1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Week 21: Half-Blood Prince, Ch. 23 - 30

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by BTT, Mar 20, 2017.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So how does he know about it?

Shouldn't that fall under Transfiguration?

Imagine he'd done so. That'd have been a real sight.

I forgot that Snape used Legilimency to see where Harry learned the Sectumsempra. Not like anything ever came of it, anyway. I guess that because of that, Harry learns that the Room of Requirement had loads of shit stashed inside?

cheeky little shit

Guess Trelawney got the last laugh.

Must've been subtle protections.

You know, what if Harry took the Felix with him? More deaths, that's for sure, but maybe Dumbledore would've stayed alive just that little bit longer.

So transfigure its basin? Or just dump it out all over the floor.

Dumbledore making Harry watch him die is a real dick move. You can ask if he could've done something else, but it's Dumbledore. (Real question is if Harry not seeing Dumbledore die would make for a better story, honestly.)

Ron battles a Death Eater all by himself. Just wanted to put that out there.

Considering this became a meme, the fact Harry repeats that over and over like a mantra's pretty hilarious.

God, this whole romantic development happening right after Dumbledore's death. Really muddles the conclusion.

So they can leave the physical castle. Wonder how far, though.

Wonder who did the funeral speech. Don't think wizards have priests.

2. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Yes, Harry saw the diadem in the RoR.

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]No, Tom, that's insane.[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]Well, if they all die, at least the portraits will remember.[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]No, Dumbledore, he used a Killing Curse.[/FONT]​
    How does that matter? he still condemned an innocent baby to death.
    Of course, we know that he only cared about Lily, but from Harry's point of view it still sounds like a dumb excuse.
    And he has the nerve to torment Harry for every little thing. Man, fuck Snape.
    Considering that those additional protections would not have prevented Greyback from biting a few children, and that several students almost died because of Malfoy's plan (which he allowed), I'd say you do.
    Not as good as just making yourself invisible, like you told Harry to do, and not letting anyone know you've left the castle.
    Though, I guess considering all the drinking in this book, no one would doubt he went for a drink.
    Man, that's a pretty good body-bind spell.
    No Lupin, don't tell him that they were once actually friends, you wouldn't want to spoil Rowling's grand revelation.

Well this book was crap.​

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. brad

brad Third Year

Ah, yet another example of Rowling deliberately lying to her readers just so she could spring a 'surprise' later on; I didn't know this one. Such lazy and deceitful writing! :(

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Chapter 23: Horcruxes

You fucking liar! Yes, I know that technically, Voldemort didn't make the Horcrux in Harry, and it's not quite the same thing, but still.

I suppose, from a certain point of view, knowledge of wandlore is a skill...it's certainly uncommon.

Which some fans could do with remembering (Dark!Harry I can understand, even if it's not something I especially go for, but I've never got the fics that turn Harry into Voldemort's ally - at least without significant changes to Voldemort himself).

Chapter 24: Sectumsempra

For all that it's dismissed as coming out of nowhere (with some justification) I don't remember there being this much about Harry's budding feelings for Cho.

Harry as Seer again. Also, where do we stand morally on using a luck potion to swing the odds of getting off with someone? Clearly not as dodgy as a Love Potion, but it's not entirely innocent, to my mind. Kind of like posting a dishonest profile on a dating site, or something.

You know what? This scene is cliched, cheesy, shamelessly melodramatic along the lines of so many crap Hollywood romcoms...and I love it. It puts a smile on my face every time I read it. I'll hand in my DLP badge now.

Chapter 25: The Seer Overhead

So, quick poll, and working on the assumption that this doesn't just mean members of the Order patrolling the castle (as I think it's been implied that's happening whether he's there or not):
    1) There were additional protections, but Draco and the Death Eaters overcame them.
    2) There were additional protections, but Snape took them down to allow Draco's plan to work.
    3) There were no additional protections, because Dumbledore knew Draco was ready to go with the plan.

What's the house-elf for friend, then?

Where's Taure to clarify the whole magical power thing when you need him?

Chapter 27: The Lightning-struck Tower

Really? We're calling Azkaban safe now?

Chapter 29: The Phoenix Lament

Well...

No you're not. Not for long, anyway.

Chapter 30: The White Tomb

Just in time for a funeral! Although in fairness, I guess Dumbledore would have been fine with it.

Well, Ron and Hermione can't say they weren't warned. And neither can the readers.