1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Decent Fallout Fics?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by TheWiseTomato, Feb 11, 2017.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone have any decent Fallout fics? Crossover or otherwise.

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've got this that I've been thinking about putting up for review: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11968541/1/The-Litany-of-the-Elders

Basically during his time in the army, the male!SS was best friends with Roger Maxon, the founder of the Brotherhood of Steel. The SS is mentioned throughout the Brotherhood's religious texts and is almost like a minor deity to them except it's clear his views don't really align with the Brotherhood's.

The story is still very much in its infancy and the Prydwen hasn't arrived yet so there's been limited contact but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been re-reading Fallout: Equestria. Disclaimer: It's the only MLP fic I read nowadays, but it's aged well and the writing quality is awesome. The author found a nice balance between the angst of the post-Apocalypse and the fluffiness of MLP. I especially like the way we're shown the history of the Wasteland.

5. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

There's Thistle and Black as Oil by SickleYield. Both are set in the Capital Wasteland featuring mainly side characters or OCs. It's been a while since I've read either of them but I remember enjoying them a lot. SickleYield's just got a page-turner sort of writing in my opinion.

6. LispyLizard

LispyLizard Squib

High Score:
    One of my most favorite fics is New California Dreaming by Hotpoint. It stars an NCR trooper in the Capital Wasteland who does many things in parallel of the Lone Wanderer. The characters are very interesting and likable and the author provides some refreshers in lore at the end of each chapter. My only disappointment is that the author stopped writing and it doesn't look like they'll ever start it back up. However, the work that is written out is really well done and fun to read.

7. TheBurningBagel

TheBurningBagel Second Year

High Score:
    https://m.fanfiction.net/s/9128055/1/Wanderer-s-Diary

The Wanderers Diary, a telling of Fallout 3 through the eyes of an increasingly deranged protagonist. The first few chapters are fun but not great, later on it becomes something that's actually pretty awesome.

8. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I would suggest the Children of the Atom series by CommandoCuccumber on FF.net. It's certainly unique and truly the best of the genre, I feel - even if the grammar mistakes within the first story can be a bit annoying. Though, to be fair, the story gets a LOT better. It's post main plot of F3 - set two years after, if I remember correctly. The LW isn't a hero...not exactly. It's a very mature look at what a story set in a post-war world would be like.

Hope you like it! Here's the first story.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6923615/1/Fallout-3-Modus-Operandi

9. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

There's a decent prototype/NV cross. A Dead World. If you can deal with how fucking angst mercer is. It's got plenty of words and the author has a talent writing. I like it because it got me back into NV.

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah that's a decent enough one. Biggest problem with it is the unnecessarily inflated word count, but otherwise interesting.

11. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I just want to find a proper story arc like the Children of the Atom that's finished. I hate reading fics that are dead.

12. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This fic has updated for the first time in months and is now being written by the beta-reader. It doesn't look good from here.

13. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Has anyone else read it? I saw the update but don't have any memory of where this left off and don't have time to do a reread at the moment.

Is it something that could be saved in the WbA?

14. blob

blob Seventh Year

Re Litany: I have no idea what the allure of this fic is supposed to be. The idea behind it could be interesting, but everything in this story is average at best. I can’t think of anything that would make you care about... well, anything about the world the author created.

And Dead World is fucking amazing. Fite me if you disagree
    (Broody Mercer is canon Mercer btw - I think that the author is very accurate to his portrayal, much as it can be accurate to the original)

Children of the Atom was good. The Cthuluesque Point Lookout fell rather flat because it just doesn’t fit well into the universe IMP, but I found mostly everything else solid.

And a pet peeve - why do authors insist of adding those damn aliens into their stories? It was supposed to be a small easter egg and the only reason Mothership Zeta was created is because Bethesda writers are shit. Unless it’s a crossover with Mass Effect or similar there’s not supposed to be Aliens in the Fallout stories. Stop.

15. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I don't think anyone would readily disagree that its terrible. Mostly they think that the same story could be told in less words. I tend to agree in some cases.