1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Week 15: Order of the Phoenix, Ch. 20 - 25

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by BTT, Feb 6, 2017.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What a twat.

That's all kinds of disgusting.

Dark.

So since Hagrid says they couldn't take a Portkey to the giants since the Ministry was watching Dumbledore. Wonder why. I suppose it's because Dumbledore couldn't just make Horcruxes willy-nilly, but that doesn't seem entirely credible.

Christ, from how these giants are described I can't blame wizards for murdering them.

Don't be a little bitch, Harry.

Room of Requirement doesn't stretch forever, it seems.

Poor Neville.

Nice.

Can't help but agree, Ron. Women, amirite?

Wonder what this is about? Horcruxery, probably, but more specifically than that. I thought that by this point Dumbledore had figured that part out.

This whole bit of St. Mungo's is pretty enjoyable.

Nice resolution of that little plotline.

I assume the reason they didn't apparate to St. Mungos is because they'd have to Side-Along the kids.

Damn, what a subtle call forward to DH.

In fact, have another call forward!

Snape's explanation of Legilimency makes the way it usually comes up in fanfiction seem so very trite.

Interesting.

So we know who murdered those two. Didn't remember that.

I feel like this is a missed opportunity for understated heroism from Neville, here, what with him being in the area. If he'd just recognized it, then he'd have had a quick moment in the limelight.

Damn.

The date with Cho is a disaster, but honestly I feel like there's bizarrely little Harry/Cho fanfiction. In fact, the only ones I can remember offhand are those I've caught only glimpses of through DLP signatures. And typically those are fucking weird.

2. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I recall an argument about warming charms and whether they are canon. I think this is a pretty good proof for them.
    And here we have a pretty good example of how silly the fanon notion about Slytherin pureblood manners is. Even the most crass kids I went to school with wouldn't make fun of a teacher to his face. Hagrid really should have given Malfoy a good course of detentions over the years for that kind of shit. And I mean the first year kind of detentions.
    Rowling really needs a good fact-checker. I mean, I know Nagini is a magical snake, but that's really not how snake fangs work. They're not meant to tear flash or break bones like mammal fangs, but simply to inject venom. She made the same mistake with the Basilisk.
    Those aren't Nagini's thought. Those are Voldemort's thoughts concerning Dumbledore. Could it be that a part of his transformations was making him think more like a snake than a human? that would certainly explain some of his actions.
    Sorry, Ginny, but being possessed by a Horcrux doesn't make you an expert on possessions. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the story with Quirrell.​
    I just realized that Kreacher is the opposite of Dobby. He left his master to give his enemy important details about the other side.
    Jesus, Sirius, you could have just told him it's a device that will let him talk to you, instead of one that "lets me know if Snape's giving you a hard time", which doesn't sound nearly as useful. Poor Communication Kills once again.
    That sound like a neat little charm that could have been used a lot more.​

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Chapter 20: Hagrid's Tale

It's a raw dragon steak. Dog spit is the least of his problems.

Can you imagine if they'd won the giants allegiance, and then the goblins had taken the helmet back as being their property?

Yes. The French. Not the giant.

Chapter 21: The Eye of the Snake

Well he's not a complete idiot then.

Implying that either she's tried to learn it privately, or it's actually a part of the curriculum at some stage. Wonder which of the DADA staff tried to teach her, if so?

Chapter 22: St Mungo's Hospital

Presumably if it's pointing at mortal peril, there's some sort of notification charm?

Filch spying for her? They did run into Mrs Norris.

Nice little Snape/Sirius parallel with the cowardice thing.

A very appropriate name for the concealed hospital. Also, I'd completely forgotten this entrance.

1. Awesome name.
    2. How the hell does that achievement merit a spot on a hospital wall? Are they grateful for the business his victims brought in?

Chapter 22: Christmas on the Closed Ward

I'm leaving this here for the next manipulative Dumbledore thread. Also, later in the book, Harry mentions that only Death Eaters call Voldemort the Dark Lord.

Not necessarily a recommendation.

Ouch.

Not just a few charms then. Although presumably this type of cure is either obsolete or only for serious stuff, as you'd think it would have been mentioned if any of the students were having to walk around like this.

This gets me every time.

Chapter 24: Occlumency

Rather like a Dementor, in fact.

A bit of a charitable interpretation, but never mind.

Wonder how Nearly Headless Nick feels about these?

Chapter 25: The Beetle at Bay

They're insanely lucky that no-one else touched it by accident.

I'd forgotten how funny Lee could be.

So that's a minimum of ten lessons a week that she's observing (assuming she's not just following Harry's year), plus 'teaching' her own classes, which is a minimum of seven a week...where does she find the time?

So not anything and everything then? That brings some of my headcanon about magic into question, although it's also somewhat contradictory to how the spell is used in future books.

Poor Communication Kills (your best friend's love life)

There might be whole streams of interesting info here, but it's so excruciatingly awkward to read that I couldn't tell you. Which isn't a criticism, that's exactly how it's supposed to be. So...good job, I guess?

4. walruswarrior

walruswarrior Muggle

High Score:
    Does it expel the entrails or their contents? Maybe it's a cure for constipation or something.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If is called a curse, so I doubt that's true...on the other hand, I kinda love the idea that all the fics that use it to ramp up the violence are just hilariously wrong, so yeah, let's go with that.