1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Upgrade Advice + Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Churchey, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

So how about this one? Recommended on tomshardware and I like the looks, so I'm arguing with myself about increasing the price.

So I've been looking into a lot about this particular case and the fans that fit it, and found this review:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/deepcool-dukase-computer-chassis,30599.html

Which says 170mm max height. Pcpartpicker says something similar, that the dark rock pro 3 fits without issue.

I'm confused :/

edit: Ugh this is so frustrating. The black version is 170mm but the white is 160mm http://deepcool.com/product/case/2016-03/9_4850.shtml

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Sure, go for it.

Edit: About the case: the one in the article you linked is not the one you picked. Look at the picture of the one you picked, and then the picture of the one in that article. As you can see, the window on the one in the article is slightly raised, which gives it the higher cooler clearance.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  3. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Yep thanks for your patience, to think that the cpu cooler would be the thing that takes me longest to find...

The kraken also wouldn't fit, 310mm max vs the 312.5 of the kraken. Going with deepcool that has good ratings from what I can find.

4. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Heh good catch on the Kraken being too long, didn't even notice that. Though I looked on Deepcool's website, where they actually don't have that information for some reason.

5. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Well I started working backwards and used pcpartpicker to find other builds using the case, selected high budget builds, and started looking at what they had used. Looked up reviews on their picks and that's how I found this one

---------- Post automerged 03-06-2017 at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-05-2017 at 11:33 PM ----------

So I've ordered everything. Currently the video card comes Wednesday, everything else has arrived or will arrive before then.

Except the case which has three day shipping and is currently on order verification...c'mon new egg get your shit together.

This will be the fourth computer I've put together myself, and I feel like I will make it more complicated than it needs to be. Do you happen to have any tips or things to be sure to not forget?

6. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Don't forget the spacers for the motherboard, take off the plastic tape from the cooler, do decent cable management, and make sure the SATA-mode of your BIOS is set to AHCI before installing Windows (if it isn't by default). You know, basic stuff. Oh and read up on push or pull configurations for radiators.

7. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Computer setup, drivers installed.

Had to pick a different case after newegg cancelled my order after 3 days. Ordered a nzxt S340 instead and got it in a day. One downside is that I can't fit in my dvd-rw drive, but I'm okay with that. Had to use it to install windows with it just hanging out of the case, but I think in general everything looks pretty nice. The business portion of it looks great, but I need to get my tiedowns all sorted on the opposite side. I wish I had went for a semi-modular powersupply and a white gpu now that I'm looking at the overall layout, but it sits under my desk anyway.

Installed windows and drivers, copied over what files I needed and then wiped the old 1TB harddrive before connecting it to the new machine.

8. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Soooo everything is running great...except youtube is giving me issues. Nothing else, just youtube. Random youtube crashes where it gets stuck on loading/freezes the tab/freezes chrome/goes greenscreen.

Working on finding a fix but if anyone has dealt with something similar let me know

9. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Try turning Hardware Acceleration on/off (depending on how it's set now). Also try it in a different browser to see if chrome or your pc is the issue. And good to hear that everything worked fine, and you didn't recieve any dead hardware.

10. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

So as I save up to fix up my peripherals, what monitors should I be on the lookout for?

After research, from what I understand I should be focusing on a 1-5ms, 144hz, ips, with gsync.

With my 1060 card, I should focus on getting a 2560x1440 rather than a 4k uhd screen, right? Is going for a 27in monitor going to leave me unhappy with my lower end graphics card?

Any advice appreciated. Also going to to take some pictures of the completed build and post sometime this week.

11. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Pretty much, though keep in mind that Gsync will bind you to Nvidia. Also, Gsync is like $100+ more expensive than monitors without it.

The 1060, like mentioned before, will probably also struggle with running some games at 1440p with max details (if you want 60FPS that is). So yeah, no 4K. What's your budget for the monitor?

Nice

12. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I get my stipend for being Science Coordinator this month (last business day) along with my stipend for running Saturday school. So I'm hoping I can convince my wife I've been a good boy who deserves it and spend around $500 with the rest going into savings. That depends on the cost of redoing the landscaping around the house which we are tackling this month. If it goes over budget, I'm probably holding onto all of that money until a later date.

Should I not bother with g-sync then? Should I bother with it and commit to nvidia?

Overall I just want to get a quality brand that's larger than 23/24". 27" is fine, 32/34/ultrawide is good too. The goal would be the best possible overall quality/price ratio.

13. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Well, gsync would be really helpfull for running games at 1440p with the 1060. Problem is 1440p 144Hz gsync monitors with an IPS panel are rather expensive - in fact I couldn't name you a single one that's $500 or less. Most are $600-$700. You could go for one with a TN panel instead, but then you have worse image quality. Or get one without gsync, which would open up a lot more possible monitors, but games wouldn't look as smooth later.

14. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I bought a 27 inch monitor off amazon last week(Asus ROG Swift PG278QR) . Been using it as my primary. It's worth the money, I'm playing much better in Overwatch, BF1 and Counterstrike. Prior to having the 144hz I was a garbage sniper, now I'm landing shots which get me called a hacker.

There is a 144hz 4k monitor coming out later this year which will probably lower the price of the 1440p one.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  15. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

So I'm running into a new issue.

I'm supposed to have frontier fios giving me 50up/50down but over wifi it's more like 5/6 and my wife can't stream while I game or I rubberband like crazy.

I ran the wire through the ceiling and wall and gave myself an ethernet connection to work with instead, but I can't get it to connect.

The ethernet "doesn't have a valid IP address"

ipconfig /renew hangs in the command prompt and most of my google fu answers have given me no results.

Any advice on what to do next/where to ask next?

Fixed it with regedit after enough googling.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  16. Tsundereworks

Tsundereworks Squib

High Score:
    If you want a good price 144hz monitor try out the Philips gaming 24" 144hz https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824133194 I mean it has a ugly red bezel on the bottom but best bang for buck I suppose.

I know nothing about gsync sounds like a gimmick to me I've been using BenQ 144hz monitors ever since Acer stopped making 120hz. Actually you can usually pick up BenQ monitors on sale pretty often.

17. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
  18. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

19. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

27" is kind of small for a monitor anymore.

20. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

The thing you're missing is that it's 1080p. Also it has weird connectors - 1x HDMI and 1x VGA for some reason.