three qualifying publications of at least $50 each that total $250 or more. Publications in Flash Fiction Online would need to be combined with other professional publications to meet this requirement.

We pay fifty dollars ($50) per story.​

5. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I've submitted to them before and had one of my stories come down to a "one of two for this theme" decision; they opted for the other. The only slight disappointment with them, aside from the outcome, is that they held onto my piece for what seemed a very long time before I heard from them, somewhere in the neighborhood of six to nine months.

6. Ched

Summary: Quantum Physics inspired short story at <1000 words. Competition is associated with Tor and Scientific American. First place is $2000 SGD, which is roughly $1550+ in USD. Due date is December 1, 2013.

Links:
    Main
    How to Enter
    Prizes

Note: A few folks over on Absolute Write are complaining about how you might lose first rights to your story since they are posting entries online or something. So might want to read the fine print if you go for it.

Sauce:
    Are you ready for the Quantum Shorts flash fiction competition?
    Quantum physics is a crazy theory but every experiment done so far backs it up: the world really is a crazy place. Particles can be in more than one place at the same time and quantum computers really could solve in a flash problems that make today’s supercomputers stumble. Even teleportation isn’t science fiction. But fiction is what we’re looking for. After last year’s Quantum Shorts film competition drew some fantastic short films, this year we want stories.

We challenge you to take inspiration from quantum theory to write flash fiction: a short story no longer than 1000 words. Don’t think you have to make it full of explano-babble, weird science or quantum powered-gadgets: as long as it is engaging, and clearly linked to some aspect of the quantum world, we’d love to read your entry. To help, we’ve suggested some themes and styles you might want to explore - visit our inspiration pages to learn more. You have until 23:59 EST on 1 December 2013 to enter.

7. Ched

Official Star Trek Fanfiction contest

I think the parts about how it's (1) officially sanctioned by the Star Trek franchise and (2) can result in an official anthology publication with Simon & Schuster makes it legitimate enough to put in this thread despite it's fanfiction roots.

8. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    That's awesome!

...and I'm not eligible. Heh. Have to live in the US and not have past publishing experience.

I blame you for this vast disappointment, CheddarTrek.

9. Ched

I was lurking in the shadows just waiting for someone to be disappointed like that, hoping that it would be you...

...then I intended to update the post with rules which are clearly applicable to this forum, like those. Right. Good call, sir.

:awesome

10. Ched

I've been entering this contest for the last year or so, posting most of my short pieces into WbA. @Perspicacity mentioned it in his original post, but I wanted to breathe a bit of new life into this thread.

24-Hour Short Story Contest by Writer's Weekly

Look, I'll be honest about two things. (1) Most of the winning entries aren't really that good, and (2) I haven't won yet. But the quality of writing for winning entries is a bar that I feel capable of meeting and therefore many of you can exceed.

Details
    Once every quarter a prompt will be announced at approximately noon in the US (I forget which exact time zone) with the stories being due via e-mail before noon the following day. A length will be specified, usually between 800 and 2000 words.

In my experience reading the winning entries it seems that people who use the prompt creatively do the best.

The top 3 stories have cash prizes. There are a total of 85 chances to win a prize at all, but only 23 of those prizes are merit-based (top 3 plus 20 honorable mentions).

1st Place

Publishing Package Prize – The Fine Print: BookLocker.com has published more than 9,000 titles in the past 19 years. This publishing package includes interior design, original cover design, ISBN, barcode, distribution/fulfillment, etc. CLICK HERE to see the At Your Service package details. The first place winner’s manuscript must be ready for review and formatting within three months of notification by BookLocker that he or she has won. The manuscript must first be approved for publication by BookLocker. (BookLocker.com will not publish books with bad writing or poor editing, nor ones that violate laws, contain libel or invasion of privacy, or that teach people how to perform illegal acts.) If BookLocker can’t publish the winner’s book for any of these reasons, their prize will instead be a free print book of their choice from BookLocker.com, in addition to the prizes above, of course.
    2nd Place

• $250 Cash Prize
    • Publication of winning story on WritersWeekly.com’s contest website
    • 1-year subscription to the Write Markets Report
    • A free writing-related print or ebook of the winner’s choice from BookLocker.com
    3rd Place

• $200 Cash Prize
    • Publication of winning story on WritersWeekly.com’s contest website
    • 1-year subscription to the Write Markets Report
    • A free writing-related print or ebook of the winner’s choice from BookLocker.com
    20 – Honorable Mentions

• A one-year subscription to The Write Markets Report
    • A free writing-related ebook of the winner’s choice from BookLocker.com
    25 – Door Prize Winners! (randomly drawn from all participants):

• A one-year subscription to The Write Markets Report
    35 – Grab Bag Winners!

• A free writing-related ebook of the winner’s choice from BookLocker.com
    There is a $5 entry fee, which must be paid before the contest begins (before you know what the prompt will be).

Look, I'll be honest. Apart from the cash prizes there's not a lot to shoot for here. Winning it isn't going to make you famous or give you an exceedingly useful publication credit or anything. But it's something and, frankly, it's fun. It's kept me writing and while my stories have mostly been shit it's helping me fill out my 'original short stories' folder with things I can edit into a decent work later on.

And again, the quality of winning entries seems to be at about the level that I can sometimes write at. And a lot of you are superior writers to myself, so it might be worth a try.

I do suggest reading winning entries and prompts for prior competitions though if you decide to compete - a lot of winners take the prompt in completely different directions rather than simply adding a twist or two.