1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Serious Short Story Challenge (i.e. Plot is necessary, not just smut)

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Nuhuh, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Dresden Oneshot Challenges'

Alright, some of you have seen these before, being members of BD too, but since this place is more active (understatement), I am posting it here as well.

Because the goal is more fanfiction.

Challenge! Accept! Write!

---------​

By the powers vested in me I challenge Vash the Unholy to a one shot of doom!

Borne of our brainstorming on something else entirely (as far as I can remember, it was late and I was tired)

What if in Small Favor Dresden's rage got the better of him on his mission to rescue Ivy, What if seeing a helpless girl tortured and a loyal friend murdered got too much, and he reached into the darkness to find a familiar fallen angel?

---------​

By the powers I freely abuse, I challenge The Man of Many Names, Surrarin to survive the crucible of a one shot!

In an unusual turn of events Charity Carpenter visits Dresden with Molly in his office (Pre proven guilty). Molly and her girlfriends have a problem, Charity thinks Dresden can help, Molly doesn't want to be there.

It's the case of the elusive panties thief!
    (spoilers available in the special members section)

---------​

By the powers wielded sexily, I challenge The one armed with edged words of steel, Tinnari the Frenchmaidto walk the one shot firepit!

By unlucky coincidence, two women who love(d) Harry Dresden become trapped in a place, stuck between the forces of the White Council and Red Court. While both siding with White Council, reluctantly or fully, the women soon become adversaries learning of their histories with the same man. Cutting into the other for their failures as a lover, how will they spend the night, when creatures of darkness could attack at any moment.

A glimpse into the hearts of Susan and Elaine, and who will go further to protect Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden.

...and so it begins! muhahaha!

---------​

From Vash:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  2. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

One hell of a catfight coming.

Accepted. Will get to it as soon as I can stop studying without instantly falling asleep -- I swear I'm suffering from narcolepsia.

Anyway, are we going to be the only three writing something? No one else up for a accepting or giving a challenge?

3. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:

That was bothering me. I'm not a grammar Nazi or anything, but names are very important, and I think Copperfield before Blackstone sounds terrible. :rolleyes:

4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You resurrect an eight year old thread to point out an extremely minor mistake and you claim you're not a grammar nazi.

Maybe you're just a tool.

5. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:
    It's at the top of the list in any case, so it's not really a resurrection is it? IE: How can you Necro a stickied topic? Delete it before you reprimand me. That's the very least you could do before you start name calling.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  6. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Next time, pm the OP if you have to absolutely correct something from EIGHT years ago. Jesus.

In general, if you are posting in a stickied thread after it's been dead, have something extremely relevant to post that enriches the experience of the board.

In this case a response to one of the challenges might have been awesome.

7. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:
    You're right, I hear you. In penance I shall write up something tonight after work. Deal?

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I think I speak for most of DLP when I say that Dresden/Molly is the one true pairing. Hint hint.

9. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I ship Dresden/zombie-Rex.

10. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dresden/Maeve or bust. Now if only that one guy had ever gotten around to finishing that second chapter several years past due...

11. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You heathens clearly have forgotten the true path. Yes, Molly is lush and more realistic but...

Dresden/Inari OTP.

12. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:
    Dresden + Susan and a little magic rope beats any of that, and it actually happened :D

13. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Stop teasing us Zenzao, you monster! :(

14. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

It's been quite a while since I typed anything up, but this caught my fancy. I din't go far with it, and I honestly haven't even looked it over since I typed it up this morning. I need to look at it with fresh eyes, but I also needed something to get me back into the Dresden mindset.

-----​

It hadn’t been a good day. Something of an understatement really. Ivy was a friend of mine, and more than that was a young girl. Seeing her be spun, drugged, and tortured at a psychological level hell, a physical level, it was enough to ensure that my rage hadn't been entirely feigned.

I'd had a plan, and it had been going well. Too well. Things always went downhill right before the end. What was happening now, well it was just par for the course. Except that it was Michael this time and not me that was shot. Michael that was bleeding, miles from a hospital, filled with a rain of bullets.

