1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Preacher

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Shinysavage, May 23, 2016.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I thought we had a thread on this, if I'm honest, but I can't find it.

So yeah, started last night, being broadcast on AMC and Amazon Prime a day later. I really enjoyed it, more than I was expecting to - I'm a big fan of the comic, and I wasn't sure how they were going to pull it off. Looks like there's going to be a lot of changes, but they've certainly captured the spirit of the comic. Joe Gilgun as Cassidy and Dominic Cooper as Jesse are inspired casting; Ruth Negga as Tulip doesn't seem much like the comic Tulip beyond being badass and a criminal, but she is spectacular, so it's all good.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can you tell us a bit about what it is about? I've never heard of this before.

3. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Yeah, that would probably help, wouldn't it? Sorry!

Jesse Custer (Dominic Cooper) is in theory the preacher in Annville, Texas, but he's really a barely restrained alcoholic, chain-smoking cowboy with little to no faith in his flock or in God.
    Cassidy (Joe Gilgun) is his best friend, who happens to be a vampire.
    Tulip (Ruth Negga) is his hitwoman ex.

The comic revolves around Jesse being possessed by Genesis, the bastard offspring of a demon and an angel, which gives him the power of the Word of God - ie: the power to make people do whatever he wants. He decides to use it to track down God and bring him to account for his crimes against humanity. With full supporting cast of serial killers, small town racists, perverts, global conspiracies, the KKK, angels, demons, and the Saint of Killers.

And, of course, Arseface, who's far more charming than his appearance suggests.

It's not entirely clear how much of the plot will be carried over; the central trio are there, as is Genesis, but beyond that it's a bit vague at the moment.

Trailer.
    The first four minutes of the show.

4. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

Watched it today and thought it was surreal, atmospheric and unpredictable. If you liked Justified's "hillbilly" environment it feels sort of similar only in Texas and more sweat.

The car scene with Tulip is hilarious.

If they keep this style and quality I'm hooked.

P.S. Don't know the comic.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I loved the comic series. Garth Ennis <3

This is a good 5 minute featurette about the TV series, including show footage and some interviews with cast and crew. I had no idea that Seth Rogan was a producer until now. https://youtu.be/Jg5dnedmoo4

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    First episode was excellent. AMC continues to impress me.

7. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just watched the Pilot and I fucking loved it, the brutal fight scene in the bar, Tulips fucking hilarious intro, Tom Cruise dying and just everything else. If they keep up this level of quality I am going to be utterly hooked on this show.

8. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    Daamnn! Goddamn is that show amazing! Watched Pilot and I have to say, this is pretty fucking cool. Might just be my next big thing. Thanks for posting this here.

9. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I had heard about this, and after you mentioned it, Shiny, and I saw the trailer and first few minutes, I was very skeptical, but I have to say I was really impressed by the pilot. All of the descriptions didn't make me more interested in watching it, but I'm glad I did.

I disagree with Snapdragon that the Texas scenes were like Justified's Harlan County scenes. Maybe a bit in terms of accents and small town setting, but it never had the feeling of unrecoverable depressing poverty that Justified does, just actual small town most part (having lived a small rural towns, there is a difference).

It also didn't seem super comic-booky, which was good in my book. More of a slightly-paranormal, but in a modern TV sort of way that I enjoyed.

The whole "alcoholic preacher" wasn't overdone, which I appreciate. It wasn't so over the top that it's hard to watch. He obviously has a troubled backstory, but I'm legitimately not going to read the backstory so as to spoil it for me.

More in spoilers.

I love Cassidy the Vampire already. Awesome intro, and I love the Irish and his general disposition. I think he'll be a good character.

Tulip had an awesome intro, and I'm interested to see where she goes.

The kid with the weird mouth was legitimately the most comic-booky element, but was strangely compelling, so I'll withhold judgment for now.

Loved the bar-beat down.

