1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

computer issues

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Anarchy, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

So, I've been having slightly annoying computer issues for awhile. Not really sure what the cause is, and I can't really remember when it started happening. It's about 2 years old (thread about the computer).

1) Computer randomly decides to freeze. Like, you go to load a website, and it just won't do it, while websites that i'm currently on work fine. Like, if I'm on reddit, I can browse it normally, but if I go to open up a second instance, it will take minutes to load. It's not an internet problem, could be google chrome. It does eventually load, but the whole thing feels like it was hung up on something. Could be an extension problem or something, but some of the other stuff going on below makes me think it might be more.

2)Programs themselves seem to hiccup before loading. I can say, open minecraft, and it will take minutes before initializing (the mouse cursor will change to the hourglass or whatever the loading symbol is, and stay that way). Keep in mind that this doesn't happen all the time. When the computer is acting normally, it's blazing fast. Eventually, all the stuff will start up.

3) Computer doesn't shut down. So, I can go to start menu and hit shut down. It will go through it, and will either get stuck on the shutting down screen, or everything will turn off, yet the computer itself is still on. I have to force a proper shut down with the power button.

The weird thing is, that if I turn the computer off and then back on, it's back to normal for a day or two before it starts doing it again. And yes, I've run virus scans and cccleaner.

So, I'm guessing theirs two options for culprits - windows 10, or a slow hardware failure. Thoughts?

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

main hdd size/type/capacity?

3. Anarchy

4. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Would it be possible to see graphs of your CPU/RAM/Disk Write loads during the problems in question? From your last statement, it almost seems like it's being caused by a memory leak (assuming that you like to leave your computer on for long periods of time).

5. Anarchy

I put it in sleep mode every night, and am having to completely turn it off because of this problem maybe every three days at this point. I only use it about 4 hours a day, between sleep and work. Might be able to get a graph, but when the problem is happening, nothing is really working other than what is already loaded.

6. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Definitely sounds like a memory leak then. I've come across one instance of this in Windows 10, with ntoskrnl.exe eating up my RAM as if it were cosplayong Chrome. Updating my network drivers seemed to fix it, but that might not be for definite.