1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer wont work

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Troy, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

So about 20 minutes ago I took the RAM out of my computer as I wanted to see which type it was as I am looking to get more as I have been having trouble playing games. When I put it back in and turned my computer on my computer beeps 5 times, but the monitor stays black.

However before that I took one of the old RAM out of my old computer and lined it up to see if was the same type while my computer was still on, and my computer turned itself off. I didn't try and turn it on before I took the RAM out.

Anyway that this can be fixed, or have I damaged my computer, by putting RAM next to the slot while my computer was on?

So I took the RAM out, turned the computer on and I still get the 5 beeps. Is it that the computer is not detecting the RAM or something else?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Can you say your specific motherbaord model? Is the RAM seated correctly? Does the beep-code change if you take the RAM out? If it doesn't change with the RAM out, then the RAM either isn't seated correctly, the RAM-slot is defect or the RAM isn't the problem.

For the future, always turn your PC off before you tinker with the components. It's possible that lining up the RAM could've caused a short, which in the worst case scenario could've damaged your motherboard (though unless you actually put the RAM in, it's unlikely since the contacts are at the very bottom of the slot - are you sure you didn't touch anything else?). Also, nowadays you can identify most of your components via software (CPU-Z, Aida64, HWInfo etc.), so you don't have to take components out for that.

3. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

The beep code doesn't change its 5 beeps repeated 3 times. The RAM that I was lining up was a different size so didn't fit, but I might have put it in the bottom or top to see if it would fit, but it wouldn't have gone in as the length and the small indent are in different places so there is no way it could go in. (I compared after I took the RAM out of my computer) I know I normally turn off the computer. This was the one time I didn't-figures.

I think the motherboard is Infinion.e mos.

Thanks, my laptop is playing up as well so I'm in trouble if I cant get this to work soon.

4. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Infineon doesn't produce motherboards. On the board, there should be a model name - like on this one for example it says "Gigabyte - GA-Z77-DS3H". Look for something like that, since identifying what the beepcode means requires knowing the motherboard model.

5. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

The only thing I recognise and can see that isn't a sticker(there are only 2) is "HP". Not sure if that helps, but that is the only thing there is. The only codes I can see are on stickers-PCDTLODCY1GJD4, and inside the case it says CT: LCEWD0A8Y1HHLN.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok... So I made this mistake when I was 15 and had a similar problem. Are you sure you put the ram in the right way around?

7. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

So it's an HP board, hmm that doesn't make it easier. Alright, the best I can find is that 5 beeps means either motherboard error or CPU error. Do the "zero-method" - meaning remove all components from the motherboard (RAM, GPU, HDD's etc. - except the CPU), then start the PC and listen to the beepcode. After that start adding components one at a time and listen if the beepcode changes.

If, with all things removed, it's still the same beepcode then try re-seating the CPU (make sure you've got thermal paste available, as well as 70, 90 or 99% Isopropyl alcohol - if you don't have them, go buy some). Take the CPU cooler off, clean off the thermal paste with a microfiber cloth or coffee filters (don't use paper towels) and isopropyl alcohol, take the CPU out and inspect the socket (if you've got Intel, make sure the pins in the socket look ok - if you've got AMD, make sure the pins on the CPU look ok). You can find many youtube videos detailing how to do it, if you're unsure.

If everything looks ok (no bend/broken pins, no corrosion on the pins and no thermal paste in the CPU socket) insert the CPU again, apply new thermal paste (make sure you've also cleaned the underside of the cooler) and put the CPU cooler back on and try again. If it doesn't work then, I'd say the board or CPU is probably fried.

Edit Innomine: You can't put the RAM in the wrong way, since there's a notch in it preventing that.

8. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

Yes, it can only go in one way as there is a small indent 3/5 of the way along it. If it was upside down it wouldn't fit.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Trust me, you can. Or at least, you could with my old computer.

I don't mean upside down, obviously, I mean length wise. Probably not possible anymore, but just thought I should mention it.

10. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

OK, thanks. Could I really have fried the board or CPU by touching a RAM stick(?) into the socket, it couldn't have gone in as it couldn't fit as it was too long. How much would it cost to get it looked at/fixed? At least I wil always turn everything off now.

Also in September I went on holiday, and I used my laptop, the last was day September 14th. On November 4th I used it just to update security, (Nortons, Malwarebytes) a couple of online games (Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm)
    Everything was ok, I restarted the laptop but after I logged on now it said "failure to launch security options" with either a white screen, a black screen or a blank screen with just the back ground showing depending on when I log on. Looking back, the only thing that was different was that live update on Nortons failed to connect when I did a full system scan.

