1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP With This Ring by Mr Zoat- T - Young Justice

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Nemrut, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

The plot is dragging, the characters are running away from the script, and we are a scant 2 months away from probably the end of the fic (in fic time). Thats when Paul's year is up, and that would be a good stop place.
    I look forward to a solid conclusion, but I have actually enjoyed it. Its not stellar, but its certainly library worthy.
    4/5

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Anyone still following this? Some exciting stuff is happening right now.

Quite enjoying what is happening atm (disregarding the Renegade stuff, I'm skipping that) and a lot of build-up is paying off right now.

3. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Yeah, I'm still following it. It's been pretty hit or miss most chapters but it's been that way for a while. I definitely agree on the Renegade stuff, it fucking sucks 90% of the time (mostly I think because of the stupid extended cast of weird characters he's surrounded himself with).

But yeah, we're finally getting to the Klarion/Nabu takedown which holy shit is that overdue. I hope the payoff is worth it because it has had a shit ton of build up and if not handled well will be pretty disappointing. Can't wait though, I think it will be pretty interesting.

I'm a little worried about what comes afterwards too. I'm guessing blowup with the League and Paul disappearing off planet for a while, which means the story is even more off the rails than it has been lately. Which can be good or bad, but seeing some of the crazy plot points the author has gone with lately I don't feel overly optimistic. Still, the main character has been working towards this for ages, so hopefully he has a pretty solid storyline worked out.

4. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Still following, still enjoying. The build up for this has been, as said, a long time coming, and it's nice to see things coming together at last. It'll still take a while before we get to the conclusion of it, but we're building up speed towards it now.

I'm reading the Grayven parts though. I didn't mention it last time, but I don't like the long periods of just Grayven stuff - it isn't always important to the story. It might well become so, but it just feels like the author expanding the background and blowing off steam. I'm glad he's keeping them in only small numbers, because I care more about the plot than ULTIMATE POWER.

I really hope it stays similar to current when Paul leaves. AFAIK, the author's stuck pretty close to canon events for most of the story, not much changing drastically along the way. There's been some non-canon events, but generally the canon ones happened too.

But once we get off-planet, is there going to be a continuity, or is it just going to become "Orange Lantern bumming around the universe and doing things because why not"?

5. Nemrut

High Score:
    He will be off-planet during the time-skip between seasons 1 and 2, right? And I remember reading that the author intended to write content for that period inbetween seasons as well, so, guess we'll be exploring quite a few planets and alien civilizations during that time. Maybe some actual corps-building.

That's a lot of stuff. Not to mention season 2 and we have been in season 1 for a long while and with a lot of words. The upside is, he'll still be writing by the time season 3 comes out.

6. Nemrut

High Score:
    In case anyone, (like me), kinda stopped following this because the off-earth stuff was kinda boring at times, as of a few days ago, OL has now returned to earth. For those who skipped all that, he basically has founded his Orange Lantern corps, has like 30 members and is now back, after I think 2 months.

I skipped some stuff as well, but think the most relevant things were that Starfire and her sister are also Orange Lanterns now.

Here is the start of the arc of him returning to earth.

7. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I was really into this before it became such a hardcore wankfic. It really made me want some interesting Young Justice fics, and helped to fill the void after I finished the available seasons.

I tried to get back into it after Nemrut updated the thread, and I just can't. If you're looking for something to scratch the itch of a comic story it's ok pretty much up to the end of the first seasonish. It unravels really quickly.

8. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

What I always hated was the fact that he made his character 16-18 in body but he's like mid 20s in reality, but he still lusts after some of the Young Justice members (but won't do anything because of them being too young).
    Just make your character actually 16-18. It just felt like another thing Paul would go on and on about for why his life is so hard. It got repetitive and annoying after awhile.

9. syed

syed Supermod

The thing is now he has built up such a power structure, and so seriously upset the old status quo, we will see the concequences and the backlash all fall back on him, and earth.

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been enjoying this, even to the point of checking in on it every day, but lately...the MC has been acting like an autist. The thing that gets my goat the most is the dialogue. Orange Lantern talks to people in a way that suggests a lot of missed social cues; not on his part, but behalf of his conversation partner. From what I can tell his manner of speech is supposed to be a result of achieving 'enlightenment', but damn. Added to this is the current arc, where as a result of wanting to put his dick into an assassin, OL has decided to revive every person they ever killed, so they wouldn't be a murderer, or something.

I enjoy the fic, but damn it makes it hard sometimes.

11. Thaumologist

High Score:
    So there appears to be a bit of a dust-up in the comments in the thread on SV. This is my completely surprised face.

Zoat/DC's depiction of Hell being endless suffering, and hellenists going "wtf that's really unfair" has caused backlash. I can't be bothered to dig through all the posts to find out everything everyone said, or what really upset people the most, but mods locked the thread.

So Zoat has said "unlock in 24 hours or I'm going to QQ", to which the Admins have said "don't be a dick, let us review all these reports".

So anyone else still following, you might want to check QQ for tomorrow's update. Today's was story-only thread only, but I dunno if that one's going to keep being used.

12. Nemrut

High Score:
    Think someone said that maybe don't write about religion in a way that portrays DC Christianity as objectively evil which needs to be fought and others, predictably, didn't like that sentiment. Starts around the middle of page 2937, if anyone cares for the drama of it all (which I very much did, now that you brought it up @Thaumologist )

Ah, same person also brought up their opinion on same-sex marriage later on, which soured things, understandably.

Meh, got heated for a bit but then seemed to die down.

Not sure I will read it on QQ, tbh. All that said, wasn't enjoying Paul's time on earth as much as I thought I would, it was surprisingly boring.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

From what I understand Zoat just gave an ultimatum without even talking to the staff about the thread lock. He impresses me more and more each time he throws one of these fits.

14. Thaumologist

High Score:
    I guess it has to be annoying if your thread keeps getting locked because the readers are assholes, but I would've thought Zoat knew the mods by know, given how many locks and so on he's had to deal with. So a bit of a fit isn't going to help anyone.

15. Nemrut

High Score:
    Thread is open again and author has posted the segment there as well.

16. FlyingOctopus

FlyingOctopus Third Year

And there's no mention of QQ anymore, so I presume it has all flown over. I felt it was kind of a dickmove from Zoat to just dump that ultimatum on the mods like that though.

That said, I'd miss my 1k words in my morning before I go on with my routine but I wouldn't have made a QQ account for the story either. Routine kind of sums up the story nowadays and I don't feel all that strongly about the story anymore.

17. Nemrut

High Score:
    Pretty much this. I admit, this "drama" was the most interesting thing to happen in this story for months, so there is that.

18. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

Maybe I'm missing something, but what is QQ?

19. Nemrut

High Score:
    Questionable Questing is another forum like Space Battles or Sufficient Velocity only that it allows NSFW stuff, smut stories and quests and the like.

20. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

First there was Spacebattles, and then some people got sick of the rules and made a new forum with blackjack and hookers. This was called SufficientVelocity and for a time it was good. Until some people got sick of the rules and made a new forum with Russian roulette and thai ladyboys. This was called QuestionableQuesting and... it's a thing.