1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Games you wish existed

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What games do you wish existed?

I would really love a kind of hybrid between a city simulator and a grand strategy.

Basically:

- Take the Sim City formula as the basis (as embodied by Cities: Skylines in modern times)

- Change the era so that you start in medieval times and that you slowly progress through technologies to the modern era.

- Add other cities that are other civilisations. It couldn't be a full global map because that would be absurd on both system requirements and management, so it'd have to be just a local region. Like the city states of northern Italy.

The idea is that combat wouldn't really be a major part of the game. Certainly you wouldn't be directing troop movements. Rather you're managing your city economically, politically, and socially.

There would be a military element, but it would be from a civ-management standpoint. I.e. it would be about building - barracks, stables, taxes, budget, unlockable technologies, social policies that determine military strength, that sort of stuff. So you do have to have a military, but there isn't a strategic element in terms of actually conducting combat.

The end result is that you have a city simulator that creates cities that are really unique in terms of layout, mix of architectural styles, etc in a very organic way, because your city has been shaped by its unique history.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Harry Potter VRRPG
    Star Wars VRRPG

3. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

A game where the AI actually deserves the term intelligence.

4. unorfind

unorfind Third Year

I'm really surprised about lack of Steampunk games of any kind this setting would work wonderfully in various Startegy type of games.

edit actually found Tactical diselpunk game on ps2 in style of Front Mission
    Ring of Red - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsnVtEZIMR4
    heh would also like to see more Tactical RPGs like FM or FFT back

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  5. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    A decent Final Fantasy installment would be a treat. Though what's the saying? 'You can never go home again.'

At this point it's as much the nostalgia as the stories, particularly FFVI through FFX.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Joe

Have you played Bravely Default? It's a 3DS title. It's the best Final Fantasy game that isn't named Final Fantasy.

7. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Half-Life 3

8. unorfind

unorfind Third Year

yeah I still listen to soundtracks from older FF brings back so many memories, the ost from FFIX is my favorite one.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  9. kix

kix First Year DLP Supporter

A Harry Potter RPG, like the Witcher 3 would be cool. A game with a lot of lore and quest and the freedom to develop a unique character. Not trapped in the trios world.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    An adaptation of the New Jedi Order books from the Star Wars Legends (old EU). They were very flawed books, but they didn't lack for awesome spectacle, which would translate very well into Halo with light sabers.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

A Star Wars RPG that lets you create a custom character from scratch, including choosing the race of said character from any number of species in the setting, preferably with the variety we were shown in Tales of the Jedi (within reason of course, no Celegian or any such nonsense), which could alter the way NPCs and the game world respond to you.

Gameplay would be hard as shit to pull off, since I feel most inclined towards the system they got set up in Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy and the fanmade mod Movie Battles 2 which, IMO, only improved upon it. That said, the action parts of the game don't have to exact copies of JO/JA/MB2, so long as they're a lot more engaging than what we had in the two KOTOR games.

I know that some people just plain don't like playing as a Force-user, but I'd want that for this game. It would be even better if it was possible to pull it off starting as a neutral party, neither Sith nor Jedi (or any of the other comparatively minor sects), and then choosing later on if you wanted to join one or the other, or got pushed into based on your actions in the game at one or another point in the story-arc.

Naturally, story would be important too in this kind of game.

I'm not sure which writer(s) I'd like to see working on the whole thing, but Avellone is the first one that comes to mind.

One important thing though: I don't want morality meters. I don't want to see any such thing in the game. It ruins the immersion. I don't want the players to be given some kind of spreadsheet where they can keep track of how they're doing in the game overall, I don't want them to get notifications whether they succeeded in charming someone or intimidating them. If it happens, it happens, you'll see it in the game and spoon-feeding the players with shit like "+15 to relations with XYZ character" would be an awful addition to the game.

Naturally, since you'd be starting the game as a relatively grown up character (let's say early or late 20s), that means there'd be some background building, some kind of profession in which the character dabbled in before finding out about their Force potential, a past of their own, so there'd be a few sections of the game in the very beginning showing how your character grew up and how some of the events they witnessed or participated in shaped them.

More importantly than that though is me wanting to see and explore the galaxy. I'm not expecting literally hundreds of worlds to be wide open, but at least those areas that are available should be memorable. They should be more than just a short stop on your way towards the end of the game, whatever that may be.

