1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pinnacles of FanFiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by iamnotreal, Aug 4, 2016.

1. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    Don't often make threads but I was wondering if anyone ever felt the same way about this particular topic.

Recently found a bunch of fan made pokemon games through random browsing (side note: alot of them are fantastically made, and there are a fair few of them as well, but I digress), and decided on a lark to browse the FF section and have a few laughs at what I thought would be terribly childish stories.

The first story I found by sorting by Fav's and chose this one at random: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7354757/1/The-Game-of-Champions

It was utterly fantastic, in every way for a story to be I thought. Or maybe I just had low expectations, but still. Worldbuilding, humor, character development, overarching plots, interesting narrative style, grammar, punctuation, fantastic battle scenes, engaging dialogue. I was completely blown away by how professional this story was and how maturely it handled the (PGish) pkmn world and transformed it into something exciting and completely malevolent, alien but utterly engrossing and real.

It isn't complete and hasn't been updated in a year; but I was so pumped. Fuck yeah! This wasn't even the top of the list, I can't wait to read more quality stories like this, I thought!

How hopelessly naive. Every other story I tried to read was utter trash compared to this one, I felt like it completely ruined every other story for me. They either were terrible technically or suffered from I guess we could term it as Game Syndrome (who wants to read battle scenes that go, PKMN X : USE Y, NOW PKMN Z : USE A) Holy shit. Terrible. BUt then again it is how the canon works so it is what it is. Other issues noticeable at but a glance included the good ol' !Powerful!Sue!Master Character and standard re-hash.

It was honestly eye opening how much one story (In my opinion, of course. I have hardly read a wide selection either) can stand so far above every other story within its designation. I truly lack an appropriate metaphor as to describe how wide the divide is between this story and others.

Anyone else encounter something similar and have opposing/identical thoughts?

2. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

FYI Game of Champions is written by DLP user Lamora who has a more up-to-date (I think about 1 more chapters worth) version in the Misc. Work By Author section.

3. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

In most fandoms I can't really think of a pinnacle. Especially with any fandom that has a few thousand fics. There's bound to be a bunch of masterpieces in there, by the standards of fanfiction at least. Mostly, those "pinnacle" types only exist (IMO, obviously) in really small fandoms, or fandoms where everything is shit.

BTW, I'd recommend checking out this thread. It's basically this thread, but from exactly two years ago.

4. fire

fire Order Member

Pokémon
    Game of Champions, by Lamora

The Gentleman of Weapons, by Menamebephil

Bleach
    Hammered Down, by Tomas the Betrayer

Codename: Kids Next Door
    Operation - There Is No Operation, by Karkadinn

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
    Ephemeral, by Sarsparilla

Naruto
    Shinobi: Team 7, by Gallyrat

Oregairu
    Even Hikigaya Hachiman can write a Love Letter, by God Emperor Penguin

Rosario + Vampire
    He Who Fights Monsters, by Hawker-748

Worm
    Cenotaph, by Notes

Dragon Age
    Blight-Queller, by me

5. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  6. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

I disagree with this one. For one, the Naruto fandom has too many fics, a lot of them considered good, so mentioning just one and claiming it to be the best... a lot of people would probably object and propose another one instead. It is the kind of fandom that you can't just pick a fic as its pinacle.

Secondly because said pinacle is obviously this one:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1799754/1/Dear-Foolish-Little-Brother

7. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

8. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

If we're going for silly Itachi, then the friendship duck story is the only one that really comes to mind.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2703937/1/Friendship-Story

If we're going for a genuine attempt to make Naruto a character beyond "Believe it", then there are a few to mention, and they're brought up every time the 'best in fandom X' topic comes around.

Life in Konoha's ANBU, https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7977390/1/Life-in-Konoha-s-ANBU by Shezza.

Other recent authors of note are Inert, Menace, and Roarian, though individual tastes can vary.

9. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    The Black Prince by cxjenious is the best harry potterx GOTs https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11098283/1/The-Black-Prince

TSA: The Amazing SpiderMan vol 1 By: Nomad88: Best spiderman hands down, over 1,000,000,000 words and 3 volumes and still going.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5792501/1/TSA-The-Amazing-SpiderMan-vol-1

Traveler by The Straight Elf best pokemon https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8466693/1/Traveler

Less Than Zero by Kenchi618 best DC original Character https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10362076/1/Less-Than-Zero

A Second Chance by Kronos89 best Highschool DXD x Fate Night Cross overhttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/10239849/1/A-Second-Chance

I am just to lazy to get the rest

10. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I agree with most so far. Here's some that hasn't been mentioned yet

Mass Effect:

Interstitium

Legend of Korra:

Spin the Rails Series

The Last Airbender:

Of Gods and Men and its sequel He's Only a Child. It's Aang/Azula so YMMV.

And while I agree with fire about Blight-Queller, my number two is Mala Suledin Nadas. It's about a very young, very adorable, very hyper elven mage. It's great fun to read. My number three would be Corin. It has it's problems, but it's probably number3 in a fandom that should be far, far better than it is.

Read some of those lol. I've submitted Mala Suledin Nadas and Spin the Rails. They made it to the library but with like 3 votes a piece.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  12. fire

fire Order Member

The 2nd-best Pokémon fanfic is clearly Under the Same Sky. Not as epic or as ambitious as Lamora's GoC, but it's a work of art itself, finely-crafted and moving.

Edit:
    @MonkeyEpoxy I probably should submit BQ for the DLP Library, since it's now buried in Misc WBA and hard to find, but it's always awkward self-reccing.

13. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    @Ceebee, Thanks for that link mate! Was really good to be able to read a bit more of that story!
    @Pure Infinity, Thanks as well for that link, it's exactly the kind of thread I was looking for. I'm glad to see others feel similarly. I was honestly laughing by the time I finished reading the first few chapters of other pokemon stories, the disparity in quality is so large it's absurd. To be fair 'Under the Same Sky' is quite good, but 'Sun Soul', No. Fucking. Way. Didn't like that one at all.

I agree though as the number of stories increases the likelihood of their being one so clearly beyond all the rest is minuscule. The sheer variety of different genres of stories that will be developed can't be compared truly equally, after all the aims of many of these will be vastly different.

That being said, over 80k stories exist in the PKMN branch of FFN and it sits at the top of the list. Literally one story dumps on essentially every other one I tried reading, but there's an exception to everything, I guess.
    Steelbadger to be fair, this guy wrote a bunch of HP/LOTR crosses that utterly annihilate the competition in such a similar way to the Lamora bloke. But I haven't read any pure LOTR stories so it isn't quite the same. Still, it was painful to read any other story in the same category after so much that I honestly felt like wincing as I read some others attempts. There was one other though written by someone else that started good but only had 3 chapters, oh well :s.

14. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  15. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

16. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    Man, thought it was going to be a link too an actual picture. Much to my surprise, I'm actually curious what your face did look like, maybe aussie slang is a bit weird to to others but it's a pretty common saying over here

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  17. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For Pokemon fics, Zeitgeist's Under the Same Sky which can be found in the wba is quite fantastic.

18. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

I wasn't aware that you guys were still talking about that Pokemon Fanfic, but I'm quite flattered. fire, I wasn't trying to emulate Lamora's GoC because our fanfics could be construed as covering very different subject matters and different scopes, but I appreciate the compliment. Any discussion of Gen V and of UtSS makes me smile.

19. fire

fire Order Member

Hi Zeitgeist. Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that you were trying to emulate GoC - I think it's clear that you weren't. Yours is a far more introspective story, with vastly different concerns - not about how a legend is made, but rather about love and loss and grief.

Incidentally, you mentioned in your Summersong fic that you're getting back to UTSS eventually - what will the sequel be about? Do you have any intentions for any other pokemon fics (perhaps on Sixth Gen?), or even non-Pokémon fics?