Any ideas, I have tried looking online but haven't been able to find anything. The computer works fine in Safe mode.

11. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Well, it's always possible. I can't really tell you how much fixing it would cost, if you can get to a repair shop that doesn't charge for just looking at it (or a reasonable low amount), then do that. You can also go and get a second opinion over on Hardforum.

If it works in safe mode, then go there, open msconfig and turn off everything under "Startup" and see if you can boot normally then. Alternatively, just uninstall norton from safe mode and see if that works (there's also a removal tool for norton here, which you might want to use to get it completely uninstalled).

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Post a picture of the motherboard and maybe we can help direct you.

Also, is it 5 short beeps <break> 5 short beeps?

13. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've experienced similar failures when mucking about. Try re-seating your power supply cables - unplug, and then firmly plug them back in. Especially the power supply cables that feed the motherboard. It's possible that you pushed a cable which disrupted its connection. We all do it.

When you were lining up the old RAM stick, did any of the connectors [the teeth on the bottom] go into the slot, or did the RAM and motherboard not electrically connect in any way? Even a too-long stick of RAM can have one end rocked into the socket when trying to fit.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  14. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Troy : The RAM won't work unless it's properly seated - that means it needs to click into place fully. That can take quite a bit of force, sometimes more than you think it needs. Open the clamps up fully and push the RAM down harder until you hear a click.

I'm fairly sure your problem is just that the RAM isn't seated correctly. It causes the BIOS to not start correctly.

Edit: Oh God, just re-read thread. You took the RAM out while the computer was running!?

There's a chance you may have fried the memory and possibly the motherboard and CPU too. If you're certain the RAM is seated correctly after following my suggestion, get some RAM that wasn't in while you took it out as it was running and see if it works.

Edit: re-re-read thread. I'm apparently more tired than I thought. Hopefully you didn't actually damage it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  15. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

The computer was off when I took the Ram out,but it turned off when I tried to see if old RAM from my old computer would fit. Maybe I pushed it in the slot by accident, I'm not sure, The RAM is in as far as in can go, I've pushed hard, and both clamps have pushed into place. It's 4 sets of 5 beeps with a short pause between each set.
    I managed to sort my laptop out, it was the Mallwarebytes that was causing the problem.
    I went through them, turning off half, and then kept turning off half again until I found what it was, so thanks for that Sacro.
    Ill try and post an image up.

Thanks every one.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  16. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A couple clarifying questions . . .

How many sticks of memory do you have? If you have more than one, have you removed all but one (hopefully removing the one giving you problems) and tried to turn it on? If so, do you get the same errors?

How many DIMMS do you have? Have you tried reseating one stick of memory in different DIMMs?

Is your computer a home-built computer, or is it a brand-name computer? If so, what is the brand-name and model number? That will help us determine the MOBO and find out the POST error codes.

17. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

I only have one stick-4gb I have two slots and have tried the RAM in each of them. Its a brand. If it is the CPU or the motherboard, how much is it likely to cost to get a new one?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  18. Dye

Dye Second Year DLP Supporter

The price of a new CPU depends on what hardware you have. To determine what hardware you have you have to tell us the model number and manufacturer of your PC.

When you reinserted the RAM did you make sure the hole in the ram was lined up with the notch in the slot. It may sound like a stupid question bout I know people who have destroyed their RAM that way.

EDIT: If you RAM is damaged you can get another 4GB stick for £45 if its DDR3. If its DDR2 you could get a stick for even less

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  19. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What brand? Can you see something on the board retaining the chip, or is it soldered on (lots of rumors about desktop soldered boards, but haven't ran into one myself). If it's the later, you'd have to buy both. If it's the former, you can just buy one or the other.

Pricewise, we need to know what kind of chip you have (want) and what you're planning on doing with the board before any kind of price can be given. You can MOBOS anywhere from $35 to over $1000, depending on what you want, and pretty much the same for chips.

20. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

Found the model. HP Pavilion P6 series model no. p6-2022uk http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03013679

It says the mother board is made by Foxconn, and a picture of it is shown.

As to the motherboard and CPU I don't really know anything about them to say what I want, I was happy with what I had as it worked fine. At the moment I'm looking to upgrade the RAM to maybe 8, get a graphics card as the one that I got didn't work properly,and maybe increase the power supply, other then that I'm not really sure.
    I'm taking it to PC world tomorrow to get it looked at.