I want to get the chance to explore Korriban's tombs, I want to have the option to try and get some artifacts or riches from the places that litter its surface. I want danger, I want traps and more than one way of getting past them. I want to go through the jungles of Dxun, with more than just standard stuff, I want to be forced to climb up trees to make it through, I want to see and experience the game world something really alive, rather than just pretty background to take screenshots of. I want my character to have to sleep, but not without taking necessary precautions. I want to visit both the backwater worlds and the most up-to-date ones, maybe even Coruscant, if need be.

I want to see different starting points for the player's character, something like what DA: Origins had, if fleshed out significantly more rather than just making it a prologue chapter in the game.

The starting points would depend on the race and background of your character, so if you choose Twi'lek, it doesn't necessarily mean you're automatically starting on Ryloth, or if you go Zabrak, that doesn't mean the first place you see will be Iridonia, and so on.

The ideal era for all of this would be between the Great Hyperspace War and the Great Sith War, which is a period of a thousand years to choose from, so a lot of stuff could happen and none of this would have to interact with any of the known events people are familiar with. But again, it doesn't mean that the game would have to tread carefully around some invisible boundary, because this wouldn't change anything officially, it would be just a game to enjoy and nothing more.

Player-owned spaceships are a must. But nothing of the sort like we'd seen thus far in the games. I want this to be more faithful to the Tales of the Jedi style, with something like Starbreaker 12 being an option for the players, among many others. The key thing is to not just give the players reskinned or slightly altered version of the Falcon or any of the other ships that are well known throughout the fandom.

Of course, this game will never exist because it would take a lot of money to make and it would require taking a risk.

12. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Age of Empires 4

13. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm...

Good ones so far, I'd like to see a sequel to FF6 or Portal.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Crash Bandicoot 4.

There were three good Crash games:

Crash Bandicoot.
    Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back.
    Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped.

ALL other Crash games were terrible. All of them.

So, I wish a good Crash 4 was made.

15. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A KOTOR 3 or a remake of the first two, with modern graphic, modding options but with the same game system.

A real open world HP RPG where you are not Harry Potter, but an unique character. Maybe with Kotor like system it would work?

Finally an unique MMORPG where your character is truly unique and there are no builds and stuff, your character what you manage to make.

16. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

A decent open world co-op RPG. I'm thinking something like Skyrim, with a better crafting system, better magic, and the ability to make decent houses/guildhalls wherever you wanted (possibly including the ability to modify the landscape to a degree) mixed with Divinity: Original Sin.

An open world pirate game, with decent sword play mechanics and an interesting world to explore.

Fallout 4 made by Obsidian.

Another good Ratchet and Clank game, and the same for Jak and Daxter. Everything after 3 has been mediocre at best for the former, and even two and three are up in the air for the latter.

And another Saints Row closer to SR2 then Three.

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

18. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'd have to say Crash Bandicoot 4 for PS4 (or just a remake) would be something I'd immediately buy. Another sequel I've been dying for comes out on 2.23 with Plants vs Zombies 2 (if anyone wants to play with me sometime, I'd be glad to Chemist your Sunflower all day).

Obviously I must mention Final Fantasy 7 remake is the game I've always wanted that I thought might actually be made. No Man's Sky is also one of those, though there is substantial room for failure if it doesn't deliver on all its promise.

Lots of people are saying Harry Potter RPG but my dream game would be made by Jonathan Blow (of The Witness, Braid). The character explores Hogwarts and is captivated by the puzzles, history, lore and is encouraged to interact with students/portraits and learn magic spells along the way. You would have to use the control as a wand (left stick, half-circle) and press the button at the right time to correctly learn the spell. After that, it can be set as one of your options to use automatically.

The conflict of the books would be minimalized with exploring the castle and solving the puzzles being the main point, perhaps dueling and Quidditch would also be major parts of the game. Mostly it would be puzzle solving to advance through the years, opening different parts of the castle/the grounds as you go along.

Getting to see the Chamber of Secrets, going underwater as a fourth year in the Merfolk's village, getting to see Hogsmeade (and the Shrieking Shack) in third year, etc. would be really cool, even if the parts not related to Hogwarts (Ministry of Magic, Grimmauld Place) weren't in the game.

19. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

A new, good MMORPG that takes inspiration from vanilla WoW, but fixes up some of the obvious deficiencies with the game. So, a world that does not feel so streamlined and tailored to the player and without stuff such as dungeon finders and flying mounts that kills the mmo aspect of the game.

20. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Stellaris, a star wars rpg that Odran wrote about, Kotor 3 and ck3.