1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Havoc Side of the Force by Tsu Doh Nimh - T - HP/Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Hw597, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I presume that in the future we're going to find out that's he has been mind controlled or some bullshit to justify the straight up OOC.

2. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Palpatine does have Bellatrix, it's not impossible that she's responsible for the mind control. Alternately Mundi has learned of Bellatrix imperiusing people and believes it's Harry.

3. cash0maker

cash0maker Third Year

His brains also account for his, sometimes extreme, skepticism. His two brains caused him to be overly analytical, so that while one brain assessed a certain scenario, his other brain was accounting for a completely different one.

This could be the reason for his behavior but that's really streching it.

4. RedSkys

RedSkys Squib

High Score:
    Ki Adi definitely reads very OOC will be interesting to see the reasoning for it.

As stated before though its only the companion piece, solely meant to fill in the gaps of the main story. Its not meant to progress; just show from a different angle.

Well worth the read.

5. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

What's pretentious is so many making sweeping statements that the latest chapter is trash or unworthy of even 5 min of your attention to read.

You are reading a fic where by the nature of it's crossover leads to justifiable curbstomp. You are literally reading the Michael Bay equivalent of a fanfiction and you're whining about literary standards.

As someone else pointed out, this isn't part of the main story, it's actually okay to not progress the plot with every single scene if it fulfills a purpose and it does. We see what ripples Harry cause.

This fic does what it sets out to do. Harry unapologetically kicking ass, if that's not for you, who gives a shit. I usually hate people saying don't read if you don't like, in defence of actual terrible writing but holy shit the self importance of some people.

6. Jon

You're taking people not liking it a bit personally mate. Do you have a personal stake in this?

7. cash0maker

cash0maker Third Year

I just got through reading the chapter again, and it did hint at Mundi thinking two things at ones, quite strongly even. If you go through the chapter with the knowledge that, he is thinking of Sinube being mind controlled it does explain his behavior somewhat.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  8. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I don't really get the sudden negative vibrations about the story and the sidekick point of view. I'm actually glad he started again last year after a long delay and this isn't dead like so many others.

Whatever high standards some people have it's one of the few highlights remaining in the current sad state of HP fan fiction.

9. Jon

I think we need to clear up a misunderstanding that the 'negativity' is in regards to the recent update of 'The Unsuspecting Force' and the sheer info dump that came out of the Jedi's ass. It's reminiscent of a lot of bad fan fiction and leaves a really bad taste in the mouth.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The only problem with what you're saying is ... well, all of it. Your argument is bullshit. No one is attacking the author, or the story's premise. Just this specific chapter of the side-story.

It reads like (and IS) one of those terrible indy!Harry fics where characters discuss how terrible Harry's life is/has been and how wronged he's been by everyone and everything and how they never knew.

If that wasn't bad enough, this chapter, under this premise, literally has the Jedi pull all of this extremely accurate info out of his ass, with the flimsiest of bases by which to make conclusions.

It's bad writing, plain and simple. We get to call it out.

11. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This updated. Pretty great chapter, imo. Progress on several fronts.

12. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I just finished the latest chapter it was good, but forward movement was minimal at best.

13. Cirion E. G. Coewund

Cirion E. G. Coewund Squib

High Score:
    I entirely agree with the concerns about Ki Adi Mundi's portrayal. It definitely feels out of character. I suppose we'll see where that goes.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this story's Sidious will be a sufficient problem for the story to not ultimately be an exercise in power fantasy.

(From what I can tell, library topics are excluded from the 'necroposting' rule, but let me know if I misunderstood!)

14. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Well, Unsuspecting updated.

A bit more stuff going on in the background. More 'reacting to what Harry can do', furthering the Mundi side-plot, revelation of the real background of one of the side-characters, Anakin stuff.

I'd been assuming that Anakin was pulling off his pranks with the Force which was irritating. One of the things that bugs me about Harry Potter-style pranking stories set into alternate universes is when they somehow adapt systems that aren't conductive to that sort of thing, so the fact that Anakin is pulling this off by being really clever is great. Too many stories (even official ones) focus too much on his prowess as a Jedi and forget that any kid that young who could do the sort of things he did with droids has got a brain in his head. I also liked seeing that Anakin's getting mixed feelings about the Jedi Order and how they go about their business. This was always the case canonically (which lead to his fall) but his being exposed to that kind of world this soon into his training and with a potential escape could lead to a great derailment of the original plot.

15. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

It's interesting to see all this opposition piling up on the sidelines and I can't wait for it all to explode, hopefully that'll be the end of the onesided curbstomp and Harry will finally have to put in some effort. Even if Mundi is behaving ridiculously OOC it's nice to se there's atleast one sceptic on the council.

16. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This was leagues better than the previous one. Nothing too over the top, we get to see Anakin's intelligent side, etc. Cool, if short. Hopefully we'll get a main update soon.

17. Guest000

Guest000 Squib

High Score:
    Crossovers are one of my favorite types of fanfiction, if only for the plots to be spawned and the reactions to be had. This fic is one of the reasons why I enjoy it. Despite the OCC I feel from Harry, the plot and character interaction keep me sedated time after time. One can tell that the author is a fan of both franchises as they pull ideas from several different sources (mostly from star wars as it is much more expanded than harry potter). Overall a great story that has interesting conseptsand view on how the galaxy is working.

I haven't read the side story, should probably get on that, but aside from that this fic is a strong 4/5.

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Updated today!

And damn, that was a fun chapter. I was particularly fond of the last scene with Rostek, but we also got some HK, some Tobril, some Wookies, and a bit of jedi.

Nice chunk to read as well, coming in at around 12k. Got my blood pumping for another chapter.

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Pretty cool chapter, at least after we got through the CK2-Star Wars intro at the start. Rest was pretty fun.

I dunno, Kenobi in this story cracks me up. He's pretty cool.

20. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

I just read this for the first time yesterday and it updates today. HK's views on economics is the best part of this chapter. Solid work, glad too see the Author update.