Michael wasn't just a friend. He'd been there in some of my darkest hours. He'd seen me through some of the most horrific things that I'd seen, and done. In every moment, every time, he had proven that he was not just there for me, not just that he would have my back, but that he believed in me. He'd be willing to take a bullet for me, but this?

This could be final.

I have a darker side. Some would say that it's been a part of me since I broke the first law. Others would say that the darkness in me was always there, and that the black magic focused onto it. I've always held it at bay, always resisted it, but it's been far from easy. Winter has tried to recruit me, the Darkhallow was literally moments from culmination in front of me, and I resisted both. I had the shadow of a fallen angel in my mind for years, coming close to me, seducing me, and increasing her offers year in and out.

I'd never given he an inch of ground, not truly. Instead for ever bit of ground she gave, I had changed her at a deep level, altering her over time till she was nearly an independent entity. Nicodemus himself had openly stated that she worked at odds to him, and noted that I had seemed a fitting host- also noting that he'd been holding onto the coin for some time in anticipation of locating the proper bearer. The Knights of the Cross called her the Webweaver, Temptress. But they had also said that she was constantly at odds with the other twenty-nine of the Order of the Blackened Denarius.

At this point, that sounded exactly like what I needed.

If it had been a normal summoning I would have drawn a circle, imposed my will, invoked my power and spoke her name three times. Not for this. Not for her. Lash had left me with many things, and among them was a bit more of her true name. I didn't need anything but my own mind to draw a circle, burning with incandescent fury. I knew Lasciel. I reached out to her, and with sweeping motions inside my mind, drew the symbol of an inverted hourglass in soulfire.

A sudden burning in my left hand alerted me that I had her attention. I held in the forefront of my mind what had happened that night, everything from the aquarium forward, focusing on the parts that gave me the most rage.

Her presence was as I remembered. A subtle moving of power, a brush of her against my very soul, and then a mix of emotions pushed over me. Distaste for Michael, coupled with respect. Caution for the Archive's immense power, tied to anger at her treatment. And when I thought of the other Denarians, well, hatred seemed tame. I hadn't realized that when Nicodemus had said she worked against them and their goals that it was so personal.

Underlying all of that was how she felt about me. Anger at being denied for so long, matched with the sense of loss of her shadow. It was covered over by a sense of satisfaction and foreboding. I was sure we'd be talking about this later.

It had only been a breath since Tess had stopped shooting, a heartbeat since the chopper had flown. Fire came naturally to me, fire that Mab had taken from my memory to prevent Summer from locating me. My blasting rod wasn't here, but then, Lash had always been willing to aid me with spells, and I had just called her final form up for aid.

Tessa never even had a chance to scream. Fire exploded from her, blazing hotter and hotter, smelling of brimstone. Distantly I knew that if Lasciel hadn't been the one pouring this out I'd be in danger of the first law again, so I put a bullet into her head. And then I burned the corpse till ashes and a coin remained.

The second Denarian, Rosanna, looked at me and shrieked, a long undulating cry, fingers clenched into clawlike hands, cloven hooves launching her high.

As I've said before, once you are in the air, you're at the mercy of physics. I swung my staff like a bat, breathing out a swift smooth exhalation as I did, wind magic conjured at my breath. The staff and the evocation hit her like a truck, a truck that resembled a comet of fire and pain. She went flying back to the trees and hit one with a dull thump.

I don't like hurting women. But I'd taken the measure of the creature before me and knew that she was beyond me. I wasn't a Knight of the Cross. Not here for her redemption. She'd just hurt two people I cared about, had a solid hand in both of them actually. Her pained eyes looked up at me, and I noted that the way her fingers were twitching and her feet were not she probably had some form of spinal damage. I crushed her throat with my staff, a crackling sound and horrified eyes ensureing that I'd have fresh nightmare fuel. Fire played out again leaving ashes and a coin, which I picked up and put in with the others.

The bag was not there.

Lasciel swept through the events of the night with dizzying swiftness, and located Thorned Namshiel. Tessa's coin joined Rosanna's and I went striding toward the body of Namshiel, when I heard a footstep that sounded like thunder.

Eldest Gruff.

-----​

This is all tied to how I view a Dresden that picks up the coin would interact with Lasciel, and how she would reach in and begin drawing him in.