1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Week 11: Goblet of Fire, Ch. 29-37

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by BTT, Jan 9, 2017.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Alright, final chapters of Goblet of Fire.

2. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

So, unlike a few speculations in the thread regarding the Lestranges' arrest, it wasn't "in the act". Crouch might've not even been a part of it, he was only caught with them.
    Now, we can never really trust Rita's writing or her shady sources, but assuming this is true, it is interesting, especially considering that in the same day that this article gets published, Voldemort uses Nagini's venom for his regeneration potion. It made me wonder whether serpents are part of the Horcrux making process, which is why they are so rare (the guy who invented Horcruxes was, incidentally, also a Parselmouth).
    That's an interesting choice of words. It implies that the Death Eaters not only knew that Voldemort made himself immortal, but actually had knowledge of his method, and of the fact that it was steps, not just a step, as if they're aware of the multiple Horcruxes.
    And what could they do even if they located him? (several characters actually mention that Voldemort was rumored to be in Albania, so it wasn't a big secret, apparently.) Those aurors must have had some strange experiences while searching for him.
    Another strange sentence. Why is it "embrace mortal life", when he already had Horcruxes? maybe he means that Horcruxes don't necessarily grant perpetual youth and vitality, which is what you need the regeneration potion for?

One inconsistency that really glares out to me in this book is the use of nonverbal magic - Dumbledore, for instance, actually calls out the incantation for the simplest spells (though only occasionally), as does Cedric. I guess Rowling hadn't quite thought out the concept at that stage.

Another topic that should be addressed is the "power level" of wizards. I think that we all tend to overestimate it. Cedric and Fleur are supposed to be the best wizards in their schools (at least of those who applied for the Tournament) and yet Fleur failed the second task because she couldn't handle a bunch of Grindylows, something that Harry easily did, and could also do by the end of third year. I guess her veela charm doesn't really work on non-humans ;). Cedric doesn't seem that capable either.

3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Guess that debunks the clairvoyant Ron theory.

Oh, Ron.

Meaning that he had to have lost his other eye after the first war was over somehow.

Huh, I didn't remember Ludo Bagman had had a trial, too.

The boy is Crouch Jr. The regal woman is presumably Bellatrix. No idea who the nervous and thickset men are. The other Lestranges, maybe?

I take this to mean the Shield Charm forms an orb around the caster. It's rather vague, so I can see where others might disagree.
    Also, no mention of it blocking physical things.

It'd be hilarious if some well-meaning bureaucrat at the Ministry of Magic managed to coerce the Dursleys into coming to the TWT.

Don't be so amazed, Harry, with all those hints anyone could've solved it.

Voldemort's really sabotaging his own recruitment efforts. Thanks for that revelation, Cursed Child.

Oh, Wormtail.

So, who is who?
    The one that was "too cowardly to return" and the one that "left me forever", who will be killed? We can guess the most faithful is Bartemius Crouch Jr.
    I feel as if one of the other two is most likely Karkaroff - I think he's the coward - but who the last one is, no idea.

Also, I was going over the list of Death Eaters mentioned by Sirius before that, and Wilkes is basically the least popular Death Eater in fanfic, isn't he? I can't recall him ever being accorded the power and/or influence attributed to fanfic versions of Malfoy, Nott, Macnair, Dolohov, Rosier...

It turns out Animagi can speak with the animal they transform into. Odd. On that note, I wonder why Voldemort never became an Animagus, or if he did why he never transformed. He certainly doesn't seem lacking in talent; maybe there's some other intrinsic quality involved?

The thought occured to me that the way Voldemort got his [strikethrough]groove[/strikethrough] body back involved Wormtail raping Bertha Jorkins. As such Voldemort's his "son". Now there's a cheering thought.
    ...I wonder if that technically makes the Cursed Child (whose name I can't be fucked to remember at the moment) his granddaughter?

Seems rather contrived. I think the movies just had Neville give Harry gillyweed, which is much simpler.

Fucking Winky. Sole reason Voldemort was resurrected as easily as he was, right there, especially considering she's the reason Berta Jorkins's memory was damaged in the first place. And to think Hermione wants to free the little fuckers.

I can't exactly disagree, but I feel this wasn't the best way to go about things.

Huh, I forgot Fleur and Krum came to say goodbye.

So it turns out charms and/or curses can mix, somehow. Fascinating.

4. Stan

Stan Order Member

I thought it was quite obvious that it was Snape. At this point, Voldemort believes Snape's defected to Dumbledore.

The last part is this brief moment we see towards the end of GoF:

Perhaps the most low-key badass moment in the books. How many times has Dumbledore sounded apprehensive, ever?