1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sun and Moon

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by PomMan, Feb 26, 2016.

?

Which version are you planning to get?

1. Sun

48.8%
  2. Moon

51.2%
  1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finished the main storyline and I'm conflicted.

I'd just like to say that this is an amazing game, a lot better than X/Y and leaps and bounds ahead of B/W.

It didn't feel like the main storyline was suffocating me and largely focused on your journey to become Island Champion. In previous gens the story was shoved in your face again and again until it was annoying.

On the other hand, I'd like chances for a small break between cutscenes. After beating the League it felt like a solid half hour before I was in control of my character again, leading me to destroy Tapu Koko without bothering to try to catch it. And then more cutscenes.

A chance to save and put down the game would have been nice.

Perhaps I was just salty. I went to the league under levelled and wiped out. Convinced it was mostly down to bad hax, I tried again, only to be beaten down even worse than before.

Still though, I beat it on the third time without grinding due to sheer pig ignorance.

That marked the third and fourth time I'd wiped out in the playthrough.

I literally can't remember the last time I wiped out that wasn't a Nuzlocke. I'm talking well over a decade ago.

It's not a complaint, if anything its a mark of how much the game has improved this gen. There are times it actually felt like a challenge, when I realised that my overconfidence fucked me in the face of certain totem Pokemon my team had no answer to.

That brings me to my team, the most conflicting thing of all.

I chose Rowlett and named it Arkarch. It was a boss the entire playthrough until I accidentally didn't learn Spirit Shackle. Then it was mostly dead weight relying on Bloom Doom before I got Shadow Claw and eventually got to the relearner.

I caught the obligatory Pikipek I named Franz. He just looked like a Franz. I considered dumping Franz a lot during the late game but his attack was insane, his moves powerful and versatile and every time he looked over his shoulder and gave me the stink eye in battle I said, "Chill, you can stay."

I used the mystery gift Munchlax that I named BigSmoke. It had Giga Impact, Rest, Sleep Talk and Heavy slam. He was a damn troll and I loved him. "All you had to do was follow the damn train, CJ!"

Next I got a female Salandit I named Freya. After Salazzle raping my safe space in the trial I needed one. Nasty plot, Flamethrower, Venoshock and Toxic. The glassiest of cannons.

Needed a water type so I picked up a Poliwag. This was simply because I came across it and hadn't used a poli since Politoed in Silver. He was named Mamoa and because I didn't find the TM for Waterfall he was largely dead weight.

I spent most of the game with my 6th slot empty because I wanted a Drampa. I wanted a Drampa real fuckin' bad.

Eventually I got one right before the Pokemon League, named it Lung and it was amazing.

Still though, I finished the main game with a feeling of emptiness. I'd been wiped by the league and only gotten through it because of my huge healing item reserves. It felt like I cheated. There wasn't any glory to it.

It didn't help that there were so many Pokemon I'd wanted to use. That free Aerodactyl, Alolan Golem and Marowak, Wishiwashi, Mareani, Oranguru, Jango Fett, Zygarde. The list goes on.

I felt really empty after the main story and I've deleted my save. I'm starting again and I'm not sure whether to Nuzlocke or have another casual playthrough.

My problem is that a lot of the Pokemon I want to use are late game. That Drampa/Alolan Vulpix shit really annoyed me.

In the end though I suppose it's a good thing. I can't remember the last time I finished a Pokemon game and turned around, desperate to play it again straight away.

The trials were great, btw. That fire trial genuinely had me in stitches laughing.

Despite my feeling of disappointment at the end of the game it's still a solid 10/10 for me. Anything I did wrong was my fault, not the game's.

Can't wait for Stars.

EDIT:

Okay so I decided to try a Nuzlocke.

Before the first trial I've lost Lady the Ledyba, Scar the A-Meowth and Sookie the A-Ratatta.

WHAT THE HELL, ALOLA.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. weiyaoli

weiyaoli Third Year

Doesn't matter now since you already restarted as a Nuzlocke, but you could always find someone to trade you those Pokémon as eggs for the next time. (Zygarde not so much)

3. Seratin

High Score:
    I had considered that but ultimately decided against it. The compromise was to do a Wonderlocke but until the breeders grow in number and wonder trade levels out a bit I'd be at risk of receiving nothing but Magikarp. I'd say a month or so and Wonderlockes will be more doable.

4. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So I got my Destiny Knot (after three hours of Pick Up shenanigans) and I’m now drowning in Vulpix.

Anyone want one?

All of them are Timid, have Snow Warning, the egg moves Moonblast, Freeze Dry, and Hypnosis, and 3-4IVs. They’re also either in a Beast Ball or a Love Ball. I have both male and female and I’ve nicknamed all of them. If you want a different nickname or no nickname, tell me.

5. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I'd love one. If you don't have all the starters of this gen, I can pass you back any one of those.

6. Vira

High Score:
    A Rowlet would be great if you have a spare. My Friend Code is 3325-2527-7532.

Do you have a gender, nickname, or ball preference for your Vulpix?

7. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

My friend code is 1564-7117-5785

I'd prefer a female Vulpix, nickname and ball type I don't really have a preference.

8. Seratin

High Score:
    It should very clearly be called Daphne. It's a foxy ice queen after all.

9. Vira

High Score:
    Alright, I'm online. Whenever you're ready.

10. sildet

sildet Sixth Year

Just died on battle number 37 in the Battle Tree with a team of Dragonite, Tapu-Koko, and Toxapex. Toxapex is a beast and can tank almost anything.

I've bred a few perfect Gible and Honedge in case I want to change the team up a bit.

11. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Started with Rowlet, and through Wonder trade I've managed to grab both Litten and Popplio. I love people sometimes.

Taking quite a while to fill in this dex for me, only at 60% so far.

Also, we bombed the global competition hard. Wonder if they just overestimated the amount.

12. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

A question to those who understand breeding.

If I want to get a Skarmory with stealth rock, who am I supposed to pair the skarmory with to get the egg move? I don't really understand this stuff at all and at least for 7th edition it's not yet updated in Bulbapedia.

13. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Look up Skarmory in Serebii, then take a gander at the egg moves section. There's a (details) link that takes you to a handy list of which Pokemon can learn what egg move by which parent.

Then prepare to be disappointed as you find out that in Sun and Moon, Skarmory doesn't have any compatible parents to teach it stealth rock! In previous generations there was the move tutor for it though, so maybe you'd be able to send one over when pokebank opens up.

14. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Thanks a lot. Better not waste anymore time on that then. Such a shame :/

15. Stan

Stan Order Member

Heh. Reminds me of the time I beat Steven's Metagross using my Lv. 20 Shedinja in Sapphire (after losing to him again and again). Nothing it could do could touch me, so I PP stalled it to death. Although, unlike you, I remember feeling really great about my supposed ingenuity afterwards.

16. Seratin

High Score:
    I remember reading that the move tutor this gen has been changed. They now teach all compatible egg moves regardless of parentage. I think. You might want to check that out. :/

Also: Stan There's no shame in that. It's genius.

17. Alindrome

I'm at 99% for my Alola pokedex! All I've got left is one stubborn 'mon.

...get in the fucking legendary, Nebby.

18. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    98%, here. Just gotta farm a bunch of Magnemite to steal Metal Coat so I can trade a Scyther to evolve. Also, grabbing a slowpoke for Slowking, since I forgot that it was Slowbro/Slowking, not Slowbro -> Slowking.

God damn, these can get convoluted sometimes. Like frickin' Weavile. "Alright, go farm a 1% encounter Pokemon in order to steal their item so your Sneasel can hold it and level up. Also, it can only evolve at night."

19. Seratin

High Score:
    My second playthrough has felt more satisfying despite it being a meat grinder early on. Like, up until Lana's trial I was losing Pokemon left right and centre. It was a miracle I didn't lose my starter. Somehow though, my team has become fucking tight.

McGregor the Incineroar
    SwampThing the Golisopod
    Sniebel the Sneasel
    Slowmara the Slowbro
    Shiv the Doublade
    Lola the A-Raichu.

After almost 20 deaths to end up with this strong of a team is nothing short of a miracle.

20. Alindrome

Butterfree has an ability called Compound Eyes, which increases the chance of encountering a Pokemon with its hold item by 50%, if you didn't know. It'll make life a lot easier.