The demon/whatever exploding hosts it didn't like, starting with the African preacher, and going on through the Russian Orthodox and then Tom Cruise, I found hilarious. Apparently Jesse is conflicted enough to survive.

I legitimately like Emily more than Tulip as character, so GoT has conditioned me to expect a bad end for her. I assume she'll be Jesse's conscious for a while though, so I guess she'll live for at least a while longer.

Jesse will need to work on what he says, though. "Open your heart" indeed.
    AMC has done some good story-telling with The Walking Dead (which I abandoned after two seasons), Fear the Walking Dead (which I abandoned after a season and a half), and Breaking Bad (which I could never get into), and the railroad one, which I never got into, but I know people who did. I'm willing to give this one a try.

EDIT: Just realized that Jesse's actor played old Howard Stark in the first Captain America and Agent Carter. I like that. Thought he was good in those roles, and didn't like Sterling's Gold replacing him in Marvel. Makes me like him more.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  10. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I'm cautiously optimistic. High points of this pilot were probably Cassidy, Tulip's awesome intro, and the bar fight, but there were definitely some weak points. The kid with the fucked-up mouth didn't seem to really tie into anything and I'm not sure why time was spent on him (I assume it'll come up later on, but it seemed a bit weird in the context of just this episode).

I'm not a hundred percent sold on the actor for Jesse. That may change in time, but I didn't really feel a sense of connection with the character the way I did immediately with Tulip and Cassidy.

Also -- and this may be because it's a pilot -- some of the dialogue came across as fairly... wooden, I guess? Particularly the ending speech Jesse gives to the congregation. It feels as if this is supposed to be some uplifting moment that will give hope to all these people as Jesse finds his purpose, but the speech itself just wasn't that good.

11. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Not a comic reader but im pretty excited to watch this series. The pilot was very very watchable and entertaining.

I know a bit about the plot from secondhand stories but im interested to see how it turns out in the show!

12. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I read a summary of the comic years ago and something in the premise or ending didn't sit well with me. Since I can't be sure I'm not going to bother looking it up again to clarify, but I enjoyed the pilot and I'm looking forward to more of the show.

13. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Decent episode - not as good as the pilot, but decent. Cassidy continues to prove entertaining and his 'o no no no no' moment when the chainsaw was still creeping toward Jessie was great. I'm going to assume the guys he killed are
    angels since we saw them at the end again talking to the cop?

I didn't catch on to the bus driver and Jessie's looks every time the bus drove by until he started rolling up his sleeves in the guy's house.

14. The Berkeley Hunt

I kind of wish the show would move a bit faster, I can sense some batshit crazy stuff around the corner.

That said, pretty good episode, still setting up some characters like the flashback at the start. Tulip and Cassidy are very entertaining.

15. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Beyond pleased with the way they did the Saint (who appears to be called the Cowboy here). Here's hoping they keep it up once he makes his appearance proper.
    @Zenzao:
    They're either angels or members of the Grail, a secret and incredibly powerful and influential group from the comics. I'd assumed angels given their reappearance at the end, but one of the reviews I read described that as a flashback, which I hadn't picked up on. If so, then they're probably Grail.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  16. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe I'm wrong but I rather got the impression that it was a flashback when it showed the two guys at the end to set up the idea that very bad shit is about to go down on account of the whole them being violently dispossessed of their limbs and whatnot.

17. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

If it was a flashback, then it was horribly placed.

18. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Can't wait until the third episode. He has to be more careful how he phrases his "word-of-god" commands, when he finds out what happened to Ted. Wait, didn't some people talk about it in the second episode?

19. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Having looked at the shows IMDB page, the two 'Government' guys that Cassidy killed are called Fiore and DeBlanc
    who were angels in the comics
    so I'm leaning less towards flashback now.

20. The Berkeley Hunt

I have no idea what being an angel would entail on this show, especially given their decidedly weird actions so far. And I like it.